The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Sven Baertschi worth losing Oliver Kylington?

Matt_T83

I'm really starting to dislike GM JB moves. He seems like he's not making rational decisions and running with his gut, which generally isn't a good way to do things.

He traded away our 2014 2nd round pick for Linden Vey, when he could have just re-signed Santorelli. Santo ended up being better anyway, and would have cost us nothing to keep him.

Then he trades this years 2nd round pick (in what everyone is calling a deep draft) for Sven Baertschi. Don't get me wrong, SB is a good player and I think will make the NHL. But Oliver Kylington was still available at the 53rd overall pick. He was ranked 5th amongst European skaters if I remember correctly, and was at once time projected to be a top 10 pick (but had a disappointing draft year).

The flames took Rasmus Andersson who had tons of points from what I remember, and then ended up getting Kylington anyway with another pick a little later.

In my opinion Benning just threw away 2 picks. If Kylington develops into an NHL defenseman in the next 2 years, the Canucks should consider getting rid of Benning. Talk about disappointment. I was hoping only he made bad moves due to his rookie year, but this year hasn't been any better.

I'm really starting to dislike GM JB moves. He seems like he's not making rational decisions and running with his gut, which generally isn't a good way to do things.

He traded away our 2014 2nd round pick for Linden Vey, when he could have just re-signed Santorelli. Santo ended up being better anyway, and would have cost us nothing to keep him.

Then he trades this years 2nd round pick (in what everyone is calling a deep draft) for Sven Baertschi. Don't get me wrong, SB is a good player and I think will make the NHL. But Oliver Kylington was still available at the 53rd overall pick. He was ranked 5th amongst European skaters if I remember correctly, and was at once time projected to be a top 10 pick (but had a disappointing draft year).

The flames took Rasmus Andersson who had tons of points from what I remember, and then ended up getting Kylington anyway with another pick a little later.

In my opinion Benning just threw away 2 picks. If Kylington develops into a top defenseman, the Canucks should sit down and have a little talk with GM JB on his decisions.

Most scouts believe that Kylington doesn't have great hockey IQ. He's really fast and can handle the puck, but he doesn't know what to do with it a lot of the time, ad his shot isn't that great either. I still think it would have been a fine gamble to pick him in the second if we had a pick, but I don't think he's going to tear up the NHL any time soon.

Baertschi has the potential to be a second line NHLer next year, that's tremendous value for a late second considering his age.

Relax, It'll likely take years to answer that question with any certainty. But in general if you can trade a completly unknown quantity like a 2nd round pick (the position of which was unknown at the time) for a young nhl ready prospect, you make the deal. Most picks turn out to be busts

A this point, Baertschi is far more likely to make the NHL and have success than any of those two picks by Calgary.

Well Sven could show up after a three week hookers and blow bender with a Randy cheesburger gut and he's still making the team.

In my opinion Benning just threw away 2 picks. If Kylington develops into an NHL defenseman in the next 2 years, the Canucks should consider getting rid of Benning. Talk about disappointment. I was hoping only he made bad moves due to his rookie year, but this year hasn't been any better.

There are quite a few JB moves that I've disagreed with, but trading the 2nd for Baertschi most definitely isn't one of them.

Imo Baertschi was a better chance to get a player than the lottery ticket that might have been available for the mid to late 2nd rounder the Canucks were going to turn out with. As it turns out it was a fairly late 2nd rounder.

Also, I doubt that the Canucks would have taken Kyllington. The player Calgary took with the pick, Rasmus Andersson, would have more likely imo.

If there is anyone who use their head to make decisions it would be JB.

Saying Santo is better thatn Vey is very short sighted. You can't compare a rookie with a Vet unless the rookie is someone like McDavid, even Bo in our case. Vey did fine for a rookie so give him some time.

Trading for SB was a good move since we more or less have a guaranteed NHL player rather than having to gamble on unproven prospects. JB probably would have drafted Briesbois (I may have botched the name) anyways with our late 2nd round pick. Saying to fire JB if the prospect that Calgary took makes it is irrational. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't justify firing a gm for how others' prospects turn out.

Santorelli would never have signed to play the role Vey earned with the club. He wasn't coming back and the Canucks obtained a rookie who scored 10 goals his rookie season in a limited role.

Sven Baertschi was definitely worth the 2nd round pick, he was last season bordering on NHL ready and should earn a scoring role this season if all goes according to plan.

How do you know the Canucks wanted Kylington or Andersson ? the Canucks have been adding young scorers and added Brisebois.

I feel the Canucks ( not that I know what happened ) could have been a team that could have challenged to bring Hamilton in, and as much as the shock has worn off I still feel the Canucks should have moved Bieksa for the 16' 2nd and Lack well the team will only get what others will pay and i am sold on the team's direction with their goaltending.

Simply put, yes. We have no wingers who are ready to jump in and play a top six role in the next couple of years. We thought Jensen would be the guy but his development has taken longer than expected. Baertschi at least gives us speed and a good shot to add to our top six. Nothing against Higgins or Hansen or Burr but do you really think we can win games and score goals with either one of those guys on the 2nd line and provide secondary offence?

The reason we traded for Vey was a) Because WD wanted him. B) because he didn't know if Horvat would've made the roster.

LMAO we were never drafting Kylington.

Archived