The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] M.Richards(LA) Contract Terminated

it's rumored that we're talking about trafficking level quantities.

He has not been charged with anything, so unlikely he had that amount on him.

There not going to let you just walk away at customs after seizing trafficking level quantities.

Wow!! NHL player who plays physical contact sport suffers from pain and takes prescription drugs to

deal with pain and team wants to void contract?? Who would want to sign with that team? And really

Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar and Doug Brown are you ok with this??? If you are then I don't want

to be on your team!!

nhl player with a substance abuse history and problem has unprescribed prescription opiates on person crossing the border.

good thing you'll never have to make a decision about whether or not you want to play with 'doug brown'

So did the Queens get away with this?

Good question

NHL numbers indicates a cap recapture penalty (5 yrs x 1.32 million) - for the cap circumvention that already took place (ala Luongo) as a result of the convenient structure of his contract - but it doesn't yet indicate a buyout cap penalty, which they are also looking to circumvent with this shady 'termination' after a couple years of dancing around the buyout of a declining player.

The NHL needs to nip this in the bud before every team in the league starts contriving terminations and not taking responsibility for the contracts they willingly take on. The KIngs took the advantage of the early years of Richards' terms and cashed in a couple Cups - now the NHL needs to avoid making a joke of themselves and apply the buyout cap penalty.

If the Kings and Richards want to battle over the monetary compensation that is another thing entirely imo - that should not effect that fact they should be on the hook for the entire 2/3 of remaining cap over twice the term.

Good question

NHL numbers indicates a cap recapture penalty (5 yrs x 1.32 million) - for the cap circumvention that already took place (ala Luongo) as a result of the convenient structure of his contract - but it doesn't yet indicate a buyout cap penalty, which they are also looking to circumvent with this shady 'termination' after a couple years of dancing around the buyout of a declining player.

The NHL needs to nip this in the bud before every team in the league starts contriving terminations and not taking responsibility for the contracts they willingly take on. The KIngs took the advantage of the early years of Richards' terms and cashed in a couple Cups - now the NHL needs to avoid making a joke of themselves and apply the buyout cap penalty.

If the Kings and Richards want to battle over the monetary compensation that is another thing entirely imo - that should not effect that fact they should be on the hook for the entire 2/3 of remaining cap over twice the term.

Extremely good post & point.

No reason the cap circumvention rules should be cast aside. If they are in fact real & in place for more than just punishing Lou.

Although technically, Richards is not retired. Would the circumvention penalty not come in to play when he hangs up his boots, and just alter the calculation? As to where & in what years a benefit was derived that would then need to be penalized...

Man sounds like LA had some cancer in the locker room!

That said, I would like to see a full investigation by NHL and NHLPA before LA is allowed to circumvent the cap.

No big surprise they fall apart down the stretch...

These contracts are a two-way street. If a player isn't able to hold up his end of the deal, I think the contract should be terminated...how much money does L.A. lose by signing good players, who in turn, later on, act like dirtbags, and dramatically affect the performance of the team? Not to mention they are selling a product on the ice to US(the fans).....I hope they take that seriously and get rid of the garbage as soon as possible. Obviously if it is a lame attempt to save some cap $$ by the team, it will be shown to be that during the appeal. I know plenty about addiction, and prescription pain meds, and it is absolutely not the sole responsibility of the team to babysit these guys....an addict has to decide on his own that he wants to change---no one can make them. If he has an addiction and hasn't been entered into a substance abuse program, that is his choice---it is obvious what the team would want him to do...tons of resources at his fingertips. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make the mofo drink can you?

These contracts are a two-way street. If a player isn't able to hold up his end of the deal, I think the contract should be terminated...how much money does L.A. lose by signing good players, who in turn, later on, act like dirtbags, and dramatically affect the performance of the team? Not to mention they are selling a product on the ice to US(the fans).....I hope they take that seriously and get rid of the garbage as soon as possible. Obviously if it is a lame attempt to save some cap $$ by the team, it will be shown to be that during the appeal. I know plenty about addiction, and prescription pain meds, and it is absolutely not the sole responsibility of the team to babysit these guys....an addict has to decide on his own that he wants to change---no one can make them. If he has an addiction and hasn't been entered into a substance abuse program, that is his choice---it is obvious what the team would want him to do...tons of resources at his fingertips. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make the mofo drink can you?

I see your point but in Richards case his play dropped off long ago. He has been waived and sent to the AHL, this is LA's golden ticket.

I agree with the earlier poster that suggested the 2/3 buyout penalty be enforced. Also drug addict or not the NHL PA will fight this tooth and nail, this case could set a precident.

I see your point but in Richards case his play dropped off long ago. He has been waived and sent to the AHL, this is LA's golden ticket.

I agree with the earlier poster that suggested the 2/3 buyout penalty be enforced. Also drug addict or not the NHL PA will fight this tooth and nail, this case could set a precident.

It will be interesting to learn more details about this as they come out. Its difficult to make any judgement or take a side when there are so few details. If in a contract a player was forbidden to skydive, and he ended up paralysed from skydiving---I'm thinking no one would complain about the contract being terminated... If a player had something in his contract about drug use and he rendered himself useless as a player due to severe drug use...the same should apply...

It certainly doesn't look good when the team in question needs cap relief though...

As a fan I would hope that if a precedent is set in this case, it would be that if a contract is violated by the player, he doesn't get paid....and the team doesn't have to suffer if the players actions were in direct contradiction to the contract he signed.....OR... if a team thinks they can terminate a contract on a weak technicality because they got themselves in cap trouble, the team will get put in their place and at charged the standard buyout, plus some other sort of penalty.

Hopefully Richards gets his crap together, and spends the rest of his career leading, winning faceoffs, killing penalties, and being a menace to play against, while being a valuable member of an NHL team like the old days...

• 1 month later...

Mike Richards charged with possession of a controlled substance.

http://www.tsn.ca/richards-charged-with-illegal-possession-of-a-controlled-substance-1.351639

Former Los Angles Kings forward Mike Richards has been charged with illegal possession of a controlled substance, the RCMP announced Thursday morning.

Richards was charged on Aug. 25, two sources told TSN. He has not yet entered a plea. Richards has a court hearing on Sept. 10.

Richards was arrested on June 17 in Emerson, MB at about 2pm, RCMP constable Paul Human told TSN.

Canadian border guards found some pills in a single bottle during a random search of Richards car and he was arrested by RCMP, a source told TSN. It was clearly a small quantity intended for his personal use, the source told TSN.

Archived