The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Yannick Weber

Overstated.

He fills his role well. As a $1.5 mil guy all he needs to do is add insurance.

Anything more is a bonus.

The 1.5 mil is solid,but Willie will probably put him in a more prominent top four role now that Bieksa is gone.

He's great as a bottom pairing guy but is in over his head when higher than that.

Damn. Guy just can't play defense.

Exactly.

Makes a few good plays offensively but then makes bone headed mistakes and pretty weak in his own zone.

With him and Clendenning playing they're going to give Miller fits cost us tonnes of goals against meanwhile a top Stanley Cup contender adds Kevin Bieksa for 2 years and 4 million per year.

Foolish move giving Bieksa away.

Doesn't really matter when he lets in more goals than he scores.

He was a +4 on the season which means he produced more goals than let in... He also was our only PP point producing d-man which don't count to the +/- totals.

Essentially he becomes our insurance in case Corrado / Clendenning can't play regular minutes.

I'm okay with the signing. I think perhaps Weber was used in a role too big for himself last year, but if they restrict his minutes a bit and mainly use him on the power play then I'm fine with it. You don't really know what to expect from Corrado or Clendening since they haven't played a whole season, so Weber is a bit of insurance for that limited role (and they know how he's capable of performing in the NHL).

Archived