The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom

I like Markstrom but Benning needs to get these deals under control. 2 years is good, but 1.55 for a guy that hasn't proven he is NHL calibre is too high. Eddie was a $1.18 I belive, that is exactly where Markstrom should be at. Maybe I am nitpicking but with the cap situation we are in for an awful team and the last few contracts JB has signed it's warranted.

There's no reason to pay Markstrom, Sbisa or Dorsett what they are getting paid.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Gillis' deals looked better because everyone had a NTC which brought their price down...which is also the reason this team is in the current mess it is in.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Payment for potential. Agree with it or disagree with it it's pretty common practice in the NHL.

I like Markstrom but Benning needs to get these deals under control. 2 years is good, but 1.55 for a guy that hasn't proven he is NHL calibre is too high. Eddie was a $1.18 I belive, that is exactly where Markstrom should be at. Maybe I am nitpicking but with the cap situation we are in for an awful team and the last few contracts JB has signed it's warranted.

There's no reason to pay Markstrom, Sbisa or Dorsett what they are getting paid.

It is a very small difference and buys an extra season of stability in net. This means that goaltending is settled and he can work his way out from there in terms of building a team.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun:

Markstrom signing with Vancouver: two years and $1.55 M aav

Excellent length at an excellent price.

Finally Benning signs a reasonable multi-year deal without an overpayment. Of course the cap situation imposes a lot of discipline on him as he can only pay an average of about 1 million per player for the last 6 spots on the 23 man roster (including Markstrom).

Markstrom has 2 years left as an RFA so the contract makes sense for him. If he establishes himself as #1 he will expect a big payday after that.

Means him and Miller's contracts expire in 2 years. Should be fun.

And glad the report of a long term deal isn't true. Bridge deal was the best thing to do.

The agent said he was talking about a longer deal than the one year qualifying offer. Two years is longer than one.

Because 1.55 mil for 2 years is SOOO much money.

Archived