The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Sports and Entertainment IS A BUSINESS.

BanTSN

The Canucks Sports and Entertainment company is here to provide us, the paying fans, with goods (entertainment in all forms related to Canucks (and Comets) hockey) and services (multiple avenues related to delivering said content to the paying fans) in exchange for money.

This company as it is, founded by John McCaw, and is now owned by the Aquilini family, has delivered top-notch quality sports and entertainment experiences to the fans for over two decades.

In that span we the paying fans have seen the Canucks 'franchise players', Henrik & Daniel Sedin, lead the league in regular season scoring and becoming mvp players for a few years in a row.

We the paying fans have also seen Markus Naslund become an mvp player in this time.

We have seen more playoff rounds won than any other Canadian team in that span.

We have seen other players such as Ryan Kesler, Todd Bertuzzi, Ed Jovanovski, Roberto Luongo, Alex Burrows, Matthias Ohlund, Kevin Bieksa and Trevor Linden all dazzle us with effort and warm our hearts while they play the game played on a sheet of ice, night by night.

The Canucks Sports and Entertainment company has become one of the most successful Sports and Entertainment companies in the country, perhaps following the Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment quality, in terms of sports and entertainment experiences being delivered to the fans in this country. While those experiences in Toronto over this period might not include as much winning games in the playoffs as we have enjoyed here in Vancouver, the fans are still paying top-dollar for quality sports and entertainment experiences there. The Toronto Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment company is very successful, and the Canucks Sports and Entertainment company is very successful.

We as the paying fans should be very happy that this company has been as successful as it has been, both on and off the ice. The represent a big part of what Vancouver is all about. Through charities like Canuck Place, to giving each and every fan a sounding board through all sorts of avenues if they so choose, and of course, delivering top quality sports and entertainment experiences in Rogers Arena, in Vancouver, each and every game night.

I guess the reason I am posting this is to remind everyone here at the Canucks.com fan forum just how successful this company, this team, has been over the years spanning into decades. No, it has not translated to a Stanley Cup win or wins as of yet, but that time may come. So sit back, relax, have another beer, and enjoy the game and how entertaining it has been and always will be here for us the paying fans for all these past and upcoming years.

Thank you.

Value received for price paid is the real crux of the argument here. A fan could be as entertained by a product to equal level whether they paid $75 or $150 for said product. Fans rarely have a choice of ticket cost in this this market due to the simple fact of supply and demand. You can't tell me a Canucks fan has gotten more entertainment dollar for dollar than a TB Lightning fan(or other)during the last 15 years. Its untenable to argue that Canucks fans receive equal value for price paid when compared to most other NHL fans. Plain and simple the Canucks as an organization have repeatedly failed to live up to their end of the bargain considering the premium they charge for their product.

Its as if you bought a pair of Nike shoes for $220. There's an expectation that they'll be comfortable, last a decent amount of time and provide the proper support when you go jogging. If after one month they were worn right out and were ready for the trash, you'd be pissed.

Basically this..

People don't understand that most of the terrible teams like the Edmonton's or the Toronto's have won at least one cup before.. so their fans aren't as eager/demanding like ours, and will still watch/follow the team even if they haven't made the playoffs in awhile.

Just look what happened in Vancouver after one bad season.. it went from a consecutive sold out crowd to empty seats...

Imagine what would happen if we tanked.. profits would go down

Sorry, you lost me at "Toronto fans aren't as eager/demanding as ours." Oilers fans are pretty sick to death of losing, too. Yes, they fill the arena, but that is a statement of just how big a fan base the Leafs have as anything else. Leafs fans are screaming for blood right now. When Marner was drafted yesterday, I laughed because he is a small center and I figured heads would explode at not drafting Hanifin. The fact Kessel and Phaneuf might NOT get traded really gets their blood to the boiling point, too. It is really entertaining.

Canadian hockey fans are so passionate, no, teams north of the border cannot commit to a full on rebuild. They have to be so badly managed that they fall to the bottom of the standings and, even then, they are expected to be back in the playoffs as soon as possible. Everyone who is praising Calgary and Edmonton right now, what did Calgary get for Kipper or Iginla again? How long have Edmonton been at the bottom of the league? Is that really where you want to see the Canucks for the next five years?

There is another angle here, too. Benning was hired to make the playoffs. If this team fails and falls to the bottom of the NHL, he loses his job. If you were GM, you would intentionally get yourself fired to see some other GM make a high draft pick?

You missed the sarcasm in his post. He's saying this organization cares more about money and delivering a certain kind product (aka "winning atmosphere") than doing what is necessary to deliver a championship (which is what a SPORTS ORGANIZATION should aim for).

Not sure if they care more about money if they are a cap team every year. I don't think the fans should complain about their team being very profitable when years ago they were on the brink of folding. Sure, other more successful teams might spend a bit more in other ways than cap spending, and there are many ways to make a profit regardless, but from what we see the Canucks are at or are near the top in everything that we could want them to do towards winning a championship. It just hasn't happened yet. Whether or not it happens, the fans should be happy I think.

They keep mentioning it's a business or it's a part of the business. does anyone else think it was a very bad business decision to trade away Lack for such a low return?

Better then letting one of our goalies walk and get nothing for them. One had to go and we go and we got a pick that was almost a second, not so bad.

And during all of that time, the Canucks saw ENORMOUS profits. They shot up on the Forbes ranking from the bottom almost all the way to the top. They provided top notch entertainment, and we paid heavily for it. Ticket prices more than doubled in that span.

Like you said, it's a business. And when business is good, profits are good. What happens when business is bad? The opposite. Case and point, meet the new Lower Bowl III tickets for $99. And that is after we made the playoffs. Imagine if we miss the playoffs 4 or 5 years in a row, or 9 years in a row like Edmonton? Meet Lower Bowl VI class? For $40?

They keep mentioning it's a business or it's a part of the business. does anyone else think it was a very bad business decision to trade away Lack for such a low return?

We got what he's worth. Sather raved about how he was offered a first and two seconds for Talbot yet only got a pick six ahead of us for the same value. Lehner is worth more than either, easily.

If you charge less for your tickets, but pay your players less as they are not top end talent, the team owners can still make lots of money.

It becomes a problem when the team charges too high a price for not a good enough product. IMO the Canucks are getting close to this point. Most fans recognize that despite being a salary cap team, the product is not good enough to hope for a long play off run and at the same time fans are also uncertain that the team is getting better so that in the future they can have a long run. Hope is dimininshing.

Add in the obvious improvements of some of the competing Pacific teams and this has been a bad few days.

We got what he's worth. Sather raved about how he was offered a first and two seconds for Talbot yet only got a pick six ahead of us for the same value. Lehner is worth more than either, easily.

Eddie goes to Carolina, they then trade one of their goalies for James Wysnuiske(sp)?. Would you rather have JW or the third and seventh pick that the Canucks received?

Did the Acquilinis make you "an offer you can't refuse" to make this post????

Jokes aside! I agree with you and I hope this team soon bring a Stanley Cup to this city! If we are the right track we should be a contender by our 50th anniversary which would be a great year to win it for this franchise!

Sorry, you lost me at "Toronto fans aren't as eager/demanding as ours." Oilers fans are pretty sick to death of losing, too. Yes, they fill the arena, but that is a statement of just how big a fan base the Leafs have as anything else. Leafs fans are screaming for blood right now. When Marner was drafted yesterday, I laughed because he is a small center and I figured heads would explode at not drafting Hanifin. The fact Kessel and Phaneuf might NOT get traded really gets their blood to the boiling point, too. It is really entertaining.

Canadian hockey fans are so passionate, no, teams north of the border cannot commit to a full on rebuild. They have to be so badly managed that they fall to the bottom of the standings and, even then, they are expected to be back in the playoffs as soon as possible. Everyone who is praising Calgary and Edmonton right now, what did Calgary get for Kipper or Iginla again? How long have Edmonton been at the bottom of the league? Is that really where you want to see the Canucks for the next five years?

There is another angle here, too. Benning was hired to make the playoffs. If this team fails and falls to the bottom of the NHL, he loses his job. If you were GM, you would intentionally get yourself fired to see some other GM make a high draft pick?

Ask Torts...

I may be one of the few but I'm in it for the entertainment more than sport (thrill of chase vs destination). Also I appreciate the balance between competing for playoffs and building the future.

The funny thing is that no matter what, if there's a lockout, Linden gets traded back in the day, Schneider-Lu-Lack get traded, etc but the fans always pay money and come back. Fans are like "yay Canucks" in the playoffs but "boo Benning" now. "Boo greedy NHL players in the lockout... Never watching again" to "we love Eddie and pay him what he deserves"

If you don't like it but you pay for the season tickets and buy the jerseys, its you're own fault.

Archived