The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Terrorist Attack at Tunisian Vacation Resort

NucksPatsFan

Pretty much the only really safe spots in the Muslim world to travel in are: Dubai, Turkey, Bali and probably Egypt.... pretty much big cities with stable governments.

Wife went to Dubai, said it's pretty safe. Pretty much just don't be a dumb tourist and "when in Rome..."

She had more unwanted attention in Italy (racist hooligans) more than in the UAE.

To dubai point, two people went to jail for kissing in a resteraunt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267778/Couple-jailed-year-kissing-Dubai-beach--despite-male-defendant-claim-giving-friend-CPR-suffered-asthma-attack.html

Also, Dubai got those rich guys, hey if your food is ready at a restaurant but that rich guy says no my food comes first, then guess what it will be that way. Dubai is a country that is trying to become western but can't leave its old routes behind.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267778/Couple-jailed-year-kissing-Dubai-beach--despite-male-defendant-claim-giving-friend-CPR-suffered-asthma-attack.html

Also, Dubai got those rich guys, hey if your food is ready at a restaurant but that rich guy says no my food comes first, then guess what it will be that way. Dubai is a country that is trying to become western but can't leave its old routes behind.

Parts of Dubai are great. There are much better places in the world to travel than Dubai however.

Pretty much the only really safe spots in the Muslim world to travel in are: Dubai, Turkey, Bali and probably Egypt.... pretty much big cities with stable governments.

Wife went to Dubai, said it's pretty safe. Pretty much just don't be a dumb tourist and "when in Rome..."

She had more unwanted attention in Italy (racist hooligans) more than in the UAE.

Sharm al sheikh, Egypt. Wasn't there a similar attack there? might be wrong but i think something like this happened there several years ago. Bali, I clearly remember a terrorist bombing in a night club, Turkey is not a place you want to visit now with their support of isis and stated policy of not allowing a kurdish state to be established. Can't blame them because 1/3 of Turekey would be separated. Also the Sinai..... we all know what's going on in Egypt so yeah,,,

UAE has a caste system that works out pretty well for westerners. Its Royals> westerners> everyone else. A friend of mine from Vancouver works in Abu Dhabi, used to work in Dubai and he has lived there since 2007. No problems. He does consulting for a number of big Gov. investment corporations. Lots of money to be made there. Its safe and as long as your not stupid you wont have any problems. They have bars and clubs just like here and a lot of exceptions are made to let westerners feel welcome there.

That said I hate caste sytems on a very basic level. Im a white male so it usually benefits me but any country where people cant get a higher education or strive for better jobs because of their ethnicity is a F-ed up country in my opinion.

Unlike most of the rest of Indonesia, Bali isn't really a part of the Muslim world. An overwhelming majority of the people on the island follow a sect of Hinduism.

Pretty good news video, includes videos of the shooting (4:55'ish to 7:00 and some other clips afterwards), and detailed information on what happened.

Crazy hotel people were chasing the shooter without weapons to get him away from tourists, people were throwing bricks at him, etc.

One guy shielded his woman and was shot 3 times, surviving. Most victims were from the UK apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgobN54I_k

Lol what a ignorant thing to say.. Might as well not travel anywhere.

Obviously there are some areas in the Muslim world where travel is not recommended (active conflicts, ISIS, archaic laws), but a country like Tunsia should be regarded as safe even for MENA standards.

I know someone who just came back relatively unharmed (only pick pocketed) lol from Morocco

It's very subjective to a lot of people. I wanted to take the Trans-Siberian rail and my ex from Eastern Europe used to tell me you'll get robbed if not worse. But on the other hand she is always wanting to go to South America (like it is safer there).

But you don't have any concern about the British tourists who were killed there as part of a gang initiation?

Not really. I make my wife bring her taser and pepper spray when we visit the states.

Thanks to that SCOTUS law changing gay marriage, it's likely going to impact second amendment rulings too, further invalidating recognition restrictions of other state licenses, so might be able to carry there as well.

But that is, of course, if I want to ignore the fact that their humidity blows. Already been to Disney World so there's no other reason to go to Florida.

Not really. I make my wife bring her taser and pepper spray when we visit the states.

Thanks to that SCOTUS law changing gay marriage, it's likely going to impact second amendment rulings too, further invalidating recognition restrictions of other state licenses, so might be able to carry there as well.

But that is, of course, if I want to ignore the fact that their humidity blows. Already been to Disney World so there's no other reason to go to Florida.

HAHA! No way you two get through customs.

Archived