The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dougie Hamilton was offered 6 years, 33M before he was traded to Flames

Jaku

@Forsberg

Hudler is a ufa at seasons end, in fact so is Jones and Hiller, between those 3 that's like 13 million dollars in cap space. In my opinion I think they will trade Wideman at some point this season or prior to the start of the season.

Again though I think Calgary has one of the best top 4's.

Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Russell.

Meanwhile Gio was a runaway favorite for the norris trophy before his injury.

And.... Subban, Karlsson, and Kieth already won it. Doughty and Weber have also been nominated as a Norris finalist.

Giordano

Doughty is 25 and is regarded as one of the best D's in the league. I would pick Doughty over Giordano any day of the week.

And.... Subban, Karlsson, and Kieth already won it. Doughty and Weber have also been nominated as a Norris finalist.

Doughty is 25 and is regarded as one of the best D's in the league. I would pick Doughty over Giordano any day of the week.

I didn't discredit those defenseman but by your logic Miller is one of the best goalies in the league?

He did win a vezina...

9 million is a lot for anybody, whether they had a Norris worthy season or not.

Not sure Gio could replicate his level of play on another team, and now the acquisition of Hamilton lets the Flames play chicken with him.

Flames are in a great position with Gio.

If he has a mediocre season, they can sign him to a lesser amount. If he repeats and has another standout season, they could either ride him deep into playoffs or flip him as a rental at the deadline. Teams would pay big time for a top pairing defenseman for a playoff run.

9 million is a lot for anybody, whether they had a Norris worthy season or not.

Not sure Gio could replicate his level of play on another team, and now the acquisition of Hamilton lets the Flames play chicken with him.

Flames are in a great position with Gio.

If he has a mediocre season, they can sign him to a lesser amount. If he repeats and has another standout season, they could either ride him deep into playoffs or flip him as a rental at the deadline. Teams would pay big time for a top pairing defenseman for a playoff run.

I think they would settle around 7-7.5 million per season. But you do make very good points.

I didn't discredit those defenseman but by your logic Miller is one of the best goalies in the league?

He did win a vezina...

Someone said Giordano is a top 5 D in the league. So i named 5 other D's who are better.

Then you said Giordano was a runaway favourite for the Norris. So according to your logic, i named those 5 D's who either won the trophy or was a finalist.

Someone said Giordano is a top 5 D in the league. So i named 5 other D's who are better.

Then you said Giordano was a runaway favourite for the Norris. So according to your logic, i named those 5 D's who either won the trophy or was a finalist.

I understand your original argument, I don't necessarily agree but I didn't discredit those other defenseman but using past accomplishments isn't the best argument in my opinion.

I would say for sure he is a top 10 defenseman in the league and I think one could make an argument that he is a top 5 defenseman in the Nhl at the moment.

It's not like he's been Bobby Orr hiding under a rock all these years. He definitely could be a one hit wonder, and I think his contract demands are insane. Though I hope Calgary fails hard because it's my job.

He definitely cant, by definition, be a one hit wonder. Because hes already strung multiple high level seasons together. Now that his team isnt garbage there is no reason to suggest he'll regress, and like I said, even if he did, he's already surpassed the one hit wonder possibility.

His contract demands are fine, because this is regular every day negotiation tactics in which the player starts high. I'd be very, very surprised if the stuck on that number.

You’re forgetting that Johnny Hockey, Monahan and Bennett all get raises in two years. Fan 960 (Flames radio) even thinks Calgary will be in trouble and should be moving Hudler/Wideman this summer to prevent any risk.

And best top 4 in the league. I don’t know about that.

NSH

Weber Jones Josi, Ellis

NYR

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Yandle

CHI

Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Oduya

STl

Bowmester, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo. Gunnarsson

WPG

Enstrom, Myers, Byfuglien, Trouba

Caps

Niskanen, Orpik, Calrson Alzner/Bowey

After these playoffs I'd take Keith and Seabrook eating 30 mins a game over any other D corp in the league.

I'm wondering what equivalent trade that the Canucks could have given up to get Dougie Hamilton:

Zack Kassian?

Frank Corrado?

Nick Jensen?

23rd overall?

for

Dougie Hamilton?

If that were the trade, I would had pulled the trigger instantly and Boston would get an immediate replacement for Lucic with Kassian. Of course the Canucks would also have to free up more cap space to re-sign Hamilton!

I am actually in the boat of trading Giordano. He had a good breakout season so sell high. Could probably get more for Gio than they payed for Dougie if they find the right chump.

Giordano is a hell of a dman. Sure points wise he had a breakout season, but he is an overall solid two-way defender. I grew up in Calgary watching him in his first seasons with the Flames and he was always one of the best players on the ice. This guy has been a long time coming for a breakout season. No way the Flames trade him, he's more than a "one hit wonder".

Giordano is a hell of a dman. Sure points wise he had a breakout season, but he is an overall solid two-way defender. I grew up in Calgary watching him in his first seasons with the Flames and he was always one of the best players on the ice. This guy has been a long time coming for a breakout season. No way the Flames trade him, he's more than a "one hit wonder".

Flames don't really need Giordano that badly. Sure, they are better with him in the lineup, but a 9 million dollar price tag is steep even for the best defensemen in the NHL, of which Giordano is not.

He had a great 3/4 of a season, but I would put Giordano in the '2nd tier' of player, right below the elite defenders. He's not a Shea Weber or Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith. He measures up more on the level of McDonagh or Oliver Ekman-Larsson, which is still very good, but not worth 9 million dollars.

I am glad we stayed away from that trade.

If he is everything he appears to be, no way Boston trades him.

There are rumours that he is dislike by his team-mates and problematic. Benning probably knows way more about this player than the media do, so you pretty much have to trust his sense of this.

On the other hand, if I had to be on a team with those Boston jackasses, I would probably be on the outs with them as well.

Archived