The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom

Gillis' deals looked better because everyone had a NTC which brought their price down...which is also the reason this team is in the current mess it is in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Vrbata and Miller have some sort of modified no trade clause?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Vrbata and Miller have some sort of modified no trade clause?

Both have a limited NTC. What makes it different to me is these two were on their first contract with the Canucks. Gillis rewarded loyalty by giving NTCs on extensions/new deals.

I like Markstrom but Benning needs to get these deals under control. 2 years is good, but 1.55 for a guy that hasn't proven he is NHL calibre is too high. Eddie was a $1.18 I belive, that is exactly where Markstrom should be at. Maybe I am nitpicking but with the cap situation we are in for an awful team and the last few contracts JB has signed it's warranted.

There's no reason to pay Markstrom, Sbisa or Dorsett what they are getting paid.

Markstrom is a bit more experienced and qualified now than Eddie was a few years ago. This price is fair.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Agree with that. Gillis couldn't make a fair trade to save his life, but he was exceptional when it came to contract negotiations.

Aside from the NTCs given out lol.

13 career wins in the NHL and he gets 1.5 million dollars. He's been a great AHL guy for sure, but if people think Eddie was unproven, what the hell does that make Markstrom? Career GAA of 3.19? Are you effing serious? Remember, this is the goalie that couldn't even garner a 3rd round pick according to Canucks management's logic.

Not to mention Miller is still in Vancouver with an NTC and will want to start at least 55-60 games this year.

IF Benning can convince Miller to waive his NTC and actually move him (Doesn't SJ still need a goalie?) I like this deal.

If Markstrom doesn't get a chance to play at least 40 games, it's a waste of money.

Maybe Canucks management is betting Miller re-injures that knee.

13 career wins in the NHL and he gets 1.5 million dollars. He's been a great AHL guy for sure, but if people think Eddie was unproven, what the hell does that make Markstrom? Career GAA of 3.19? Are you effing serious? Remember, this is the goalie that couldn't even garner a 3rd round pick according to Canucks management's logic.

Not to mention Miller is still in Vancouver with an NTC and will want to start at least 55-60 games this year.

IF Benning can convince Miller to waive his NTC and actually move him (Doesn't SJ still need a goalie?) I like this deal.

If Markstrom doesn't get a chance to play at least 40 games, it's a waste of money.

If you were to look into the average salary for back up goaltenders I would guess that his contract would be low

I'm going to throw out a guess at 2 million average

People who think Eddie is unproven are wrong, like the same people who thought Cory friggin' Schneider was unproven before we traded him.

Markstrom has size and athleticism in abundance, years of AHL experience and has dealt with adversity every since he was 20 and thrown into the league by Florida well before he was ready. If he gets a run of games in any of the next two years and puts up reasonable numbers, that'll be huge for the final step of his development, I reckon. He's going to have more than 13 wins over this term, that's for sure.

His most recent statistics and the belief from the Canucks management is telling of his ability.

People who think Eddie is unproven are wrong, like the same people who thought Cory friggin' Schneider was unproven before we traded him.

Markstrom has size and athleticism in abundance, years of AHL experience and has dealt with adversity every since he was 20 and thrown into the league by Florida well before he was ready. If he gets a run of games in any of the next two years and puts up reasonable numbers, that'll be huge for the final step of his development, I reckon. He's going to have more than 13 wins over this term, that's for sure.

His most recent statistics and the belief from the Canucks management is telling of his ability.

We will find out one way or another next season. I don't like the Canucks chances to be honest. I know Edmonton has been a joke for the last decade, but McLellan is not Dallas Eakins. Calgary looks tough as nails also.

I think there will be some boo birds this season.

Archived