The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Don Sweenying Vancouver

Disclaimer: This is a totally hypothetical situation, will never come true.

After seeing the moves Don Sweeney pulled off in the past three days I wondered if a rebuild on the fly would work. One year without the playoffs and you set yourselves up for a good 5 years of success.

Trade 1: Higgins to a Playoff Team for a 2nd and a 3rd

A team like the Rangers, Penguins, and Lightning could use a player of Higgins versatility. He can be a solid 3rd liner and fill in for an injured second liner

Trade 2: Hansen for a 3rd Rounder (Deadline)

A great penalty killer, Hansen can be useful to many teams as a 3rd/4th line RW. At the deadline, Canucks could easily get a third round pick and maybe a second rounder if a team is desperate enough. 3rd rounder most likely.

Trade 3: Vancouver Pittsburgh (deadline)

Vancouver Recieves: 1st Round Pick and 2nd Round Pick

Pittsburgh Recieves: Vrbata (1 Million Retained)

Retaining cap would give Pittsburgh incentive to deal the 2nd. They need wingers for Crosby and Malkin and Vrbata can be that sniper Crosby never had.

Signings:

Irwin at 2M for 2 Years

Santo at 2M for 1 Year

Baertshi at 1.5M for 2 Years

Grenier at 1M for 2 years

Corrado at 1.75M for 1 Year

Clendening at 1.75M for 1 Year

We'd be 1.2 Million under the Cap

Lineup at the deadline (Full Tank Pretty Much)

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertshi-Bonino-Burrows

Vey-Horvat-Santorelli

Kenins-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier-Jensen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Irvin-Corrado

Clendening

Miller

Markstrom

yes who is that and this will never happens,maybe deadline higgins,vrbata,burrows and hamhuis traded but doubt unless theres a trade for anyone that we will sign any free agents less they are to be 7th D man or for the minors as we have every spot filled as of now!

A 1st and a 2nd for Vrbata at the deadline....because he's such an unstoppable playoff dynamo.

I was on the "Vrbata was the best UFA signing of summer 2014" bandwagon...then the playoffs started and ended. Now I'm like, get rid of all the guys who go into hiding during the playoffs, starting with Vrbata.

Why not trade the Sedins and Hamhuis if we are Tanking aswell??

Sedins 2 mill each retained to Anaheim for Theodore, Ritchie, Larsson, Nattinen, 1st and 3rd rd picks.

4 options for Hamhuis at the deadline depending where teams are in standings at the time

Hamhuis to Dallas for Honka and a 3rd.

Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for Kapenen and 2nd.

Hamhuis to Washington for Bowey Straight up or Jakub Vrana and 3rd rd pick.

Hamhuis to Colorado for Bigras and a 3rd.

Why not trade the Sedins and Hamhuis if we are Tanking aswell??

Sedins 2 mill each retained to Anaheim for Theodore, Ritchie, Larsson, Nattinen, 1st and 3rd rd picks.

4 options for Hamhuis at the deadline depending where teams are in standings at the time

Hamhuis to Dallas for Honka and a 3rd.

Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for Kapenen and 2nd.

Hamhuis to Washington for Bowey Straight up or Jakub Vrana and 3rd rd pick.

Hamhuis to Colorado for Bigras and a 3rd.

We won't trade the Sedins but Hamhuis could fetch a decent package.

Disclaimer: This is a totally hypothetical situation, will never come true.

After seeing the moves Don Sweeney pulled off in the past three days I wondered if a rebuild on the fly would work. One year without the playoffs and you set yourselves up for a good 5 years of success.

Trade 1: Higgins to a Playoff Team for a 2nd and a 3rd

A team like the Rangers, Penguins, and Lightning could use a player of Higgins versatility. He can be a solid 3rd liner and fill in for an injured second liner

Trade 2: Hansen for a 3rd Rounder (Deadline)

A great penalty killer, Hansen can be useful to many teams as a 3rd/4th line RW. At the deadline, Canucks could easily get a third round pick and maybe a second rounder if a team is desperate enough. 3rd rounder most likely.

Trade 3: Vancouver Pittsburgh (deadline)

Vancouver Recieves: 1st Round Pick and 2nd Round Pick

Pittsburgh Recieves: Vrbata (1 Million Retained)

Retaining cap would give Pittsburgh incentive to deal the 2nd. They need wingers for Crosby and Malkin and Vrbata can be that sniper Crosby never had.

Signings:

Irwin at 2M for 2 Years

Santo at 2M for 1 Year

Baertshi at 1.5M for 2 Years

Grenier at 1M for 2 years

Corrado at 1.75M for 1 Year

Clendening at 1.75M for 1 Year

We'd be 1.2 Million under the Cap

Lineup at the deadline (Full Tank Pretty Much)

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertshi-Bonino-Burrows

Vey-Horvat-Santorelli

Kenins-Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier-Jensen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Irvin-Corrado

Clendening

Miller

Markstrom

I thought this article was about how Sweeny messed with Vancouver's progression by surrounding its shores with ex-Bruins in Calgary with Hamilton, Los Angele with Lucic and San Jose with Jones...

The difference is that Sweeney was able to get in effect 6 first round picks for 2 players in Lucic and Hamilton. You are proposing 2nd and 3rd rounders, which is not the same impact as what Sweeney has done. Only time guys like higgins will have some value is at the trade deadline, but I dont see Benning moving him. I also doubt we could even get a 2nd rounder for any of these guys.

I'd do those deals easily. It sure seems to be the fair asking price around the league for vets on expiring contracts (Legwand, Clowe), plus they'd jump-start the re-tool quite nicely. What's even better is that the are, in fact, replacements ready to take on the vets' roles for a fraction of the price, plus we get assets for the future while not sacrificing the present too much (aside from Vrbata, we'd lose quite a bit there but the team can still surprise).

The difference is that Sweeney was able to get in effect 6 first round picks for 2 players in Lucic and Hamilton. You are proposing 2nd and 3rd rounders, which is not the same impact as what Sweeney has done. Only time guys like higgins will have some value is at the trade deadline, but I dont see Benning moving him. I also doubt we could even get a 2nd rounder for any of these guys.

LOL be real. Higgins and Hansen won't net 1st rounders, unless their buyers are DESPERATE. They're not even in the same league as Hamilton or Lucic.

Archived