The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Unconditional - Hodgson, Stalberg

Visp

Being demoted from top 6 to the fourth line doesn't mean CoHo was a grinder. It means they moved him to the wing, hoping that would help ease the pressure on him and it failed. This isn't a matter of playing with bad linemates. He was put with good linemates and could not keep up. He is 25 and trending down. He isn't big or fast enough for the NHL. What team is going to pick CoHo up and give him a shot at #2 center?

Kassian has had injury problems, but he hits, shows flashes of being a capable power forward and he likely gets one more shot with the Canucks this coming season. There is no room for CoHo on the Canucks.

Um actually... when put with quality line mates, Hodgson did in fact produce (see: 3 years in top 6 league wide, pacing at 41pts, 68pts and 44pts respectively as the offensive leader of his bottom dweller club).

The rest is chicken and egg - and resource availability.

If you followed the Sabres in any depth you'd know that the wing transition was a decision made the season before - when Hodgson was ending his 2nd campaign in a row as the team's leading offensive producer. The wing transition was also primarily about remaining relevant going forward post Reinhart/Eichel drafting (see: Ennis - who also, incidentally, was shuffled to wing not merely because of poor defensive numbers on a poor defensive team, but because to remain relevant he had to earn a top 6 wing spot on the going forward roster).

On a repeatedly gutted roster there weren't exactly a lot of quality pieces floating around to make up two quality lines (much less 3 or 4, lol), so where Ennis has a playing style that fit with the interim blue collar coach and got the quality linemates, Hodgson got the left-overs (see: career grinder winger AHL call ups) until he was so deeply into the doghouse that be became a leftover himself.

All in, last year was demonstrably dismal for all Sabres, and some more so than others - like Hodgson who didn't prove he could be useful on wing going forward and had a $4.25m albatross around his neck for a trade to work.

I guess the trade is pretty much a wash at this point, with a slight edge to Vancouver. Crazy to see how the mighty have fallen, I remember when Hodgson (or maybe it was his dad?) was demanding top minutes on the club when we were running centers like Henrik and Kesler in their prime.

Yes, for two reasons.

1st. Gillis was only trading with one team. He should have let it be known around the league he was interested in moving Hodgson for the right price, he would have gotten more out of the deal.

2nd. He should have waited until the draft, so that inflated Cody's numbers for the season and post season. Once again we would have gotten more.

Having Kassian with a bad back isn't a lot to show for it.

Gillis trades an injury prone bust who's about to get bought out and all you can do is whine that he didn't get more before trading him? wow...

Man could anyone's scouting report about being such a character guy be so wrong as it has been with hodgson? He was supposed to be future captain material.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21692512.php?contentType=4&contentId=17510758

Many teammates have told me that Hodgson is also not very coachable. He has a way he thinks hockey should be played and hes not interested in any other way of doing it.

Um actually... when put with quality line mates, Hodgson did in fact produce (see: 3 years in top 6 league wide, pacing at 41pts, 68pts and 44pts respectively as the offensive leader of his bottom dweller club).

The rest is chicken and egg - and resource availability.

If you followed the Sabres in any depth you'd know that the wing transition was a decision made the season before - when Hodgson was ending his 2nd campaign in a row as the team's leading offensive producer. The wing transition was also primarily about remaining relevant going forward post Reinhart/Eichel drafting (see: Ennis - who also, incidentally, was shuffled to wing not merely because of poor defensive numbers on a poor defensive team, but because to remain relevant he had to earn a top 6 wing spot on the going forward roster).

On a repeatedly gutted roster there weren't exactly a lot of quality pieces floating around to make up two quality lines (much less 3 or 4, lol), so where Ennis has a playing style that fit with the interim blue collar coach and got the quality linemates, Hodgson got the left-overs (see: career grinder winger AHL call ups) until he was so deeply into the doghouse that be became a leftover himself.

All in, last year was demonstrably dismal for all Sabres, and some more so than others - like Hodgson who didn't prove he could be useful on wing going forward and had a $4.25m albatross around his neck for a trade to work.

I watched Sabres games and he was completely invisible. When he was traded to Buffalo, it was said he would be able to make other players better. He didn't. Other young players were better than he was. Buffalo sought better young centers to replace him, so he was moved to the wing. He fell behind Gionta on the depth chart and Gionta is clearly in decline. If he cannot cut it in Buffalo, where does he go? I guess upcoming expansion might be good for him, so maybe he hangs on until then.

He is slow, poor on face offs and doesn't play a physical game. He just isn't fit for the NHL. He had 2 points, both goals, in the last 20 games of the season. I am not sure why people are still arguing in his favor other than because he was drafted by Vancouver.

I don't think Cody goes to Toronto with Shanny at the helm

I could see the Leafs signing him to a two way contract (I know he still has to clear waivers, just a two way contract gives extra incentive to stick with the big club.) and sending him to the Marlies to see if he can get his career back on track. It might be the best thing for him. The Leafs have a lot of smallish forwards, so what harm is another one added to the mix?

Theyre buying out a player who played bad the year they tanked. Talk about scapegoating.

I don't think it's scapegoating. He's bad, uncoachable and can't play defense. Being on a bad team would help his stats a bit because he would get a ton of ice time and lots of pp time like he did last year. However, he really stunk it up this year so was demoted down the lines.

So, they didn't tank?

Because by definition, tanking is trying to lose. Buying out a player who is trying to lose is a logic fail.

I'm confused by your question. Yes, they tanked last year, but players don't tank. Hodgson didn't go out and play bad because he wanted to tank. He played bad because he is bad. They had to buy him up now because he's under 25 and they can buy him out for 1/3 now instead of 2/3 next year. They need his money for the ROR extension.

They're not really trying to actively tank for next year and are putting a pretty decent team together. Need some more defense though, but it's not blatant tanking like last year with the mcdavid lottery. Hodsgon doesn't fit anymore with ROR, Eichel, Reinhart and Girgensons down the middle already.

I'm confused by your question. Yes, they tanked last year, but players don't tank. Hodgson didn't go out and play bad because he wanted to tank. He played bad because he is bad. They had to buy him up now because he's under 25 and they can buy him out for 1/3 now instead of 2/3 next year. They need his money for the ROR extension.

They're not really trying to actively tank for next year and are putting a pretty decent team together. Need some more defense though, but it's not blatant tanking like last year with the mcdavid lottery. Hodsgon doesn't fit anymore with ROR, Eichel, Reinhart and Girgensons down the middle already.

So you're claiming tanks happen because gms put on mind control hats and will their teams to lose? Could I grab a hit of what you're Smoking?

Archived