The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Martin Jones to San Jose

Martin Jones is a starter how?

I found it interesting that SJ still had to pay a 1st after practically all the other goaltenders already found homes. Is Jones that much better? Nope.

But maybe SJ plans on making some more moves to win now. imho They kinda have to.

Apparently Wilson approached Sweeney at the draft after the Jones trade went down. I'm guessing Sweeney told SJS that he didn't need to trade Jones and Wilson got desperate because there weren't any real viable options left on the market.

And yeah, it would explain their interest in Bieksa as well. They're on a similar trajectory to the Canucks but they might be doing it in an even worse way.

So Boston got a 1st from the Lucic trade, along with Jones.

Now they got another 1st for trading Jones away.

Along with the 1st and the 2 2nd's they got from Hamilton.

That's 3 1st's and 2 2nd's.

THIS is rebuilding.

Boston has how many other pro sports franchises to keep ppl busy while the Bruins suck for the next 4 years......;)?.

Just kidding, they're certainly going with the bandaid RIGHT OFF method vs the slow removal.

Martin Jones is a starter how?

I found it interesting that SJ still had to pay a 1st after practically all the other goaltenders already found homes. Is Jones that much better? Nope.

But maybe SJ plans on making some more moves to win now. imho They kinda have to.

Jones is not a proven starter yet but if you compare lack game to Jones you would take Jones any day over lack and he 2 years younger with time to grow. Lack is you see what you get he ain't getting any better.

Lack lateral movement is awful and hes slow getting back on his feet. There have been times last year were the Canucks have scored 3,4,5 goals in a game yet the game is still tied.

Canucks fan just like lack cuz of his personality. If trades were based of how good of a person you are we would of got multiple 1st round picks for lack. Haha

This may be hard for Canucks fans to hear since they have such a hard on for the guy, but Jones has more value, as did Talbot & Lehner than Lack. Nothing against Lack, but he's not as great as so many Canucks fans think.

Talbot is overrated. He played behind the best defence in the league and barely had better numbers than Lack. He's going to get fleeced playing behind the Oilers $&!#ty defence. While Lehner and Jones have the RFA status to their advantage, neither of them had great seasons. They're not worth 1st rounders. You don't trade a 1st rounder for a guy who's not ready to step in as a starter right away, unless you're desperate.

And FYOI, not only Canucks fans thought that the return for Lack was too low. Basically everyone though that the return was too low. Do you seriously think that a 3rd rounder is fair value? Jokes on you. I would've been ok with a 2nd rounder/2 3rd round picks.

Overpayment. I realize he is handcuffed by Thornton and Marleau's NTC's, but the moves they have made in San Jose the last few years have been absolutely bewildering. Todd McLellan probably did backflips down the hall after being let go.

Wilson will be out of a job by the end of the season.

90% sure we don't get a first from SJS regardless of whether we kept Lack or not. While Lack might be more "ready" right now, I think most hockey people would say that Jones' ceiling is higher than Lack's. Not to mention that Lack has had middling results (especially in the playoffs) while Jones has been given sheltered minutes by virtue of playing behind Quick & by being on one of the best teams in the league. San Jose is taking a gamble similar to what we are on Markstrom; if Jones reaches his potential this season the first rounder was well worth it. The difference is Jones has far more experience and is probably a safer bet than Markstrom, & we didn't have to trade away a first rounder for him.

The introduction of Jones and Khudobin into the goalie market really lowered the value of Lack and Talbot, because teams had better options to pursue in Lehner & Jones. Of the goalies that were available Jones & Lehner likely had the best ceilings, and so teams were willing to pay first rounders for them. Talbot and Lack are likely good starting goaltenders, but doubtful to be great.

Agree 100% , except it still doesn't change the fact that Eddie was worth a 2nd.

Why does everybody from Lehner to Talbot have higher potential than Lack again?

For all we know Lack can play like a Vezina candidate next year.

Stop making up reasons to feel good about bad trades.

You are right that they don't. And JB should've been able to get more.

But Lack sort of plays an unorthodox style and although he is athletic, it looks (looks, not is) as if though he has unsound goalie techniques (for example, compare Lack to Luongo and Price's techniques). And as such, it gives off a feeling that some shots that have no business ending up in the back of the net, may end up in the net and we've seen that it does at times when Lack is not on his game or when he is tried from long stretch of games. The other teams' scouts may think of that as a red flag.

Eddie is kind of like Hasek and how undervalued he was before he emerged. I'm not saying Eddie will be as good as Hasek but... I have a feeling that out of the goalies that were traded the last couple of days, Lehner, Jones, Talbot, and Lack, Lack will turn out to be the best of them all.

Archived