The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Yannick Weber

I can't understand all the complaining about this. It's 1.5 million for a guy who is in the top 25 in the league for most goals by a defence. He's not old he's 26 (turning 27). People complain about this yet then they complain how the canucks shouldn't have traded Garrison. A guy who gets paid a 4.6 cap hit, to do the same thing (use his shot and score) and only got 4 goals.

Good deal & only 1 year...anyone who thinks Weber isn't worth 1.5M is out to lunch, and for all those worried about playing time for the young guys? Injuries, injuries, injuries, cuz' when was the last time the Canuck D didn't take a beating during the regular season?

Added bonus, if Weber performs well during the season then he can be flipped for picks at the deadline to a Cup contender looking for a bit more offence on the D.

If we are going to sign a D, then get a half decent one for a little more money and stop wasting cap space and a roster spots on plugs like this guy.

Getting bounced around by the lowly Flames in the playoffs and inaffective on the PP. Let one of the young guys play and get rid of this guy.

We didn't sign him to be a top 2 guy. He's a bottom pairing D that put up 11 goals. IF he was also a shutdown D he'd be making 5+. He's making 1.5 and a top 25 defence goal scorer. Don't really know how anyone could argue this deal.

We have 2 young guys. now we have 7 D signed. Guessing this team won't have any injuries? right?

Is this teams supposed to be going into the season with 6 D.

Corrado and Clendening will be getting 60+ games even if we sign another D.

Seriously what a bunch of whining babies this fan base is. Cry about everything even if it makes sense.

We didn't sign him to be a top 2 guy. He's a bottom pairing D that put up 11 goals. IF he was also a shutdown D he'd be making 5+. He's making 1.5 and a top 25 defence goal scorer. Don't really know how anyone could argue this deal.

We have 2 young guys. now we have 7 D signed. Guessing this team won't have any injuries? right?

Is this teams supposed to be going into the season with 6 D.

Corrado and Clendening will be getting 60+ games even if we sign another D.

Seriously what a bunch of whining babies this fan base is. Cry about everything even if it makes sense.

If you dont see the glaring problems with our D core then I cant help you buddy. Keep telling yourself its OK to have mediocrity on this team.

Why are you expecting so much for a number 6-7 defenceman?

I would like to see them cut the fat so to speak and have quality over quantity. Spend good money on a couple of top Dmen and fill the other positions with rookies who need NHL experience. Its not rocket science.

If you dont see the glaring problems with our D core then I cant help you buddy. Keep telling yourself its OK to have mediocrity on this team.

Sure there is holes in our D core but what are you expecting, Canucks to go all out and sign mike Green for long term?

Seriously, this year isn't about winning the cup, it's about being competitive and building for the future. A player like weber signed for a cheap 1 year deal, helps that. He's a great stop gap for Corrado and Clendening and lets us ease then into the line up. Without throwing them to the wolves and watching their confidence slip. This was a good signing.

If you don't see that, then no one can help you.

I would like to see them cut the fat so to speak and have quality over quantity. Spend good money on a couple of top Dmen and fill the other positions with rookies who need NHL experience. Its not rocket science.

Corrado and Clendening will be on the team next year and they will get a shot. Don't worry about them.

Sure there is holes in our D core but what are you expecting, Canucks to go all out and sign mike Green for long term?

Seriously, this year isn't about winning the cup, it's about being competitive and building for the future. A player like weber signed for a cheap 1 year deal, helps that. He's a great stop gap for Corrado and Clendening and lets us ease then into the line up. Without throwing them to the wolves and watching their confidence slip. This was a good signing.

If you don't see that, then no one can help you.

Do we need to Suck like Edmomton in order for people like you to feel better. I am sorry but they are there to entertain us and Weber does not fill that bill at all. I would rather see rookies struggle and have deficiencies as they learn the NHL game then to watch Weber who does not have too much more of an upside then what we have seen to date. Sign a good dman as a stop gap until our young guys get better and stop wasting cap space and roster space on the likes of Weber.

Archived