The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom

im glad he is signed for 2 years. Regardless what ppl will say, He has proven nothing at the nhl level and there was no reason to have to pay him that much.

You dont give someone a raise at the nhl level for playing good in the ahl. He needs to come in and proove he is worth that contract. Management obviously believes in him alot.

Under 3gaa and .905 or better sv perc next season is a must

I hope he can shine and be reliable to play 20 plus games next year for us. Backup goalies who make this kind of money usually ahve a proven nhl track record, Markstrom does not have thatha

All the best markstrom, I hope you come in and play well, we need each and every player next year to have a good season to have a chance at making the Aquillinis their home playoff money

Hell of a deal, with it expiring in two years, he'll have to prove to management that he can be the guy to take us forward. I like it.

Exactly and if he has only saved the Canucks during any Miller injuries while becoming popular in the community the Canucks can decide to re-sign Miller and deal Markstrom away........too soon ? Hehehe

But no I like this deal and look forward to seeing Markstrom this upcoming season.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Hes played outstanding for the organization and has put the work in to grow as a goalie. He was a massive reason for the success of the Comets this past season he is, rightly, being rewarded.

It is a very small difference and buys an extra season of stability in net. This means that goaltending is settled and he can work his way out from there in terms of building a team.

There's always an excuse to justify overpaying a guy, but the great gm's get guys signed to what they should be signed for. JB needs to do that if he wants to be a top GM.

Sorry but Markstrom, Dorsett and Sbisa are very easily replaceable so there's no reason to pay over market value.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Technically it is Lawrence Gilman that is in charge of the negotiations and of cap spending.

So technically that would fall on him

Hes played outstanding for the organization and has put the work in to grow as a goalie. He was a massive reason for the success of the Comets this past season he is, rightly, being rewarded.

This is true, also nothing wrong with showing faith in a netminder you as a franchise are moving forward with as the next starter. You take care of any security and role right away, let him focus on his development.

Rules of the game, his RFA qualifying offer was 1.4 million (Can thank Florida for overpaying when they thought he was the one). Any extension would be at bare minimum 1.4 and likely more as it is. 1.55 AAV is fair, its only 350K aav more than his previous contract.

My guess is the break down is 1.4 in the first year, and 1.7 in the final year. So basically it's a qualifier for the first year, and if he makes it and is successful, he gets a slight raise (300K) in year two and then gets to negotiate a long term deal before year two expires, as he's ready to take the reigns from Miller.

I approve of this signing.

Technically it is Lawrence Gilman that is in charge of the negotiations and of cap spending.

So technically that would fall on him

And also technically we still are paying out 800k for goaltending we don't have thanks to MG and his "cap management", that 1.5 for a playing backup looks dam sweet next to that. ;)

Agree with that. Gillis couldn't make a fair trade to save his life, but he was exceptional when it came to contract negotiations.

Aside from the NTCs given out lol.

That's what made Gillis' contracts so cheap in the first place...

NTCs or cheap contracts, it's one or the other people.

So Markstrom is now paid more than Cam Talbot but we couldn't trade Markstrom for a bag of pucks. Why would anyone be impressed with this signing?

Difference is Talbot is on an existing contract that has 1 year left before he's UFA. Expect him to get paid after this year, providing he plays half decent.

Also, JB wasn't trying to trade Markstrom, as he believes Markstrom is the future of this team.

Archived