The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Martin Jones to San Jose

mind-blown-6.gif

I'm so confused... How is Jones worth a 1st yet we couldn't get more than a 3rd for Lack? Different drafts and RFA vs UFA I understand, but Jones' body of work is nothing like Lack's. San Jose got to see Lack put up a 2nd star performance in one game and also stop 23-24 in relief of Markstrom in another game last year. Do they really feel Jones is that much better?

mind-blown-6.gif

I'm so confused... How is Jones worth a 1st yet we couldn't get more than a 3rd for Lack? Different drafts and RFA vs UFA I understand, but Jones' body of work is nothing like Lack's. San Jose got to see Lack put up a 2nd star performance in one game and also stop 23-24 in relief of Markstrom in another game last year. Do they really feel Jones is that much better?

Two words: Pure hype.

mind-blown-6.gif

well as unfortunate as it may be it appears teams were looking at Lack as a backup to their starters in any trade. Apparently Lack was traded to Carolina to serve as back up so for that reason alone his value being a 3rd where as other trades Jones, Talbot, Lehner were all done with the intent of said players being starters with their new clubs.

I find comparing trade values is like comparing housing prices.

Just because your neighbour's house sold for 2 mil, doesn't mean yours will.

You may set the asking price at 2 mil, but if noone puts in the offer, you won't be getting it. Vice versa, if the buyer really like the house, and there was other offers coming in, they are more likely to match or go above asking price.

Anyhoo, carry on.

mind-blown-6.gif

It's not about perceived value. Doug Wilson missed out on a chance to have Lack or Talbot at a much more reasonable price at the draft and as such, has to overpay because he had nothing to go with and very few pieces to chase.

Jones is not worth a first, GMDW painted himself into a corner and had no other recourse.

the scary part.....THAT SJ 1st is going to be top 10

Martin Jones is about as good as Jake Allen, and about as hyped as Bernier was, he is absolutely worth a 1st. A top 10 pick.... No. Boston has done well actually, a part from moving their best young defenseman.

Jones is one of the best young goalies in the league, SJ won't regret getting him, but the pick is a hefty price. As for comparing value to Eddie's deal... Different players in different stages of their careers. Eddie has the experience and is on the cusp on being a starter. But anyone that's watched them play knows Jones has a higher ceiling, he might even be an Allstar in 2 years time. He looks a lot more like Schneids than Lack does.

Whenever hockey insiders spoke about goalies on the market, they'd first mention Talbot then Lehner then jones and then lack. The consensus in the league and media was that lack was bottom of that list of goalies being chased by other teams. Multiple reasons for it include age, projection of future performances, abilities. contract and hype.

Even NHL 15 would laugh at you if you attempted this trade. People are looking way too far into other GM's ripping each other off. Not everyone can fleece another GM.

Although I'm not 100% happy with the Lack trade, I am happy that there will be no goalie controversy next season and that JB can focus on other tasks at hand.

Doug Wilson is an idiot though. He could have had Lack and Bieksa for a 1st and a 2nd easily. That would have been a much better pill to swallow over trading a 1st for a unproven backup goalie.

Martin Jones is about as good as Jake Allen, and about as hyped as Bernier was, he is absolutely worth a 1st. A top 10 pick.... No. Boston has done well actually, a part from moving their best young defenseman.

Jones is one of the best young goalies in the league, SJ won't regret getting him, but the pick is a hefty price. As for comparing value to Eddie's deal... Different players in different stages of their careers. Eddie has the experience and is on the cusp on being a starter. But anyone that's watched them play knows Jones has a higher ceiling, he might even be an Allstar in 2 years time. He looks a lot more like Schneids than Lack does.

I like Jones he plays a very similar style to Quick and I believe he is much bigger at around 6'3 but that being said he hasn't played much in the League and he's played on a team that is VERY good defensively and you know every time he plays they were a veteran team that was like lets not leave this kid out to dry and they played well in front of him.

I just don't know how good he is because LA is one of the best teams defensively on a team like Sharks he must just get lit up.

What I'd wonder is if there was any package deal proposed to SJ that could have sent Lack and Bieska there.

If what LeBrun is reporting is true, San Jose has been after Jones for 6 months. I think Wilson had tunnel vision about the goalie he wanted and probably didn't want Lack at all.

Whenever hockey insiders spoke about goalies on the market, they'd first mention Talbot then Lehner then jones and then lack. The consensus in the league and media was that lack was bottom of that list of goalies being chased by other teams. Multiple reasons for it include age, projection of future performances, abilities. contract and hype.

They clearly didn't use CDC as a source. :)

Lol. Benning looks like more of an idiot than he already is. Jones played behind the best puck possession team in the league last yr - and lack still had a significantly better SV%. Meanwhile, Lack played behind Sbsa all season.

That's who you make a trade and get value for players, Benning take notes.

Archived