The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single most important Canuck in 2015/2016

By sea and land

Personally I believe the Canucks will remain competitive under the guidance of Coach Willy but will ultimately fall short of missing the playoffs. With the obvious growth of Edm and Cal and the improvement all across the Western Conference I believe the Canucks are falling behind but that's expected in some moderation after being so strong over the past decade minus a few hiccups. For these reasons I believe Radim Vrbata is the single most important player for the Canucks this season. Personally I'm expecting a top 12 pick for the Canucks in 2016 from missing the playoffs along with what Radim Vrbata could get us at trade deadline if he again is on a 30-35 goal scoring pace. A 1st rounder should be automatic but it would be outside of the top 12. Acquiring multiple picks can always lead to a trade up during the draft or you can always trade 2 first rounders plus something for a significant young player in return. Radim will be an upcoming UFA so dealing him would make plenty of sense.

I agree Horvat is, we need him to have an improved season offensively and grasp a large role on this team.

Secondly would be our goaltending tandem Millerémarkstrom, We just gave away Lack so we need both goalies to be able to come in and when called upon play solid enough most nights to give us a chance to win

Jake Virtanen. At some point we need to see if our top 10 pick is going to be a superstar. If he doesnt get some games in this year, I will be frustrated. Horvat gave me hope last year, but Virtanen has superstar potential and needs to show some flashes. If he doesnt, this rebuild will take another 5 years.

Personally I believe the Canucks will remain competitive under the guidance of Coach Willy but will ultimately fall short of missing the playoffs.

Does this mean the Canucks make the playoffs?

Anyway. aside from the usuals, that being Hank and Dan remaining competitive I think the rookies that should be on the team need to show that they belong in the NHL and will be more than journeymen players.

That is, Corrado, Clendening, Sven B, etc.

Sorry OP but Vrbata is trade bait as he was a no show in the playoffs.

It's the young guys that are our key to the future.

I can't see the point of losing out on high draft picks just to bow out in the first round of the playoffs anymore.

Last seasons end was very disappointing.

Horvat. His rise to fame or stagnant sophomore year will be the deciding factor in our playoff hopes this year. And I mean that seriously. The second line center role is his to lose.

I hope he gets it. Might have to steal it from Bonino at camp or after the season starts. I think we can all agree he's probably ready .

Sorry OP but Vrbata is trade bait as he was a no show in the playoffs.

It's the young guys that are our key to the future.

I can't see the point of losing out on high draft picks just to bow out in the first round of the playoffs anymore.

Last seasons end was very disappointing.

Yes this is exactly my point. I believe we'll miss the playoffs and because of this we'll trade Vrbata. The better his season the better our return in a trade deadline trade. I understand that our kids such as Horvat and Virtanen have a good year but IMO we're about 3-4 years away from being a threatening team with loads of young talent. This current regime with it's aging core missed it's chance in 2011. I want Vrbata to excell this year so we can acquire another 1st rounder at the deadline. Pick up 2 more solid 1st rounders and add them to our prospect list and in 3-4 years this market could get pretty exvited again with our youth.

Not to put any pressure on the kid but Horvat.

He's going to pay an integral role this year, most likely more ice-time and playing against the top players in the league might after night. We're going to need him to shut down the strong players in the west.

McDavid thought Cassels was a pain? He won't even have a sniff at the net with Horvat against him all night.

I hope he gets it. Might have to steal it from Bonino at camp or after the season starts. I think we can all agree he's probably ready .

That is some competition...a guy who cannot win faceoffs, has no speed, cant score but he is on a cheap contract though! Seriously, many times last year Bo was our 2nd best center behind Hank. It is Wilie that keeps playing these useless vets in the top 6. Bo also should get some PP time, we need to win the faceoffs first, which nobody else on our roster is good at.

If we're going to make the playoffs then Ryan Miller will have to shine bright like a diamond.

Horvat. His rise to fame or stagnant sophomore year will be the deciding factor in our playoff hopes this year. And I mean that seriously. The second line center role is his to lose.

My vote is Miller. On most nights the most important guy on the ice is the goaltender. And we no longer have Eddie Lack as a backup/security blanket.

If Miller has a bounce-back year then the Canucks have an outside shot at the playoffs. If he continues on a fairly standard trajectory of age-related decline then the Canucks will probably be in 6th place in the Division and get a top 10 pick. Markstrom takes over as #1 the year after and what happens then is a big question mark.

Come on guys, let's be serious about Horvat and Virtanen.

Horvat had an excellent rookie season and should continue to improve. Last year he was nominally the "4th line" center. Next year he will be officially acknowledged as 3C, and will play a lot of shutdown and PK. But as for scoring, if he gets 35 pts (up from 25 pts last year) we should be delighted. He might the the team MVP in the future, but it won't happen next year.

And as for Virtanen. He is a good prospect but is a longshot to even make the team beyond a 9-game tryout and if he does it will be as a 4th line energy guy playing maybe 10 minutes a night. That will not be the key to next year.

I'm going to answer the thread title because your message is just too bunched up to read.

The single most important Canucks if 2015/16 season is hands down, Bo Horvat.

Bo is a good candidate.

It's a guarantee that the twins will be the best but improvement from the likes of Bo, Vey, Kass, sbisa... Even Kenny.

Archived