The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tank or Nah?

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TANK FAM

VAN:

Miller

Higgins

SJS:

2nd Rd. Pick, 2016

Conditional 3rd Rd. Pick, 2016 (becomes a 4th if the Sharks miss the playoffs)

VAN:

Vrbata

MTL:

1st Rd. Pick, 2016

7th Rd. Pick, 2016

VAN:

Bieksa

Team in the east:

2nd Rd. Pick, 2016

VAN:

Bonino

BOS:

2nd Rd. Pick, 2016

Sign Emery

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Cassels-Dorsett

Kenins-Vey-Grenier

Friesen

Sbisa-Edler

Tanev-Clendening

Corrado-Hamhuis

Stanton

Markstrom

Emery

NAH FAM

VAN:

Higgins

Any West team:

2nd 2016

VAN:

Bonino

Corrado

6th 2016

BOS:

1st 2016

Sign Sekera, Vermette

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Vermette-Vrbata

Kassian-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Friesen/Vey-Dorsett

Vey/Friesen

Edler-Hamhuis

Sekera-Tanev

Sbisa-Weber

Clendening, Stanton

Miller

Markstrom

I think we need to acknowledge that we aren't up to much this year, pretty early on.

Team that I think will be better than us: Anaheim, LA, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado, Winnipeg, New York, New York, Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo.

21 teams, we could easily be in a similar position to 2013-14. If it's looking that way, we need to ship out assets for picks and take our high pick. If I'm wrong, I look forward to another exciting year, but I really don't think so.

The question/poll is asked as if the Canucks have a choice in the matter.

Circumstances are going to dictate the Canucks walk through some dark days ahead...I already have braced myself for the inevitability of some tough days (accepted that was going to be a way of life for us Canucks fans after being bounced out by the Sharks in the spring of 2013), so I'm actually in a pretty good state of mind and emotion.

Three more years...and the Canucks will be legit contenders. Things that have to happen: Markstrom becomes an elite NHL goalie; Horvat becomes the next coming of Jonathan Toews; Jordan becomes PK; Pedan or Tryamkin becomes Chara; Kassian and Virtanen become Neely and Linden; Cassels becomes Bergeron; McCann becomes Kesler; Willie D. becomes Quennville. Simple.

I would love to see that happen so I could put a few people here on blast for complaining about when the Sabres were tanking.... :lol:

It won't happen though because Aquaman wouldn't want to take the hit in his pocketbook from the low attendance.

Also, if Benning trades away all of the vets and doesn't get very good returns on them, the Canucks will be basement dwellers for too long of a time.

I think the Canucks will do fine this season. Benning just needs to keep the prospect pool well stocked. It's all about him getting good value back on his future trades and then choosing the right players in future drafts.

I would love to see that happen so I could put a few people here on blast for complaining about when the Sabres were tanking.... :lol:

It won't happen though because Aquaman wouldn't want to take the hit in his pocketbook from the low attendance.

Also, if Benning trades away all of the vets and doesn't get very good returns on them, the Canucks will be basement dwellers for too long of a time.

I think the Canucks will do fine this season. Benning just needs to keep the prospect pool well stocked. It's all about him getting good value back on his future trades and then choosing the right players in future drafts.

Totally agree with you. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out. Especially with the Lack trade, it's as if it's the end of the world, as if trading Lack is like trading Carey Price. Unbelievable!

Last year I figured we'd last 6 games in the first round of the playoffs..this year pretty much the same team and more than likely the same result as we slowly lose all these NTC's...

thank goodness a few young guys make it interesting.

No reason to tank. Next year's draft is good, but not like this year's. I'd make a bunch of trades, ship out certain players and replace them with other guys who can fit the new picture. Build through the draft from there without tanking, relying instead on Benning's masterful scouting.

Honestly I don't know.

This fan base probably can't handle a tank (attendance dropped big time after not making the playoffs the season before this past) but it's probably the better option (compared with mediocrity) to clean the slate and infuse some higher-quality youth. Then again, Edmonton's been an example of why you shouldn't go entirely scorched earth, lest you risk the kids not having the protection and mentoring they need to thrive, while teams like Philly in the past have thrived by retooling on the fly.

While I can't see it always working, I think that Philly's model is exactly what we should go for if we miss the playoffs.
Really reinforce the core while infusing youth (e.g. with higher draft picks and from traded vets) and lose all the expensive parts and parts which don't fit the team identity.

Honestly I don't know.

This fan base probably can't handle a tank (attendance dropped big time after not making the playoffs the season before this past) but it's probably the better option (compared with mediocrity) to clean the slate and infuse some higher-quality youth. Then again, Edmonton's been an example of why you shouldn't go entirely scorched earth, lest you risk the kids not having the protection and mentoring they need to thrive, while teams like Philly in the past have thrived by retooling on the fly.

While I can't see it always working, I think that Philly's model is exactly what we should go for if we miss the playoffs.

Really reinforce the core while infusing youth (e.g. with higher draft picks and from traded vets) and lose all the expensive parts and parts which don't fit the team identity.

I like your rational, and Philly is an excellent example of retooling on the fly. They may have one bad year, but they stay aggressive and are not afraid to make changes. Their style of play though is the difference. For some reason Philly and Boston, no matter what players they have, always play a physical, hard checking game and this is suited for deep playoff runs. Our team is almost the exact opposite of these teams in terms of style of play, which is probably why we rarely have a deep run. Either way, you gotta love the way they are not afraid to make changes, even trading richards and Carter was a gamble but hey at least they are trying.

No reason to tank. Next year's draft is good, but not like this year's. I'd make a bunch of trades, ship out certain players and replace them with other guys who can fit the new picture. Build through the draft from there without tanking, relying instead on Benning's masterful scouting.

Benning thinks it's better. Why do you think we gave up this year's second for Baertschi instead of next year's?

We do not need to tank. We just need to trade our players with values at the trade deadline for first rounders, which we can then use to move up and select a stud. Hamhuis, Edler, Higgins sound like good trade bait with high value. Get er done Benning! We will still be competitive without these guys, remember last year we had them injured and seemed fine. These are not franchise cornerstones anymore.

Benning thinks it's better. Why do you think we gave up this year's second for Baertschi instead of next year's?

Benning is in the extreme minority with that assessment. That's why he had to give a 2015 pick. I don't doubt that the other GM demanded it.

*edit* I typed "I'm" rather than "I".

Archived