The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Sven Baertschi worth losing Oliver Kylington?

Matt_T83

Santorelli would never have signed to play the role Vey earned with the club. He wasn't coming back and the Canucks obtained a rookie who scored 10 goals his rookie season in a limited role.

To be fair a lot of those goals came early in the season while playing with the Sedin's on the powerplay. Agree that comparing Santorelli to Vey is fruitless though.

The attitude on CDC that past few days: Whoever is in this organization sucks and whoever isn't is amazing.

Crazy, this is the worst its been. Worse than the year of the Torts and Gillis firing.

It is exactly the same as it's always been I assure you

Yes. McKeown had a terrible season. Offensive dman? No signs of that. Judging by how some on CDC reacted to Virtanen's season, the same people probably would have set Mckeown's parents' house on fire by now.

:lol: Oh CDC ...

I find it ironic how some fans second guess our GM.

Our picks are based on a pretty thorough study of each player they wanted to draft. I am certain that would entail actually watching a young prospect play on several ocassions prior to the draft. In addition, those players are interviewed at the Combine. Their physical fitness, character and junior performance is closely scrutinized and then analyzed by a group of professional scouts who I feel have a lot more expertise than most of the fans on CDC. They are then individually scored and rated by a proven formula used by all teams for that specific purpose.

What I don't understand is how fans become privy to the same evaluation criteria and will boldly suggest that our team management did everything wrong in the draft, or they don't like the selection(s) that were made by our GM. In other words, what they are suggesting to intelligentt people is, i don't need all that evaluation hocus pokus, I feel it just as credible to fly by the seat of my pants, using my personal knowledge how to properly select draft picks. In my humble opinion, that is nothing but a bunch of arrogant BS. Those type of people do not have a clue about drafting a hockey player, evaluating a young player or even the game itself. They hear it on stations like 1040, believe it as though it was gospel and then try to portray themselves as an expert on the subject.

I don't know why they just don't mix that self professed knowledge with dirt. That is all it is - BS.

There are quite a few JB moves that I've disagreed with, but trading the 2nd for Baertschi most definitely isn't one of them.

Imo Baertschi was a better chance to get a player than the lottery ticket that might have been available for the mid to late 2nd rounder the Canucks were going to turn out with. As it turns out it was a fairly late 2nd rounder.

Also, I doubt that the Canucks would have taken Kyllington. The player Calgary took with the pick, Rasmus Andersson, would have more likely imo.

Good analysis. Right now Baertschi has a much better expected value than a typical mid-to-low second round pick. Much such players do not do as well in the AHL as Baertschi did. So that was a good deal. Baertschi looks very much like a mid-to-low first rounder that JB got a second round pick. Good value. Of course there is still uncertainty and we will not have a really good read on Baertschi until next season.

I agree with the OP that the Vey pick appears to be a wasted pick. I would have preferred that the Canucks re-sign Santo. He as good last year and will likely be good for another 2 or 3 years. By that time I think it is unlikely that Vey is still with the Canucks. I think the odds are against him making the top 12 this year. I am predicting he will be 13th man and will get a chance to show what he can when someone else gets injured. By by next season the Canucks will have too many good young forwards knocking on the door. Assuming Horvat is 2C, Bonino becomes 3C and Hansen and Dorsett will be bottom 6 wingers. Lots of other guys will be fighting for other 3 spots in the bottom 6 in the fall of 2016, including Virtanen, Grenier, McCann, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Kenins and maybe Kassian.

I agree that Benning was never going to pick Kylington. But there are other guys picked in the second round who it would have been good to have.

Wow I didn't realise how many "NHL caliber" gm's frequent the cdc. Jim Benning should really take some notes. No I am being serious, I dont think he gave any thought about trading his 2nd round pick who may be years away from making an impact for a young gun that is ready to contribute to our 2nd line (something we have missed dearly!). This trade was dumb. Jim Benning knows nothing about building a team because he can't get around ntc's and make a cup contender in one season.

I find it ironic how some fans second guess our GM.

Our picks are based on a pretty thorough study of each player they wanted to draft. I am certain that would entail actually watching a young prospect play on several ocassions prior to the draft. In addition, those players are interviewed at the Combine. Their physical fitness, character and junior performance is closely scrutinized and then analyzed by a group of professional scouts who I feel have a lot more expertise than most of the fans on CDC. They are then individually scored and rated by a proven formula used by all teams for that specific purpose.

What I don't understand is how fans become privy to the same evaluation criteria and will boldly suggest that our team management did everything wrong in the draft, or they don't like the selection(s) that were made by our GM. In other words, what they are suggesting to intelligentt people is, i don't need all that evaluation hocus pokus, I feel it just as credible to fly by the seat of my pants, using my personal knowledge how to properly select draft picks. In my humble opinion, that is nothing but a bunch of arrogant BS. Those type of people do not have a clue about drafting a hockey player, evaluating a young player or even the game itself. They hear it on stations like 1040, believe it as though it was gospel and then try to portray themselves as an expert on the subject.

I don't know why they just don't mix that self professed knowledge with dirt. That is all it is - BS.

Hey! I was a NHL player for 20+ years who scored a metric butt-tonne of goals and even one not one but two Stanley Cups. I then was a scout for 20+ years and then managed an NHL team to three separate Stanley Cups.

I think I know what I'm talking about.

Sidenote: I'm also a marine, an astronaut, and a minor deity.

True story.

Sven makes the team now. It's a lame question. Can you make an honest comparison between the two players now? I don't think so. Hypothetical projections for a prospect should never be made.

On a side note ... Timberwolf has my favorite GIF all time!! May the force be with you sir :)

Getting a former first rounder that may be in our top 9 next year for a kid that fell dramatically in the draft? You do realize only about 25% of 2nd round picks ever make the NHL. I guess if Kylington is the exception you can play "Captain I said So" sometime in the future. For me, I'll take Baertschi.

Gee, Baertschi is going to surprise a lot of people next year...

There's a reason he was the best player in the CHL and dominated the AHL this season...

I'm not sure if any prospects we've drafted have put up as good of numbers as Sven did this year in the AHL?

I'm really starting to dislike GM JB moves. He seems like he's not making rational decisions and running with his gut, which generally isn't a good way to do things.

He traded away our 2014 2nd round pick for Linden Vey, when he could have just re-signed Santorelli. Santo ended up being better anyway, and would have cost us nothing to keep him.

Then he trades this years 2nd round pick (in what everyone is calling a deep draft) for Sven Baertschi. Don't get me wrong, SB is a good player and I think will make the NHL. But Oliver Kylington was still available at the 53rd overall pick. He was ranked 5th amongst European skaters if I remember correctly, and was at once time projected to be a top 10 pick (but had a disappointing draft year).

The flames took Rasmus Andersson who had tons of points from what I remember, and then ended up getting Kylington anyway with another pick a little later.

In my opinion Benning just threw away 2 picks. If Kylington develops into an NHL defenseman in the next 2 years, the Canucks should consider getting rid of Benning. Talk about disappointment. I was hoping only he made bad moves due to his rookie year, but this year hasn't been any better.

Another ridiculous post. Baertshi has only played a few games...can we at least give him a chance before we pass our ignorant opinions.

Archived