The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Chris Pronger traded to Arizona

If Philly is allowed to do this, we should have the Luongo rule revoked. The league even let LA get away with cap relief for Voynov.

The Luongo rule was for long contracts with front loaded money. It's deliberate disrespect for the salary cap.

Technically, Philly is merely trading a player, who just so happens to never play again. He is still under payroll. He is still under a league approved contract. There's nothing wrong with it IMO.

Yes it was and it was wrong for Bettman to change the rules retroactively. I'm sure they could've taken that to court and won but there would've been repercussions.

As soon as one of these guys with a huge contract retires and the league tries to put that huge fine on the team, I think for us if Lu in his final year of his contract retires we get hit with like an 8 million dollar cap hit, the nhl is going to get sued. There is no way an Owner is going to accept an 8 million dollar cap penalty on a contending team. The contract was within the rules the player was under 34 when the contract was signed and there was no evidence found from the team or the player that they did not intend to play out their full contract. So really I think in court the team or owners who sue would win quite easily. Bettman saying oh we warned teams is complete and utter $&!#. They did not even review the Hossa contract when it was signed and it's one of the most blatant cap circumventing contracts out there. It honestly wasn't until Luongo signed his contract where they were like um no you can't do that! and you look at the contract compare it to Hossa and its like wtf how does this get investigated and not Hossa's.

In the courts I just can't see the NHL winning these cases. They were within the rules when they were signed and APPROVED by the nhl. The last thing bettman wants is NHL owners suing the league which they will do.

Lmao...how can a player be traded when they don't play, and will never play again. The asset in this trade on Arizona's end is pure cap circumvention in the deal to be below the cap floor.

Cap circumvention trade...for Arizona. The league was consulted and approved this. What they should have done was got all teams to agree to just take it off the books and fix that in next cba.

The Arizona tank may not have started today, but this was the first dirty move I've seen in a while. Expect more to come and the league to approve to keep the Coyotes there. That is what this move is about. Expect more salary to be shed...eventually below the cap floor with the Pronger contract.

Cap circumvention, but unfortunately this is a giant loophole in the new CBA. It's really irritating, because Vancouver and New Jersey got punished for cap circumvention, but thanks to a stupid loophole, Toronto and Arizona can circumvent the cap with Horton and Pronger. What a joke. Bettman should punish both teams.

I wont be surprise to see Savard being dealt from the bruins this summer either.

I would be, it's not a 35+ contract and Savard is earning basically league minimum now in salary. He'll just retire.

But while I agree Pronger's situation is nothing like Luongo's, it's absolute crap the NHL would not only allow, but actually consult on a deal like this. Pronger's contract is a 35+ deal and should impact the cap if he retires. I'd settle for having him stay on LTI for the rest of it, but not the circumvention of wiping the slate clean or allowing a trade such as this.

To be fair LA shouldn't be punished cause Voynov is a woman beating moron.

Well, there are lots of things that maybe shouldn't be so strict under the CBA. Like having a rule nicknamed after one of our former players for a deal that was legal when signed but now being penalized retroactively.

Cap circumvention, but unfortunately this is a giant loophole in the new CBA. It's really irritating, because Vancouver and New Jersey got punished for cap circumvention, but thanks to a stupid loophole, Toronto and Arizona can circumvent the cap with Horton and Pronger. What a joke. Bettman should punish both teams.

I agree all the teams should be punished, but everyone is missing the point. How did they trade an untradable contract?

If everyone in here would just agree no contract is untrabable and anyone who says one is should be punched in the face my mission will be accomplished.

The Arizona tank may not have started today, but this was the first dirty move I've seen in a while. Expect more to come and the league to approve to keep the Coyotes there. That is what this move is about. Expect more salary to be shed...eventually below the cap floor with the Pronger contract.

Just more losses that the team can claim in damages against the city of Glendale.

Archived