The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your kidding right?

captaincowbasher

OP you mention that we all remember Bertuzzi lighting it up with the Sedins. My recollection is that every time they tried making something work it was a complete and utter failure. Is my memory fuzzy or yours?

While I think Lucic WOULD have had some success with the Sedins, I tend to agree with Gallagher (against my better judgement) that it's unbelievable that Dougie Hamilton was available and we were talking about Lucic.

Lucic has 1 year left on his deal. I could see him coming here next summer as a UFA. Only negative part is he will be a year older as well. Let him contend for a cup again and come here next year. We are not going to be a powerhouse this coming year anyways. LA will run into cap issues as they are now and I could see Lucic walking and potentially land here on July 1 next year.

Considering we didn't have a 13th overall pick in this draft, no, we couldn't. That's a huge part of the deal in this deep draft.

You make it sound like 5 teams are banging on the door with their cupboard wide open asking for us to ransack them.

Canucks wanted a 2nd in this draft. Teams didn't want to give it up. I can't blame them. I wouldn't give up a second in this draft for him.

JB said that 5 teams were seriously interested, I guess seriously means a bag of pucks and a 7th rounder

Didn't Benning say next years draft will be deeper? If so why not take a second in 2016?

Maybe it was lip service since we had no 2nd/3rd round picks at the time. Does make you wonder with all his touting of the 2016 draft why he was so reluctant to take a 2nd in 2016 for bieksa.

Bertuzzi barely ever played with the Sedins so I don't know why that was brought up.

That being said, unless LA overpays him by 2 - 3 MIllion, I really believe Vancouver will be at the top of his list of places to go to next Summer.

The best Part? We will have Boeser, Markstrom and our other prospects

Why give up assets for him now when we can sign him for free next year? If Lucic number 1 choice is Vancouver, than wouldn’t he want to wait to become a UFA to give himself the option of coming back home?

The media was saying that Lucic would waive for a few teams, Vancouver included.

What I want to know is why the Canucks weren't in the running for Dougie Hamilton. Calgary didn't give up very much for him when you consider how good that young man is.

LOL @ people who think Calgary will regress next season...just take a look at their blue line FFS. Best defense this side of Chicago.

The big question with the flames is.. Will a team send Hamilton an offer sheet of 7 mill? Why not, it would force the flames to match and hurt their cap situation. Calgary would be forced to match as the compensation they would receive would only be a 1st,2nd & 3rd. Less than what the flames gave up for him.

With reports that Gio is looking for a 9 mill per year extension flames would have 16 million tied up in 2 D. ( http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2015/06/26/report-mark-giordano-seeking-9-million-contract/ ). The flames would have 2 of the league top 10 most expensive defensemen. Add to the fact that Bennett, Johnny hockey and Monahan are all due up for raises in the next two years. Flames could find themselves in quite the cap troubles.

Should a rival like the Oilers send some love the flames way?

OP you mention that we all remember Bertuzzi lighting it up with the Sedins. My recollection is that every time they tried making something work it was a complete and utter failure. Is my memory fuzzy or yours?

While I think Lucic WOULD have had some success with the Sedins, I tend to agree with Gallagher (against my better judgement) that it's unbelievable that Dougie Hamilton was available and we were talking about Lucic.

This they may have tried Bertuzzi with the twins but it did NOT work.

Bertuzzi barely ever played with the Sedins so I don't know why that was brought up.

That being said, unless LA overpays him by 2 - 3 MIllion, I really believe Vancouver will be at the top of his list of places to go to next Summer.

The best Part? We will have Boeser, Markstrom and our other prospects

Bertuzzi spent a better part of a season with the twins and it was excellent.LA will love this guy and won't let him get away.

you said the draft was deep, 23rd and a way better defence prospect and a way better goalie prospect. if the draft was deep very good players are still available at 23

Each pick is exponentially more valuable than the next, especially in a deep draft. A 13th is likened to a top ten pick in another draft. Much different than a low 1st round pick.

Maybe it was lip service since we had no 2nd/3rd round picks at the time. Does make you wonder with all his touting of the 2016 draft why he was so reluctant to take a 2nd in 2016 for bieksa.

He wasn't reluctant to take a 2nd round for Bieksa. He was cool with getting a 2nd. The problem was SJ didn't want go give this year's 2nd.

"Will a team send Hamilton an offer sheet of 7 mill? Why not, it would force the flames to match and hurt their cap situation. Calgary would be forced to match as the compensation they would receive would only be a 1st,2nd & 3rd. Less than what the flames gave up for him. "

Most Gms believe it is wrong to send out offer sheets to rfas. guess they worry about somebody doing it to them.

Bertuzzi spent a better part of a season with the twins and it was excellent.LA will love this guy and won't let him get away.

The only seasons Bertuzzi was "excellent" was when he played on the WCE, he have have spot duty with the Sedins but didn't produce nearly as much.

Wrong,wrong wrong you are the Mayor of "Wrongville" Lucic's first pick is to play for his hometown, anyone who knows the Lucic's know this.

Easy sunshine.. Did you hear him say he wanted to come here or are you assuming? Just because he is from here doesn't mean he'd want to play. If there is no validity to your comment then why make one?

As much as everyone likes Lucic and wants him to play in Vancouver (myself included) Benning was smart not to match the Kings offer. First, whether or not anyone wants to admit it, Lucic hasn't been nearly the player he use to be the last 2 years. http://www.tsn.ca/what-should-bruins-do-with-milan-lucic-1.309682

Let LA take on the risk and see if he can turn things around.

Second, if anyone had listened to Lucic days before the trade and right after the trade, it is clearly evident that he would like to play in Vancouver. We could sign him as a free agent next year and perhaps get him at a lower cap hit than his current contract (depending on his play this season and his willingness to take a hometown discount). No need to pay the price LA asked for.

Archived