The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jacob Markstrom

Can't multi quote all the responses so I'll just say something in general

First off don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of marky. He looked amazing in camp last year and I wasn't surprised how well he played in the AHL.

That being said his nhl stats are poor. They are not deserving of the cap hit. I understand the potential but I don't see how an RFA that has been bad in the nhl gets anything over a million. Anyways, good for him. Hope he's the new luongo.

Still JB is bad at contacts.

Dorsett, sbisa, Miller all overpaid by about 1 million imo.

Again I'm a big fan of all 3 players but that's 3 million cap we lost.

He's bad at contracts. Not sure if gillman has much say anymore?

His scouting better make up for it.

And also technically we still are paying out 800k for goaltending we don't have thanks to MG and his "cap management", that 1.5 for a playing backup looks dam sweet next to that. ;)

That was a great contract. Got us to game 7 of the final and canucks would have had a cup wrapped up in 5 games had the nhl not been fixed. But it is what it is. Lui was back and settled but then torts pushed him out - by far the worst coaching move in franchise history (or at least since I've watched from 2001)

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

.5 million is nothing in terms of the cap hit if that can keep Markstrom happy and wanting to play hard for the team.

Gillis was managing a contending team so he had to manage the dollar values of the contracts carefully (i.e., cheaper cap hit for NTC/NMC).

Benning is managing a team in retool, so he needs to pay more attention to the length of the contracts so that it doesn't sag the team when the team actually becomes a contender. The dollar terms is not that big of a deal as long the contracts can be easily moved. In my opinion, he has achieved that with all of the recent signings.

I personally don't have any problem withe the dollar values. The extra dollars that JB is handing out is nothing if it serves as a motivation for the player to give his best and play hard. Happy employees make for a successful company.

That was a great contract. Got us to game 7 of the final and canucks would have had a cup wrapped up in 5 games had the nhl not been fixed. But it is what it is. Lui was back and settled but then torts pushed him out - by far the worst coaching move in franchise history (or at least since I've watched from 2001)

You mean got us to game 5 of the finals don't you. He then folded like a cheap tent. Also I'm curious as to which of those first 5 games you think were "fixed" by the NHL...

You mean got us to game 5 of the finals don't you. He then folded like a cheap tent. Also I'm curious as to which of those first 5 games you think were "fixed" by the NHL...

Oh ya. TOTALLY all Lui's fault we had plethora of injuries and also our forwards couldn't score for $&!#.

Oh ya. TOTALLY all Lui's fault we had plethora of injuries and also our forwards couldn't score for crap.

True it's never a goalies fault it's the whole team nobody's blaming them that they couldn't score we had a lot of injuries.. Luongo did his best with what he had in front of him at the time and yet still getting the blame..

@NEWS1130Sports:

#Canucks have re-signed Jacob Markstrom to a 2-year deal

Yea, talk about a "long term deal" : :D

lol considering benning just signed vey to one year... i yell favortism! vey should be filing for a grievance!

We coulda won 5 cups with Luongo and signing him till 2045 like we did still woulda been a bad contract. Bad contracts are bad contracts. We are still living under the massive risk that contract has if he retires too. Horrible.

Wait... W0t?

How does a goalie that's never had nhl success earn over 1 mill? Seriously... W0t?

I don't comprehend. Gillis managed money far Better than JB.

Lol.

A. I hope your kidding

B. That's because MG handed out no trade clauses like they were Halloween candy

Payment for potential. Agree with it or disagree with it it's pretty common practice in the NHL.

This.

I'm confident that he can make the transition after such a good season in the AHL. The right kinda confidence can take you a long way along with good help and training. He seems to be getting that with us right now.

All 7 where fixed... The fact we won 3 games shows what a better team we were.

The nhl did everything they could to help the hawks, preds, sharks and bruins beat us. The 2011 canucks were so talented they won in spite of all that. Don't kid yourself the nhl has 0 integrity.

Gregory Campbell's dady made sure he got his way.

Can't multi quote all the responses so I'll just say something in general

First off don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of marky. He looked amazing in camp last year and I wasn't surprised how well he played in the AHL.

That being said his nhl stats are poor. They are not deserving of the cap hit. I understand the potential but I don't see how an RFA that has been bad in the nhl gets anything over a million. Anyways, good for him. Hope he's the new luongo.

Still JB is bad at contacts.

Dorsett, sbisa, Miller all overpaid by about 1 million imo.

Again I'm a big fan of all 3 players but that's 3 million cap we lost.

He's bad at contracts. Not sure if gillman has much say anymore?

His scouting better make up for it.

I don't know with 100% certainty as I'm not a CBA expert, but I believe the restrictions around RFA compensation is such that it CANNOT be lower than what the player made on their previous contract.

IE, Florida signed him to his previous contract @ 1m for year 1 and 1.4m year 2 for a total AAV of 1.2m

Since his last year of salary was 1.4m, that was what his qualifying offer was set as per the CBA. Since they were negotiating the terms of an extension, the negotiations started @ 1.4m and go up from there.

Since the AAV is 1.55m and it's a 2 year deal, it's my guess that they structured it like this:

2015-2016 - 1.4m -- Same as his previous salary and same as his qualifying offer

2016-2017 - 1.7m -- 300k raise

So I look at this as they took a small cap hit increase ($350K) in order to secure more than one year to see if he can rise to the occasion, so to speak. It has nothing to do with what he's proven thus far, JB & Co believe he's the go to guy for the future; what's important to realize in this situation is that decision came after the year of development he had in Utica and subsequent playoff run.

JB obviously feels comfortable enough with the progress to depart with Lack and stick with Markstrom, so I'm okay with this signing.

-------

Correction:

According to GeneralFanager.com, Markstrom's salary break down is 1.5m for 2015-2016 and 1.6m for 2016-2017, so this next season is actually a 100K raise for Markstrom.

I think a lot of people are severely discounting what it means for your GM to be 100% behind you. Markstrom's problem last year was not his skill, it was his mental ability to shake off adversity. The guy had and still has immense promise. Florida rushed his development and destroyed his confidence.

This year he will likely see about 25 or so games. Next year he should see closer to a 50/50 split and the season after he will become the starter. It's my guess that after this current contract, Miller will move on, and JB will sign a veteran backup for Markstrom for 2017-2018.

JM's contact is very reasonable in both term and salary IMO. There are tight regs regarding RFA's and JB knows that at the end of this contract, if all goes as planned, he could be in a very different bargaining situation. JM hopefully will be an elite NHL goalie in his absolute prime when this current deal expires. JM will have all the bargaining leverage then and JB knows this . Better to make a mutually agreeable contract now and secure a positive relationship upon which to base future negotiations.

This contact is very reasonable so I don't know what some are complaining about anyway?

JM's contact is very reasonable in both term and salary IMO. There are tight regs regarding RFA's and JB knows that at the end of this contract, if all goes as planned, he could be in a very different bargaining situation. JM hopefully will be an elite NHL goalie in his absolute prime when this current deal expires. JM will have all the bargaining leverage then and JB knows this . Better to make a mutually agreeable contract now and secure a positive relationship upon which to base future negotiations.

This contact is very reasonable so I don't know what some are complaining about anyway?

The average Canuck fan is impossible to please.

It's a solid signing, and market value for a backup goaltender. I agree, JM based on his AHL body of work last season and the season previous has earned the NHL shot, I'm just glad there's no more controversy.

All 7 where fixed... The fact we won 3 games shows what a better team we were.

The nhl did everything they could to help the hawks, preds, sharks and bruins beat us. The 2011 canucks were so talented they won in spite of all that. Don't kid yourself the nhl has 0 integrity.

Gregory Campbell's dady made sure he got his way.

Don't suppose you would care to name any specific details about this "fixing" would you?

Fair deal, means there can be no goalie controversy in two years' time when Thatcher Demko has cleaned house in his rookie AHL season B)

Markstrom's problem last year was not his skill, it was his mental ability to shake off adversity. The guy had and still has immense promise. Florida rushed his development and destroyed his confidence.

I'm getting sick of hearing this rubbish; as ForsbergTheGreat kindly pointed out to me fully 8 of Markstroms 13 career NHL wins were in a 10 week period of 2013 where he played his very best NHL hockey with numbers that approach his AHL stats. If anything it is the Canucks that have (somehow) screwed him up. .868 and .879 save % last two years with us yet in those 8 games for FLA his WORST save % was .939. This "Florida ruined him" nonsense is revisionist history at its finest.

Archived