The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Unconditional - Hodgson, Stalberg

Visp

I honestly believe Coho could be a very good third line scoring winger. If he were to committ to being in better shape, working on his foot speed, and if he were put in the right situation. (The babcock situation). I think he could be a very valuable peice of a cup contending team. I'm not sure if he will be 2nd line center material but I could see him excelling into an elite 3rd line scorer role. Sucks his development kinda got messed up.

We do have room for a centerman that can play between 2 to 4 lines with richardson and matthias gone. Would help 2nd unit PP surely. Fits bargain bin. Fits age group benning wants. New management here familiar with a few players. I wouldnt call it a long shot for TL/JB to inquire atleast.

I bet he will garner interest from:

Toronto - hometown cheap need C

Arizona - free former first round prospect fits age group has experience

NYI - experiment with tavares after wjc chemistry

NJ- takes scraps and reclamations regularily

I remember Kassian saying they met up the summer after the trade to have lunch.

Really? lol. Well, bets they didn't end up in a food fight then cuz the media clowns would have been all over that one ;)

Anyway, the redress the balance of other commentary here -

Hodgson's situation is a result of multiple factors, some of which should be put squarely on him insofar as how he's adjusted (or rather, failed to adjust) along the way, and some of which are due to circumstances simply beyond his control.

The kid was scouted as much for his offense as for his two-way game, but went from being properly sheltered/seasoned under Canucks management (ala Horvat last year) to being dropped shipped into a 1C role on a bottom dweller that didn't have any depth support to carry the heavy minutes. So sure, he went on to lead his bottom dweller in offense and had 3 seasons of being a top 6 producer league-wide, but...

Somewhere between that mismanaged back injury and the wholesale failure of the Sabres to provide any of their kids (it's not just Hodgson who has floundered in reaching his potential under their watch ;)) with stable management and coaching, Hodgson's "physical play" was reduced to waving his stick at pucks and his two-way game was never developed, all that above average scouting potential never transitioned to the NHL.

Then he went into last season with yet another fresh set of expectations - tasked with transitioning from his natural center spot to the wing in order to remain relevant to a team that had just drafted a highly tooted center second overall and looked to be aiming for McDavid/Eichel. Except that with a coach who favored guys who looked like they were "working hard" (ie: a coach who never woulda let the Sedins in their youth off the bench either ;)) and a gutted roster that had no natural pivots - Hodgson was given the bum gig of trying to transition to wing with a centerman who was generally a career grinder (ie: Flynn), a career winger (ie: Foligno), an AHL call up (ie: Schaller) or a career grinder AHL call up (ala: Ellis).

In other words - he was taken out of where he'd proven offensively successful and could have some confidence and plugged into the role of a 3rd/4th line grinder winger on a bottom dweller who produced about what you'd expect for a grinder on a bottom dweller. And bonus points - a kid whose defensive game was already under heavy scrutiny, actually ended up ranked 29th league wide for forwards in d-zone starts. Really? Talk about total set up for failure. And ergo - buyout candidate. $4.25m for a quality 2C is a sweet deal. $4.25m for a grinder without a defensive game is hideous.

For Hodgson's part, he's still only 25 and so 2-3 years from his prime, he clearly has the top 6 proven offensive talent, and there are lots of "reasons" for his current situation that are beyond his control - but he didn't get here merely because the fates transpired against him. There's something... off.

His lack of physical game for starters, which will go in part to speed and take-away (he's got the strength on skates, ain't soft that way). Mentally though.... I wonder if that back injury left a residue physical confidence issue... The thing about some injuries is that the brain can kick in to instinctively shy the body away from "danger zone" long after the original injury has been healed and rehabbed. And some guys just never fully recover "mentally" from an injury.

Anyway, from here I figure that Hodgson's career is all on him. It's fair enough to understand how the kid got here and give some credit to the circumstances beyond his control, but he's going into his first UFA year now, won't be a "kid" any more. So whatever training program it is that he's doing this off-season, if it doesn't result in him hitting the ice in September looking like a young vet whose two-way and physical game never missed a beat along the way, then even I the loyalist, shall have to give up.

Cody had 80 points in 120 games with Buffalo if you remove this season. (where the wheels fell off for 13 pts in 78 games)
That's more than respectable.

There is a specific reason for that kind of drop-off, and he wasn't injured so..... wth happened? Tired of losing so much just killed his spirit?
It's possible.

yes his +/- was awful the last two years but if you look at the team, almost ALL of the players were double digits in the - category so you can't really pin that on him.

He's a 25 year old stocky center with skill. Nobody here can deny that.

If I were Benning I would at least approach the situation and have a listen... i'm sure those guys know what happened behind closed doors though with Cody so I say if they don't at least have a look at him - you know it was bad.

I cannot believe anyone who whines about the players we have wants CoHo back. He went to Buffalo and he was supposed to light it up with ice time. He didn't. He can't win face offs. He can't skate. Last season he played the wing to try and hide his deficiencies and it didn't help. He is not an NHL level skater, can't play physical and is not a top 6 player. Buffalo finished dead last in the league and they don't want him as part of their rebuild. He is young, so this isn't a moving out a veteran issue. He is dead weight for any team that signs him.

The very idea anyone would even consider putting him ahead of Bonino? Bonino may not be great at the face offs, but he has potential and Cody is headed down FAST. This kid knew he was a candidate for a buy out and didn't play better as the season went along. If this is a "His team sucked, so he didn't try hard" type thing, again, why the hell would the Canucks want him back? Kassian is a much better player than Cody at this stage of the game. It isn't close.

Yes, for two reasons.

1st. Gillis was only trading with one team. He should have let it be known around the league he was interested in moving Hodgson for the right price, he would have gotten more out of the deal.

2nd. He should have waited until the draft, so that inflated Cody's numbers for the season and post season. Once again we would have gotten more.

Having Kassian with a bad back isn't a lot to show for it.

I disagree on both points.

Gillis had a number of players he was interested in and he explored those options, not just Kassian. If a GM doesn't phone him to check interest then that's their fault not his.

As for trading at the draft, if you're showcasing a player by giving him a plum assignment then you want to trade that player before they do anything to damage the value you've gained. Cody likely would have struggled in the playoffs - can you imagine the outrage from fans if Gillis couldn't get much for him at the draft after that? You also can't afford to be a playoff team and have a player gifted easier minutes.

For people suggesting bringing Hodgson back, that bridge has been burned and it's not going to happen.

Yes, for two reasons.

1st. Gillis was only trading with one team. He should have let it be known around the league he was interested in moving Hodgson for the right price, he would have gotten more out of the deal.

2nd. He should have waited until the draft, so that inflated Cody's numbers for the season and post season. Once again we would have gotten more.

Having Kassian with a bad back isn't a lot to show for it.

But, but... WE WON THE TRADE!

I honestly believe Coho could be a very good third line scoring winger. If he were to committ to being in better shape, working on his foot speed, and if he were put in the right situation. (The babcock situation). I think he could be a very valuable peice of a cup contending team. I'm not sure if he will be 2nd line center material but I could see him excelling into an elite 3rd line scorer role. Sucks his development kinda got messed up.

I've read what amounts to the same hope many times in this thread and elsewhere.

People don't seem to get that character and motivation in hockey don't suddenly transform when you're 25. Face it, CoHo fanboys. Hodgson lived a charmed life throughout junior hockey, with scouts and media and his family blowing perfume up his a$$ on a daily basis, and Hodgson felt entitled to a long, lucrative career in the NHL just because ... he was CO-dy.

He's slow with no acceleration, small, won't commit to D, and would be a disaster in any playoff match-up. Pass. Once and for all.

You think? I'd say it was a tie. Two players who are both bad. Kassian is often a healthy scratch on our team. In reality it was a trade of AHL players. Neither has played there, but both probably should.

Disagree on all fronts.

Both are still 2-3 years from their prime and neither have exactly had the best of support fully transitioning into the NHL. Unstable management, coaching, changing expectations, game styles, line mates, roles... In Hodgson's case a frequently gutted roster, lol.

Also, while Hodgson has clearly proven he's an NHLer with his 3 of 4 seasons producing in the top 6 league wide (pacing for 41pts, 68pts and 44pts in those years) and 1 year of being in a grinder role for a bottom dweller so producing what should be expected for a grinder on a bottom dweller, Kassian too has shown his flashes for sustainable enough periods to indicate it's not just a show 'n tell before shipping off overseas.

Odd how both ended up with significant spine injuries, but in any case - put that into context as well. As any athlete who competes in a sport that requires physical grind, the mental residue of an injury can linger for far longer than the physical ailments...

I can totally see how Hodgson's prospect/rookie year mismanaged back injury demolished his pre-draft physical and two-way game and likely contributed to how he actually became slower on his feet. I can also get it how Kassian looked lost at times last year, chasing hits cuz he's told to "be physical", and yet if he's got that nagging back injury, also shying from that role, kinda stuck between playing styles and roles.

All in, I'm willing to give some leeway for rough career starts on the basis of factors outside of both their control, and am hoping to see break out years ahead for both too as they put their respective tools together.

In Hodgson's case, I firmly believe he is capable (if he gets his head together around his deficiencies) of evolving into a quality 2C, sorta of the Henrik style mold. For Kassian, I can see him evolving into a versatile middle 6 with a mix of Naslund/Bertuzzi, not quite just the goal scorer, but also not quite just the brute power, and whether it's 2nd or 3rd line will depend on the roster depth and chemistry combos.

I'll even (again) go wwwaaay out on a limb and suggest that of the two (Hodgson/Kassian), Kassian may in fact prove to be the diamond-in-the-rough leader, especially in a mentoring/older brother role. Let him find his groove on the ice to build his confidence, he'll end up looking, feeling and being less lost, and with that confidence he's just the character of a guy to be that "older brother" type for youngsters coming up.

Really, both these guys are still 2-3 years from their prime, I vote patience.

Disagree on all fronts.

Both are still 2-3 years from their prime and neither have exactly had the best of support fully transitioning into the NHL. Unstable management, coaching, changing expectations, game styles, line mates, roles... In Hodgson's case a frequently gutted roster, lol.

Also, while Hodgson has clearly proven he's an NHLer with his 3 of 4 seasons producing in the top 6 league wide (pacing for 41pts, 68pts and 44pts in those years) and 1 year of being in a grinder role for a bottom dweller so producing what should be expected for a grinder on a bottom dweller, Kassian too has shown his flashes for sustainable enough periods to indicate it's not just a show 'n tell before shipping off overseas.

Odd how both ended up with significant spine injuries, but in any case - put that into context as well. As any athlete who competes in a sport that requires physical grind, the mental residue of an injury can linger for far longer than the physical ailments...

I can totally see how Hodgson's prospect/rookie year mismanaged back injury demolished his pre-draft physical and two-way game and likely contributed to how he actually became slower on his feet. I can also get it how Kassian looked lost at times last year, chasing hits cuz he's told to "be physical", and yet if he's got that nagging back injury, also shying from that role, kinda stuck between playing styles and roles.

All in, I'm willing to give some leeway for rough career starts on the basis of factors outside of both their control, and am hoping to see break out years ahead for both too as they put their respective tools together.

In Hodgson's case, I firmly believe he is capable (if he gets his head together around his deficiencies) of evolving into a quality 2C, sorta of the Henrik style mold. For Kassian, I can see him evolving into a versatile middle 6 with a mix of Naslund/Bertuzzi, not quite just the goal scorer, but also not quite just the brute power, and whether it's 2nd or 3rd line will depend on the roster depth and chemistry combos.

I'll even (again) go wwwaaay out on a limb and suggest that of the two (Hodgson/Kassian), Kassian may in fact prove to be the diamond-in-the-rough leader, especially in a mentoring/older brother role. Let him find his groove on the ice to build his confidence, he'll end up looking, feeling and being less lost, and with that confidence he's just the character of a guy to be that "older brother" type for youngsters coming up.

Really, both these guys are still 2-3 years from their prime, I vote patience.

Being demoted from top 6 to the fourth line doesn't mean CoHo was a grinder. It means they moved him to the wing, hoping that would help ease the pressure on him and it failed. This isn't a matter of playing with bad linemates. He was put with good linemates and could not keep up. He is 25 and trending down. He isn't big or fast enough for the NHL. What team is going to pick CoHo up and give him a shot at #2 center?

Kassian has had injury problems, but he hits, shows flashes of being a capable power forward and he likely gets one more shot with the Canucks this coming season. There is no room for CoHo on the Canucks.

Archived