The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] KB3 was searching for a home in SJ, thought he'd be dealt & price is 2x2nds

Because SJ was offering a 3 yrs deal worth 4 mil. That is 4 years of family security in one of THE nicest areas in the USA to live in. This is why they can't convince Thornton and Marleau to waive either.

Benning is a fool for not accepting that pick. That pick will be between 31-35. Canucks and SJ are both going to be at the bottom of this conference.

Now....the report says there are about 10 other teams interested.....I'm curious if Bieksa gets anything higher than that 2nd rnd

They don't have a 2nd next year anymore and no way lol. They'll be picking in the 45-50ish range easy imo. Do you honestly think people would be happy trading Juice for a 2016 2nd considering the Lack trade that just happened prior? We would get a minimal return to a division rival lol, makes no sense on our part.

...and there were always 10+ teams interested. Juice waived for SJS because there was supposedly a deal in place for him to go there. Guess we'll see if San Jose can make up for it and get a deal done. If not, another suitor will be used then.

The snarl was on our end buddy. I think they were offering two years to Bieksa and he wanted 4.

Source?

I'd wait until the Feb trade deadline. We'll do better then.

As of right now the BEST thing to do is allow Bieksa to play it out in vancouver. Push his value as high as possible with limited ice time preferential matching to ensure he looks damned good. Then trade him at the deadline for more than a pathetic 2nd and look like lumps who couldn't get the job done doing it

Think this through, guys -- it's not about Bieksa it's about a roster spot. If Bieksa stays, who goes? Corrado and Clendening are eligible for waivers. You hope there might be better deal for Bieksa, so what are you going to do -- trade one of them instead? Consider the big picture here.

Some people are far too quick to be turning on Linden and Benning imo Those guys are bosses. They have my full support and loyalty. I don't agree with every step they take - but that's what makes us all individuals. The team is in very competent hands.

It's tremendously pathetic actually. They're basically Tony Gallagher acolytes from the self-hate school of whining -- Canuck management is always incompetent and worthy of constant criticism, even for things that aren't their fault. Like the perpetual tankers, they are anti-fans.

Scotty Bowman could be running this team and they'd be starting to run him out of town at the introduction presser.

Think this through, guys -- it's not about Bieksa it's about a roster spot. If Bieksa stays, who goes? Corrado and Clendening are eligible for waivers. You hope there might be better deal for Bieksa, so what are you going to do -- trade one of them instead? Consider the big picture here.

Precisely this. People are too emotionally attached and it's how you get screwed. 1) Juice here means there's no competition for a roster spot. 2) we'd be handcuffed cap wise. 3) if he plays it out here we lose a chance at replenishing an asset(s) for him. 4) his time is up and it's time for both sides to move on.

...look at how Chicago does it. Revolving door around Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook. Everyone else comes and goes and they make sure they get something out of everyone. Just look at the top end players they've dealt instead of losing them for nothing. That's how you manage intelligently. Remember, this is a business afterall. You shouldn't get caught up in emotion when the times comes to pull the trigger. It's best for both sides anyways if Bieksa will leave at the end of the year so best to get assets.

If the story is true and San Jose did try to reneg, then they should have offered some sort of sweetener, even if something like a fourth or fifth.

That this had been going on for a month and not just a few days surely does explain why TL and JB looked very dejected the whole time. They almost certainly already had their shortlist ready of who they planned to pick in that spot. With that pick we could have got Meloche (taken right after), Harkins, Andersson, Dunn, Kylington, just to name a few.

Btw, according to this it was the Colorado 2016 second that was moved, not San Jose's:

Colorado traded Buffalo's 2nd-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft (previously acquired, 31st overall) to San Jose for San Jose's 2nd-round pick in 2015 (39th overall), Colorado's 2nd-round pick in 2016 (previously acquired) and Colorado's 6th-round pick in 2017 (previously acquired).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772519

Feel badly for Kevin. Loves his team/city and wanted to finish his career here, but selflessly accepts a trade and then it doesn't happen. He will likely be traded on or before trade deadline, along with my other favourite player and it will be sad to see him go.

The team will get its picks/prospects, but the team will lose probably the most loyal player ever.

Hit the nail on the head.

This situation really upsets me.

Two things could happen

1) juice gets angry, trains as hard as ever and has a phenomenal year

2) juice gets angry as he should be and could care less about benning and his team and doesn't dedicate his summer to training as hard

I hope it's the former...

Hit the nail on the head.

This situation really upsets me.

Two things could happen

1) juice gets angry, trains as hard as ever and has a phenomenal year

2) juice gets angry as he should be and could care less about benning and his team and doesn't dedicate his summer to training as hard

I hope it's the former...

I dont think hes going to destroy his future by being out of shape... He wants to remain in the nhl and showing up out of shape next season would not be a character move. The one thing we know about Kevin is he is a character guy.

Precisely this. People are too emotionally attached and it's how you get screwed. 1) Juice here means there's no competition for a roster spot. 2) we'd be handcuffed cap wise. 3) if he plays it out here we lose a chance at replenishing an asset(s) for him. 4) his time is up and it's time for both sides to move on.

...look at how Chicago does it. Revolving door around Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook. Everyone else comes and goes and they make sure they get something out of everyone. Just look at the top end players they've dealt instead of losing them for nothing. That's how you manage intelligently. Remember, this is a business afterall. You shouldn't get caught up in emotion when the times comes to pull the trigger. It's best for both sides anyways if Bieksa will leave at the end of the year so best to get assets.

Right. For all those who were complaining about how old and tired the D is, especially in the playoffs, and how Bieksa was in serious decline and that we couldn't possibly go into next season with the same defence corps... and now it's "Oh, let's just keep him"? Are you really going to sit through another season of that, or are your memories simply that short?

And yeah, I admire the Chicago model. After they won the cup they still made changes. Sure some because of cap reasons, but they weren't afraid to move significant pieces. Anaheim seems to see this and are trying to refresh themselves as well. The Canucks (and most teams with success) just try to tweak the fringe parts, hoping it gets them over the hump. Look at all the picks Gillis gave away over several years trying to do just that. It doesn't take long to fall from contention -- look at Boston now, four years from the cup and they are basically going to have to start all over.

I dont think hes going to destroy his future by being out of shape... He wants to remain in the nhl and showing up out of shape next season would not be a character move. The one thing we know about Kevin is he is a character guy.

Agreed. He shouldn't have anything to hold against the Canucks as they had a mutual agreement and it sounds as though they treated him well, keeping him informed about everything that was going on. If anything it should motivate him to get his game back and solidify his value, whether he gets moved or not.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11173939&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"That's going in, he said. The market dictates it. Johnny Boychuk went for two second-round picks. Kevin is a little bit older, but that's what our asking price was and I don't think it's too much. I think it's fair and that's what we were trying to get"

Well JB bluntly tells what he was looking in return for Bieksa. Price is fair and although Juice is not the player Boychuk is, that's the value he has especially to a division rival.

I'm just concerned he doesn't pull off a MG. Demanding too much then being forced to take the deal at the end which isn't nearly as good and getting a less than satisfactory return. Think he'll ultimately settle for a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd/3rd and a prospect. Either way, like he didn't budge his price this early on especially to a division rival that wouldn't give up a 2nd in this years draft. Plenty of time to make a deal whether it be before the season or trade deadline...the demand will only go higher.

Hopefully it is settled soon so we can focus on the young guys that will be coming in. The fewer distractions the better.

Yeah - ideally things like this come to completion as mapped out - but the team is dealing with a division rival (one Bieksa bounced out of the playoffs a few years ago) - a rival that has an aging core, declining chances of contending for the playoffs, and a GM and Captain already swimming in conflict/controversy. Tbh, I thought considerably more of Wilson a few years ago. Who knows how he went about business here, but regardless, this is no big loss to Vancouver - it's a minor and temporary setback. We don't know who may have been selected this year, who could possibly be selected next year or w.h.y.

Personally - I don't know what Juice would want but if he is to move on, I'd prefer it not be to a club of divers, and declining drama queens.

Friedman saying it was the pick. Contract thing is just a smoke screen. San Jose said they'd trade their 2nd this year and after Juice agreed to waive they said they'll give a 2nd next year at the last second.

Makes sense JB and the Canucks never budged. We're giving one of our best leaders ever to a division rival. There's a luxury tax to do that and it's to pay the premium. We're giving a heart and soul player who will now and make a difference asap and hurt us with his loss and improve our rivals. It's sensible a 2015 2nd be given as a now acquisition for a now player in Bieksa.

You can't really place a premium on a player who you want to move to gain cap space... Your hands are tied because you have other players you need to fit in the lineup and you need to move Bieksa.

You can't really place a premium on a player who you want to move to gain cap space... Your hands are tied because you have other players you need to fit in the lineup and you need to move Bieksa.

It's a 2way road. Chicago is asking for a 1st and a prospect for Sharp and they're tied up more than any other team in the league. If you have a piece that needs to go but it creates interest (Sharp def does and 10+ teams in on Juice), you don't settle and trade just for the sake of it. Can easily watch teams bid and up the price themselves wanting that piece.

Archived