The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we will always be "stuck in the middle"

BMorrison 7

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The reason vancouver fans are loosing faith is because our gm won't trade away our aging core and will try to make the playoffs with an old core for the next few years. It's going to be like this "every year" to please season ticket holders who our managment thinks will still pay them more money for keeping the same team rather then change it.

They are wrong

People want to see a rebuild espessialy after today where they made no effort to make our team any better for This year or in 5 years.

I have lost faith in this management team they do not have a hockey team direction what they have is a business direction and ironicly making there business worse by going the business direction.

This isn't some dumb town like Nashville where making the playoffs every year with a bad team pleases some red necks who don't eat and sleep and research hockey like people in vancouver do. People here know when a team is to old and know when you have to crumple up the paper in your hand and go back to the drawing board. Look at Toronto they have tried to stubbornly do this for years and have gotten nowhere. They are now rebuilding. Who will be better in 5 years vancouver or toronto? You might think I'm crazy but I'm putting my money on toronto.

Sometimes you have to do whats best and for the greater good. This team is in desperate need of a rebuild and it makes me sick. Aquillini has lots of money and owns a lot more then the vancouver canucks. Whatever though you have to do things you don't wanna do in life because there are no easy roads. Rebuild this old team because it's not going anywhere anyway :/

We can't "rebuild" until the Sedins are gone, plain and simple..... It is almost impossible to make this team a "Arizona or Buffalo" while they are still on the roster because they are legitment 1/2 line player (1st in my mind but some people think otherwise). The only option we have is to try and slowly bring in young players and slowly pass out the veteran until the Sedins leave and then we can "rebuild"

Our prospect system is good enough that it may only take 1 top 5 pick for us to become a serious playoff contender again and this year is looking like one of those years where we become a San Jose, Colorado, Dallas ETC.

Man calm down. JB have until next deadline to move out the vets. We can't get rid all of them at the same time or we will have no one to ice with our barren cupboard. If he just traded every vet, he will have to overpay in FA just to fill out the roster. He also have to consider the return he is getting. Bieska wasn't move cause the return don't justify moving him at the draft. He isn't really back into a corner there as he is with Lack.

Don't forget that we were the top of the mountain only a mere 3 and 4 seasons ago (season wise).

We are middle of the pack because we're rebuilding the right way by not intentionally tanking like Edmonton, Buffalo, etc. If we can stay competitive and rebuild along the way, then why not? We are giving our prospects the absolute best environment to succeed without having them come in with a ton of pressure to produce. This is why Edmonton have been failing for years, and even now with McDavid and a new management / coach, nothing is for certain. We've all seen these kids play under numerous coaches and they were still terrible.

Remember that great season the Colorado had prior to this one? They sure fell right back down to earth pretty quickly, even with the addition of Iginla. I can see Calgary going down a similar path this year as they way overachieved last season.

Relax. This team has been lucky enough to be elite for years and most of you have just forgotten due to how they lost to the Bruins and followed it up with more unlucky losses.

The reality is this team has been extremely fortunate for decades now, providing us with all sorts of memories and great nights that can fill a lifetime. Time to just have another beer I think. And remember to relax.

We can't "rebuild" until the Sedins are gone, plain and simple..... It is almost impossible to make this team a "Arizona or Buffalo" while they are still on the roster because they are legitment 1/2 line player (1st in my mind but some people think otherwise). The only option we have is to try and slowly bring in young players and slowly pass out the veteran until the Sedins leave and then we can "rebuild"

Our prospect system is good enough that it may only take 1 top 5 pick for us to become a serious playoff contender again and this year is looking like one of those years where we become a San Jose, Colorado, Dallas ETC.

We can still trade

Hamhuis,Bieksa,Vrbata,Higgins, Hansen instead of getting nothing for them and letting them go to free agency like Matthais

And get top 10 picks by losing ( 6th like Virtanen )

The reason vancouver fans are loosing faith is because our gm won't trade away our aging core and will try to make the playoffs with an old core for the next few years. It's going to be like this "every year" to please season ticket holders who our managment thinks will still pay them more money for keeping the same team rather then change it.

They are wrong

People want to see a rebuild espessialy after today where they made no effort to make our team any better for This year or in 5 years.

I have lost faith in this management team they do not have a hockey team direction what they have is a business direction and ironicly making there business worse by going the business direction.

This isn't some dumb town like Nashville where making the playoffs every year with a bad team pleases some red necks who don't eat and sleep and research hockey like people in vancouver do. People here know when a team is to old and know when you have to crumple up the paper in your hand and go back to the drawing board. Look at Toronto they have tried to stubbornly do this for years and have gotten nowhere. They are now rebuilding. Who will be better in 5 years vancouver or toronto? You might think I'm crazy but I'm putting my money on toronto.

Sometimes you have to do whats best and for the greater good. This team is in desperate need of a rebuild and it makes me sick. Aquillini has lots of money and owns a lot more then the vancouver canucks. Whatever though you have to do things you don't wanna do in life because there are no easy roads. Rebuild this old team because it's not going anywhere anyway :/

I don't think I've ever seen anybody butcher the word "especially" to such an extent.

That was so bad even your spell check couldn't catch it.

They are wrong

A full third of the team was replaced last season. A full third! And three rookies took rosters spots. There will likely be three more youngsters on the roster next season.

I swear most Nucks fans have the attention span and patience of a two year old.

Edit: Btw, I voted rebuild because that is what is currently happening. They're just doing it without tanking.

With the exception of the previous season the team hasn't been in the middle for a long time. They have been a top tier team standings wise including the last one when the team ranked 2nd in the division and 8th in the league.

One thing that really bothers me is the comparison to the Leafs, and how they waited too long before starting a rebuild. This is NOT what is happening here for a few glaring differences:

- The leafs kept trading their draft picks, and of the picks they did make, were horrible. They believed they were in contention by adding a veteran or two, thereby they simply ran out of prospects to make these trades happen, and hence were stuck with an aging core.

-They did not have a focus on young player development, or building up picks. They are only just starting to do so. Imaging if during the Sundin years, they kept their draft picks and developed them, they would not be in this situation. Also, every year the fans want a big FA signing, and that is the absolute WORST way to build a team. Free agents should be just to supplement the core, not replace it.

-Besides the tortorella year, the Canucks have been a winning franchise, its just we have only had one deep run. That is the biggest argument against this core, but during the regular season we have been one of the top franchises in the league.

-In order to tear down the entire team, who will play for us? Kids take 4 years to develop, rarely is a player ready to step in right away and make a difference. Having these vets buys us time for them to develop.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody butcher the word "especially" to such an extent.

That's really cool!! You must have a great eye. ;)

Rebuild isn't another word for sucking for 5 years. We are already in the process of a rebuild. I admit I was not happy with the lack trade though. I don't think our team needs to acquire prospects or players though, I think what this team really needs to do is cut the fat and get rid of the dead weight on this team (higgins Macmillan edler etc.)

Archived