The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] KB3 was searching for a home in SJ, thought he'd be dealt & price is 2x2nds

In all honesty, I'm quite surprised if trading Juice can fetch such a return.

As others have noted, if this is how DW conducts biz, let's hope the Shark-spiral continues.

Really like Bieksa. Would love to see him become a Champion in an eastern( admittedly unlikely) market, like CBJ. KB3 for Rychel?

Once the deal for this year's draft pick fell through then there was no real deadline for panicking and trying to shoehorn a different deal right away.

They now have the luxury of a couple of months to look at deals and work with Kevin for a good fit. You know as soon as the couple of top UFA D get snapped up for stupid money there will be suitors left empty handed that need a plan B. Now we get a good chance of getting a decent young player or prospect in return instead of a pick.

There have been lots of rumours that Wilson is a tool, I am not sure that is the way to go long term as you start burning bridges. It is seriously douchey to let a deal for so far as to offer an extension and having a guy looking at houses before you pull the plug on it.

Once the deal for this year's draft pick fell through then there was no real deadline for panicking and trying to shoehorn a different deal right away.

They now have the luxury of a couple of months to look at deals and work with Kevin for a good fit. You know as soon as the couple of top UFA D get snapped up for stupid money there will be suitors left empty handed that need a plan B. Now we get a good chance of getting a decent young player or prospect in return instead of a pick.

There have been lots of rumours that Wilson is a tool, I am not sure that is the way to go long term as you start burning bridges. It is seriously douchey to let a deal for so far as to offer an extension and having a guy looking at houses before you pull the plug on it.

This is a guy who told the fans that big changes were coming to Sanjose after they choked their 3-0 lead away and lost the series to LA. You know what big changes came? They put Brett Burns back on defense. This was Doug Wilson's big plan to turn around Sanjose lol.

Its annoying to hear the deal falling through especially with the names available at San Joses 2nd pick this year. Canucks could have really picked up a highly talented defender.

Oh well, I think Kevin will either be traded now or return a first round pick at the deadline next season from a playoff team.

I just hope management/ownership don't get all caught up in making the playoffs next season if the Canucks are close.

It's crucial they take advantage of the trade deadline and get assets for Hamhuis, Vrbata, and Bieksa. We've already seen this team is not built for the playoffs.

After the trade deadline they can give bigger roles to the younger guys and see what they can do. If we still make the playoffs, great. If not, at least we still have a few more picks to show for it.

They don't have a 2nd next year anymore and no way lol. They'll be picking in the 45-50ish range easy imo. Do you honestly think people would be happy trading Juice for a 2016 2nd considering the Lack trade that just happened prior? We would get a minimal return to a division rival lol, makes no sense on our part.

...and there were always 10+ teams interested. Juice waived for SJS because there was supposedly a deal in place for him to go there. Guess we'll see if San Jose can make up for it and get a deal done. If not, another suitor will be used then.

I'm telling you...SJ is going to bomb next year. Like the Canucks, everyone around them in their division and conference has gotten better. SJ did squat besides select a player who is still 2-3yrs from making the team.

They just hired a coach that has guided 2 teams to high draft picks.

They no longer have a bona-fide starting netminder. That same team missed the playoffs big time. ...and now this same team is going to sink further.

So yes, that 2nd would've been 31-35.

I just hope management/ownership don't get all caught up in making the playoffs next season if the Canucks are close.

It's crucial they take advantage of the trade deadline and get assets for Hamhuis, Vrbata, and Bieksa. We've already seen this team is not built for the playoffs.

After the trade deadline they can give bigger roles to the younger guys and see what they can do. If we still make the playoffs, great. If not, at least we still have a few more picks to show for it.

I am hoping they are not in a solid playoff position come next year and then they do decide to trade Bieksa, Higgins, Vrbata and Hamhuis but I have a feeling this will not be the case even if they were are on the fringe which I expect they will be I am willing that 1 or none of these players are actually traded.

Bieksa might fetch a first at the deadline. Vrbata would for sure. Higgins would likely get a 2nd round pick Hamhuis should would get a first for sure too.

Imagine 3 first round picks plus our own for 4 first round picks in the draft next year all by just not decided to try and win a playoff series. I just can't see management passing this up..

This team has botched so many NTC trades it's not even funny. So much for Linden and Benning changing the reputation of our team as a trading partner. Now our most loyal player in Bieksa just got jerked around and embarassed on draft day, while you had idiots on the TSN radio speculating what was going to happen to his mental health initiative if he left. Pathetic.

Whoa whoa.

First, people wanted old vets to be gone for basically anything because it's so "easy" to trade them for picks.

But now since these vets has NTC, they're blamimg GMJB and TL because they couldn't get it done?

Must be pretty frustrating for Benning to get close on 2 deals (Lucic being the other) and neither come to fruition.

As much as I like Bieksa, I hope he's traded before free agency. The media will turn it into another gongshow if it drags out, and I wouldn't want him to go through that.

It has gone a little to far now, I'm sure Bieksa would like it to be over and get traded. Heres hoping we do it soon. Having corrado and clendenning is going to be a big plus next season. We need some youth on team and they have the chance to really grow into our top 6

Looks to me like Wilson just schooled the new GM Jim Benning! He's been known for these types of shenanigans in the past.

"screwed with" is the term you were looking for. I have more confidence and respect for Benning than Wilson and when you here about players having issues with Wilson, well this is an example of an individual in a great position but not of character or integrity.

It has gone a little to far now, I'm sure Bieksa would like it to be over and get traded. Heres hoping we do it soon. Having corrado and clendenning is going to be a big plus next season. We need some youth on team and they have the chance to really grow into our top 6

Neither frankie or clendening can intimidate like juice can. We'll just be a softer team and easier to roll over if juice goes

Whoa whoa.

First, people wanted old vets to be gone for basically anything because it's so "easy" to trade them for picks.

But now since these vets has NTC, they're blamimg GMJB and TL because they couldn't get it done?

I have never once thought trading KB3 would be easy. He's an older guy whose value took a hit during the Ferland events of our last playoff series. To be honest, I wasn't even holding my breath many teams would be that interested in trading anything of significant value for him at this stage of his career and contract.

What I do know is that Juice is one of maybe 4 players on this team who has been here from the beginning (Burrows and Sedins being the others). He has demonstrated heart and soul, and incredible loyalty to a team that has had a number of ups and downs the last 10 years.

I also know that this team (pre JB and TL) have lost a number of key battles when it comes to moving quality assets in the trade market. These battles include both the ultimate return for the players as well as the league wide embarrassment caused by the media and our fan base.

I don't know what it's actually like to be an NHL GM, and I don't think any one of us here do. But if I had to take a stab at how trading a guy like Bieksa with a full NTC would be, I'd imagine it involves an initial discussion with the player about the prospect of being moved. This would be followed by preliminary talks with other teams to gauge both the number of teams interested and also what the return would be. After this stage, we would go back to Bieksa and tell them there's legitimate interest from some teams, and to see where he would be willing to waive to. And if this is the case, you don't want to approach a guy like Bieksa, a guy who was willing to go down with the ship after experiencing both the rise and fall of a great team, without being seriously committed to pulling the trigger on a quick deal. Especially after what's happened with Luongo and Kesler.

Once we got his approval to proceed with serious talks with San Jose, there was little going back. I don't know what exactly happened with Wilson, so it's hard to pass too much judgement on the situation. All I know for sure is this incident does not look good for our team and for Bieksa's trade value.

As Friedman, the most respectable member of the hockey media said-- Kevin Bieksa deserved better.

Whoa whoa.

it's CDC, damned if you do...damned if you don't....lol

Neither frankie or clendening can intimidate like juice can. We'll just be a softer team and easier to roll over if juice goes

Bieksa remains a quite servicable defenseman, but as far as intimidating he pretty much showed during the Playoffs he has lost some bite and while he can still chirp with the best of them he ate his words how many times in regards to Ferland for example.

Yes the players coming up are not as physical overall as Bieksa, but overall will have better skating and agility with improved passing.

Archived