The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] KB3 was searching for a home in SJ, thought he'd be dealt & price is 2x2nds

Bieksa remains a quite servicable defenseman, but as far as intimidating he pretty much showed during the Playoffs he has lost some bite and while he can still chirp with the best of them he ate his words how many times in regards to Ferland for example.

Yes the players coming up are not as physical overall as Bieksa, but overall will have better skating and agility with improved passing.

In his defense, he was coming off a broken hand and it was likely a bit early to test that out.

But his instinct is to react...so I'd expect him to return to that.

i dont understand benning said he thought next years draft is deeper, so why didn't he take the 2nd round pick next year? other than thee fact he didn't have a 2nd this year

Because he probably specifically wanted the 39th. I'm thinking there was a player there they were targeting.

A 2nd next year could be anywhere from 31-60 so it holds less value than one this year.

Feel badly for Kevin. Loves his team/city and wanted to finish his career here, but selflessly accepts a trade and then it doesn't happen. He will likely be traded on or before trade deadline, along with my other favourite player and it will be sad to see him go.

The team will get its picks/prospects, but the team will lose probably the most loyal player ever.

Thank you for bringing up the human element. Bieksa would have gladly retired a Canuck and frankly should have been given that option. This embarrassing situation, mostly brought on by Wilson, is not something Kevin deserves.

Without Bieksa on the blueline, teams will truly manhandle the Canucks in our own end. There will be zero defensemen with any cojones. Edler? Nope. Hamhuis? Nope. Weber? Hahaha! Sbisa? Nowhere near Juice's level and toughness.

Tanev, Corrado, or Clendening? Nope. That leaves Pedan who is no guarantee to play in the NHL.

The defensive woes for this team continue. And now Miller gets to see his buddy Lucic in the same frequency he did when he played in Buffalo.

Awesome!

Thank you for bringing up the human element. Bieksa would have gladly retired a Canuck and frankly should have been given that option. This embarrassing situation, mostly brought on by Wilson, is not something Kevin deserves.

Without Bieksa on the blueline, teams will truly manhandle the Canucks in our own end. There will be zero defensemen with any cojones. Edler? Nope. Hamhuis? Nope. Weber? Hahaha! Sbisa? Nowhere near Juice's level and toughness.

Tanev, Corrado, or Clendening? Nope. That leaves Pedan who is no guarantee to play in the NHL.

The defensive woes for this team continue. And now Miller gets to see his buddy Lucic in the same frequency he did when he played in Buffalo.

Awesome!

people are so blind

Bieksa's toughness has been very little to non existent Edler is perfectly capable and has proven to be a tough d-man

ya it sucks that the deal didn't go through but Bieksa shouldn't be surprised at the end of the day it's a business he knows the life he knows players get traded he knows sometimes they just can't get traded

also Lucic isn't the same player anymore and has been on the decline for quite some time

So Bieksa was even looking at houses in San Jose? It sounds like this deal was pretty much set well in advance and depended on how the chips fell on draft day. Wilson wanted to draft Roy with his 39th and when he was able to (by moving up to 31 with it) he backed out on the Bieksa deal.

Sucks for Benning. Sucks for Bieksa. Players like living in San Jose but I think that Wilson has soured his relationship with Benning a tad and the odds of a deal being made now are pretty long.

If I'm Bieksa, I'm pissed.

Benning: "Look Juice, sorry things didn't work out with San Jose, not my fault you know. So...can you give me another team you'll waive for?"

Bieksa: "I already decided to play Mr. Nice Guy and gave you your out, Jim. I did my part, I swallowed my pride. I helped you, what are you doing for me? You're making me look like fool here. No, no. It's San Jose or nothing.....I don't care if you have to settle for bag of fries. I'm already one favour up on you, Jim. Time for you to deliver. Otherwise, I'll see you at camp".

If I'm Bieksa, I'm pissed.

Benning: "Look Juice, sorry things didn't work out with San Jose, not my fault you know. So...can you give me another team you'll waive for?"

Bieksa: "I already decided to play Mr. Nice Guy and gave you your out, Jim. I did my part, I swallowed my pride. I helped you, what are you doing for me? You're making me look like fool here. No, no. It's San Jose or nothing.....I don't care if you have to settle for bag of fries. I'm already one favour up on you, Jim. Time for you to deliver. Otherwise, I'll see you at camp".

Good thing you aren't Bieska.........

I like how you think players don't know it's a business and have zero understanding of how the BUSINESS works

people are so blind

Bieksa's toughness has been very little to non existent Edler is perfectly capable and has proven to be a tough d-man

ya it sucks that the deal didn't go through but Bieksa shouldn't be surprised at the end of the day it's a business he knows the life he knows players get traded he knows sometimes they just can't get traded

also Lucic isn't the same player anymore and has been on the decline for quite some time

Lucic is going to be a bear this year proving himself to his new mates. He's also in a contract year, he won't be sleepwalking through this season.

That's real sentimental and all, but for one this is a business and two it's about winning hockey games. It's not a social club and the inmates don't run the asylum.

Good thing you aren't Bieska.........

I like how you think players don't know it's a business and have zero understanding of how the BUSINESS works

Haha!

Bieksa holds the cards here with his NTC.....why do you think he required an agreed-to extension beforehand? He knows what he's doing and is using the tools he has available.

You're not too bright, are you?

That's real sentimental and all, but for one this is a business and two it's about winning hockey games. It's not a social club and the inmates don't run the asylum.

These asking-to-waive-NTC situations are a different kettle of fish. Yes, as a GM you want to get a reasonable return, but you now also have to placate the player you asked to waive, because he's bending over to help you. I felt bad for Luongo, and I now feel bad for Bieksa. As Friedman says, Bieksa deseved better.

Haha!

Bieksa holds the cards here with his NTC.....why do you think he required an agreed-to extension beforehand? He knows what he's doing and is using the tools he has available.

You're not too bright, are you?

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You honestly think Bieska, who was draft and has been in the organization for 15 years will decide to stay just because he wants too? You do know that players have pride and if they aren't wanted somewhere they will go somewhere where they are wanted.

The fact that you think he will be an ass and not waive his NTC for any team beside the Sharks is quiet funny. He has great loyality to the organization as do all players who have spent their whole career in one city, not to mention he was a late round pick who was developed in the Canucks organization.

Go on tell me more about how he would want to play for a team that doesn't want him....... and how he will become a Kesler 2.0

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You honestly think Bieska, who was draft and has been in the organization for 15 years will decide to stay just because he wants too? You do know that players have pride and if they aren't wanted somewhere they will go somewhere where they are wanted.

The fact that you think he will be an ass and not waive his NTC for any team beside the Sharks is quiet funny. He has great loyality to the organization as do all players who have spent their whole career in one city, not to mention he was a late round pick who was developed in the Canucks organization.

Go on tell me more about how he would want to play for a team that doesn't want him....... and how he will become a Kesler 2.0

So in one post you are telling me it's about business and in the next you are telling me it's about pride and loyalty.

Which is it?

So in one post you are telling me it's about business and in the next you are telling me it's about pride and loyalty.

Which is it?

Both. Its a business and i'm sure Bieska and all the Canucks understand that so there won't be any prolonged hard feelings after he is traded. The loyalty and pride part is the fact that he is not going to stay on a team that doesn't want him, you can also say that his loyalty will help him understand where the Canucks are right now and that he doesn't fit into there future plans.

Both. Its a business and i'm sure Bieska and all the Canucks understand that so there won't be any prolonged hard feelings after he is traded. The loyalty and pride part is the fact that he is not going to stay on a team that doesn't want him, you can also say that his loyalty will help him understand where the Canucks are right now and that he doesn't fit into there future plans.

This. Jack, you make it sound like Juice is a dickhead that wants to screw over the team. He's not that type of guy. If there's a fit for him somewhere and he likes it enough, he'll waive and do himself and the team a favour imho.

I don't think it's as much a matter of "he wasn't wanted" than it is "other pieces are needed" and there are restrictions in that relating to $$.

It's not an emotional thing unless it's made into one and I'm sure he gets that. It's actually a strike in his favour that the team wasn't willing to let him go if the deal wasn't the right one. It will help him keep his dignity intact in knowing that aspect of things...that they didn't "settle" and would rather keep him than let him go if it wasn't the right price or terms. If they were desperate for him to be gone, he would be....so he can hold his head high knowing he's here because they didn't meet the requirements in acquiring him. Glass half full, not empty.

There's a reason so many teams are showing interest...he's a leader, a spokesman, a veteran who can help young kids transition into a lineup, a tough guy who is the ultimate team player/loyal and I'm convinced there's still gas in the tank. He's always been willing to learn and isn't "set" in his ways...he will adjust if/when necessary. There's a lot of quality stuff there to be had.

Archived