The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Which free agent dman should the Canucks get?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Irwin for two reasons ... 1- I like him a lot and 2- it will negatively impact the Sharks and I'm certain Wilson screwed the Canucks lol

Ok spite probably isn't a great motive but our new, updated model of the Canucks will need a healthy dose of 'testicular fortitude' to compete with some of the talent in our division. May as well start at the top!

The Canucks have traditionally wanted / had the 4 LH / 4 RH Shoot Defensemen:

LH: RH:

-Edler -Tanev

-Hamhuis -Clendening

-Sbisa -Corrado

_______ _______

I feel like the left-handed spot needs to be more of a depth guy (ala Stanton-quality), and so I don't think that Irwin will sign. Bartkowski - maybe? Depends on whether he's interested in having a depth role, but no way do I see him signing for 3+ million per year.

The right-hand blank is the one where I see the most opportunity, since Clendening and Corrado will both go through growing pains, and there should be a reliable vet for backup. Franson's too expensive, so cross him off the list. Looking through General Fanager, the two right-handed UFAs that are the most intriguing to me are: Jaime McBain and Zbynek Michalek. Michalek is probably out of our league due to salary cap concerns, but McBain played for league minimum last year just to stay in the NHL. He's consistently put up decent numbers based on playing time, and as a 7th/8th defenseman he might be a good fit.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Clendening

Sbisa-Corrado

Bartkowski-McBain

I have Richard Bachman and Matt Irwin as my two free agent targets.

Franson isn't as good as his contract will reflect and I don't think most of you would value him as highly as you do if he played for the Canucks and you were exposed to him more often. If you think Sbisa makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone.... and 5 mil on top of that.... or maybe an injury prone half working Mike Green at 6 million will bring a cup to Vancouver?

No need to over pay someone here. Make some smart, cheaper signings.

I really think Matt Irwin is a great fit here and Bachman is a good fit in Utica and in case of injuries to Miller or Marky, he has shown that he can get it done in the NHL as well.

I swear if I see another person suggesting Ehrhoff I don't know what I am going to do. It's 2015, not 2010/11.

I'm also not on the Bartkowski hate train, he would be a good signing.

Would cost too much to be an option and, "looking to establish a new core of young players".

Sure as hell would cost less than Franson, who we aren't getting for $5M by the way.

I'm not sure what you think Ehrhoff will actually cost, either.

At those prices?

Hahaha...nobody. Seriously like at all. Sink or swim with the depth we have

Some of those prices aren't even realistic.

Jason Garrison was a horrible defenseman for us. Just as Bieksa became one. Bartkowski is younger, has great potential, and will deliver the goods.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Matt Bartkowski at $3mil is A LOT better than Garrison at $4mil and Bieksa at $4.5mil.

Bartkowski, unlike Garrison, has a shot that can get on net and he is a good power play threat, as he proved in college. Sure, he has zero goals in the NHL so far, but that will change when he starts getting Sedin feeds on the power play. Bartkowski actually has scored one goal in the playoffs, making him a clutch performer.

Bartkowski has played 131 games so far and is an unrestricted free agent. After his solid seasons in Boston he is ready for a good raise. His best asset by far, Bartkowski's hockey iq is through the roof and that's why he on the Canuck radar. Unlike Garrison who can't shoot the puck worth a darn and Bieksa who constantly makes brain farts while covering for Sbisa, Matt Bartkowski will be a welcome addition to the Canucks that will entertain fans here for years to come.

Bartkowski is the perfect blend of skill, speed and physicality that the Canucks really need right now. We should be very, very excited when he officially signs with the Vancouver Canucks.

You should stay away from border crossings considering what you must be on...

How does zero NHL goals in 131 games help us?

He couldn't even score at lower levels.

Prime age and not very physical, no offense... like a less skilled Stanton.

Please no, please no, please no.

If ownership doesn't want to rebuild and miss playoffs because of $$$. Don't sign a D man, save that $$$ and let us miss the playoffs so we can actually get a good draft pick. Last time we had a top 10 pick it turned into Horvat.

I agree, but Virtanen was drafted the year after Horvat.

Sure as hell would cost less than Franson, who we aren't getting for $5M by the way.

So let's say Franson signs for $5m and Hoff signs for $4m...a $1m difference and you get a way better all around player in Franson who makes a difference even if he isn't scoring whereas Hoff goes invisible if he isn't like his past year in Pittsburgh. And btw stop living in the past lol. Hoff is a distant memory. And did you not read the OP? JB says he wants a new young core. Hoff is anything but young and looking at JBs track record, he's never had a Hoff type player really and he wouldn't start now going back on his own word.

Bartowski is an average sized, average skilled defenseman who brings nothing more than what Corrado, Clendening, or Stanton bring already.

Bartkowski excels at nothing. A 27 year old blueliner destined for a career in the AHL. Rather have real youth than Shartowski.

He is a huge waste of $3 M per year. If Benning signs him, I'll know for a fact that Trader Jim is mentally deficient.

Archived