The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your kidding right?

captaincowbasher

Maybe it was lip service since we had no 2nd/3rd round picks at the time. Does make you wonder with all his touting of the 2016 draft why he was so reluctant to take a 2nd in 2016 for bieksa.

The problem was this year you know exactly what your getting at the 2nd pick, a 39th over all. He probably expects SJ to improve next year and drop that pick down to a potential 50ish over all. You could be looking at 10-15 in difference in drafting position, but likely not any better.

Just so we are clear.

You'd have given up a solid prospect in our system. Cassels/Virtanen/Subban/Gaunce/Demko/Shinkaruk

You'd have given up a mid level prospect in our system. Grenier/Fox/Clendenning

You'd have given up a 1st this year. Boeser future top 6 RW

And all of that. For a $6 million rental who would/could walk at years end.

And YOU are whining that Benning DIDN'T get him? Frag man you should be thrilled. That would have meant signing him to a minimum of a $5+ million contract afterwards, dealing with his boneheaded plays and stupid penalties without the benefit of being on the Bruins to shelter him from suspension

There is a reason some people are GMs, some people luck out and move from assistant GM to actual GM and that others play NHL 15 on their X box.

You sir, are the latter

It's amazing that somepeople are so quick to jump and think later. We could never match what some other teams have in their system. Unless we want to throw everything we got and shoot ourselves.

It's amazing that somepeople are so quick to jump and think later. We could never match what some other teams have in their system. Unless we want to throw everything we got and shoot ourselves.

I criticized Benning heavily and still am on the inside about how he handled the Lack and or Bieksa issues as well as not having the foresight or at least stones to trade anyone else on the roster that should be moved.

But this is one thing I REALLY disliked. How hard he publicly admitted he was going after Lucic. That is a guy we might pick up next season at decent price, but dear god no. At this stage of a rebuild (sorry "retool") we cannot be giving away picks and top prospects in our org for rentals.

We are not even close to competing. No more backwards steps

Before claiming that lack and corrado are a lot superior than jones and miller, you should watch these guys play before making such judgement. Martin Jones came out of nowhere and recorded back-to-back shutout for the kings. What Jones has and Lack doesn't is youth. The reason why Lack didn't fetch that great of a return is because of his age IMO. He's older than Lehner, Talbot and Jones. For team who are into rebuild. i.e. sabres and oilers. They don't want goalies in their prime, they want goalies in their prime couple years from now so they can develop into their prime when they are ready to challenge the cup. Lack is suitable for contending teams because he's in his prime yet all contending teams have their go-to goalie.

This season alone, Miller is a lot better than Corrado hands down. Stats wise Miller is much more successful than Corrado, and Miller walked away with a Calder cup.

Also, 13th is a lot higher than 23rd, so even if you throw in 23rd, Corrado and Lack. You probably have to throw in a roster player to get the deal to work. Lucic may be a Bertuzzi type top power forward a few years ago, he definitely didn't play like one last year. I'm pretty sure Benning is not really to take that chance on a 6mil per player who just came off a mediocre season and who can walk away after next season end. Now that is called mortgaging your future for a rental.

Lucic is a hothead, I don't think I'd want him on the Canucks, or around Vancouver for that matter- trouble seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Also when Byfuglien was a forward, I think he was one of the best power forwards.

Are you serious, 1 fight in which he was provoked, you've been listening to Pratt to much. I have met and my kids had a hockey camp with Lucic and he was fantastic. Yes I want Lucic with our prospects, when he's in the line-up everyone is a little taller and a little heavier and play with more courage.

Courage is what military personnel have when they go and fight for our country. Hockey players would play with more assurance or confidence.

Lucic is a hothead, I don't think I'd want him on the Canucks, or around Vancouver for that matter- trouble seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Also when Byfuglien was a forward, I think he was one of the best power forwards.

Yeah and Byfuglien is a choir boy who's never operated watercraft drunk out of his gourd and tried to behead Carl Hagelin with his stick.

So i'm listening to JB rationalize his draft weekend and he says something along the lines that he worked really hard to try and make a deal for Lucic... well looking at that deal 13th overall, (G)Martin Jones and (D) prospect Collin Miller and we couldn't do better? Your kidding right? Lucic is the exact top line winger this town has needed since the decline of Bertuzzi. We all witnessed what Bertuzzi did with the Sedins, Lucic would have been the perfect fit for the Sedins. Believe me when I say this Benning blew it hard. Lucic will re-up with the Kings and having a number 1 power forward on our team will remain that allusive dream.

If that's JB's idea of working really hard then the Canucks are seriously screwed. We had 2 second round picks and we have Sven and Vey to show for it. We literally gave Lack away just to keep Miller happy and apparently 5 teams are seriously interested in Bieksa but he can't even get a 2nd for him...lol, and Higgins is still a Canuck. I think i'm going to puke, terrible draft for the Canucks and for those that think we won the Kesler deal- give your heads a shake we got murdered!!!!!

Lucic would have made no difference. We could have used him a few years ago, but at this point in time Lucic is not what we need. JB is giving this team what it needs, a chance to fight for a high draft pick, and I'm not even being sarcastic. Vey And Markstrom are not great players nor are they long term players, but they will suffice until he have a chance to start getting higher picks.

While Lucic is an outstanding citizen and proud Vancouverite, it looks like he'll have his opportunity to come home next summer as a free agent. Sure, $7mil a year may be too much for what he brings in terms of offense, but he'll make up for that and more by delivering in terms of leadership, character and class.

When the day that Lucic does come home arrives, the fans will be welcoming him with open arms, as he represents what it takes to win. Like John Tortorella, he is a proven winner and will show the current team's core how it is done. Sure, it might not work out and he might turn into the next Messier here, but given all the potential for additional sports entertainment experiences that that would entail, I believe the company would treat it as a win-win.

I wouldn't want Lucic because I'd rather have a top 6 Dman Top 6 forward and a starting/backup goalie for the next 15-20 years rather than a top 6 forward for the next 10 years when most of that 10 years will be us rebuilding

BTW I'm talking about boesser, markstrom, & corrado

While Lucic is an outstanding citizen and proud Vancouverite, it looks like he'll have his opportunity to come home next summer as a free agent. Sure, $7mil a year may be too much for what he brings in terms of offense, but he'll make up for that and more by delivering in terms of leadership, character and class.

When the day that Lucic does come home arrives, the fans will be welcoming him with open arms, as he represents what it takes to win. Like John Tortorella, he is a proven winner and will show the current team's core how it is done. Sure, it might not work out and he might turn into the next Messier here, but given all the potential for additional sports entertainment experiences that that would entail, I believe the company would treat it as a win-win.

You sure put a lot of effort into sarcasm don't you?

Archived