The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Phil Kessel to Penguins

And we got next to nothing for Luongo.

Luongo was contracted until he was 47 or something, Kessel contracted until he is 34... Bit more bearable.

Goalies are tough trades too

Who could we have given up for Kessel?

Shinkaruk + Clendening/Corrado + Higgins + 1st and 2nd?

Bleh don't think Phil would survive in the Western Conference lol. But that's probably a comparable package

It's an offensive improvement on an offense that really was lousy last year but I don't think the Penguins are anymore threatening than they have been in years past. Pitts has literally had the #1 goal scoring offensive in the NHL multiple years in the past but it didn't matter as that was all they really had going for them. That shaky shallow defense also looks even more shallow now with no Ehrhoff and Martin.

Crosby to Kessel sounds nice but I don't see them making a legit cup run personally.

Jeebus - I thought Murray was making a case for the worst and dumbest GM in the NHL.

Rutherford is giving him a run for his money.

Something you will very rarely here from me - nice move by the Leafs.

If indeed it is Kapanen, Harrington, Spaling and a pair of picks, that is a downright fleecing of Pitt and far more than anyone should have paid for Kessel under the circumstances, even with the 1.2 millon retained (that is small fish compared to the haul of assets the Leafs landed.

They picked the right target. Every GM is gong to be looking to pick Rutherford's pockets after his last few moves.

Jeebus - I thought Murray was making a case for the worst and dumbest GM in the NHL.

If indeed it is Kapanen, Harrington, Spaling and a pair of picks, that is a downright fleecing of Pitt and far more than anyone should have paid for Kessel under the circumstances, even with the 1.2 millon retained (that is small fish compared to the haul of assets the Leafs landed.

They picked the right target. Every GM is gong to be looking to pick Rutherford's pockets after his last few moves.

And why haven't we? Olli Maata still available, right? Do they want Vrbata to play on the other side of Malkin??

Haha I could not disagree more. IMO the Penguins easily won this trade.

They gave up nothing that is really that great. Kapanen had a pretty bad year this year. Harrington is good, but nothing special. Spaling is overpaid and nothing more than a 3rd liner. That 1st round pick is the only thing that kinda hurts the Pens. That 3rd they gave up isn't a big deal as they had three 3rd round picks coming up and they get a 2nd back so no biggie. They get the Leafs to retain salary on Kessel which is huge. Kessel is pretty damn underrated. He'll probably get 80 points playing with Crosby.

Win Penguins. IMO.

EDIT: And wait are you talking about Tim Murray? The guy who basically turned the Sabres into a borderline playoff team in one day? What?

Tim? Or?

Why do you say that? Just curious

Martin gone.

Ehrhoff gone,

Dealt Depres in an absolutely horrible, head scratcher of a deal.

Gave up Harrington, a good prospect, in this deal.

Have 2.75 million in cap, only 10 forwards signed, no backup signed and 6 D, a couple of them youngsters,

Same old Penguins.

They managed to keep maata and pouliot which is a huge win for them. I like this deal a lot for the pens. Kessel almost scored 40 with Tyler freaking bozak and crosby now gets to play with his first elite winger. Sure Kessel failed as a leader and focal point of the leafs but he'll be a complementary player in pitts without the pressure of the Toronto media and fans.

Haha I could not disagree more. IMO the Penguins easily won this trade.

They gave up nothing that is really that great. Kapanen had a pretty bad year this year. Harrington is good, but nothing special. Spaling is overpaid and nothing more than a 3rd liner. That 1st round pick is the only thing that kinda hurts the Pens. That 3rd they gave up isn't a big deal as they had three 3rd round picks coming up and they get a 2nd back so no biggie. They get the Leafs to retain salary on Kessel which is huge. Kessel is pretty damn underrated. He'll probably get 80 points playing with Crosby.

Win Penguins. IMO.

Think it's too early for that, Penguins need to make a ton more deals, they have 6-8 players to sign and 4.7m left to sign them... so yeah I'm going to reserve the judgement until I see how their lineup shakes down.

To Pittsburgh: Kessel (@ $1.25 retained) Biggs, Erixon and a 2nd round pick

To Toronto: Kapanen, Spaling, Harrington, 1st and 3rd round pick.

Pittsburgh comes out on top to me

Important facts that TSN appeared to skim over.

To Pittsburgh: Kessel (@ $1.25 retained) Biggs, Erixon and a 2nd round pick

To Toronto: Kapanen, Spaling, Harrington, 1st and 3rd round pick.

Pittsburgh comes out on top to me

Wow did not realize Toronto gave up a 2nd. Going to be a high 2nd too. Gotta give up something to cap dump I guess ..

They managed to keep maata and pouliot which is a huge win for them. I like this deal a lot for the pens. Kessel almost scored 40 with Tyler freaking bozak and crosby now gets to play with his first elite winger. Sure Kessel failed as a leader and focal point of the leafs but he'll be a complementary player in pitts without the pressure of the Toronto media and fans.

I simply can't imagine anyone giving up assets like that in a Kessel deal.

What looked like a steal for Toronto is tempered imo by the fact they sent back three other pieces, including a 2nd.

Regardless, I don't like the deal for Pittsburgh. They are a team that is perenially porous in the playoffs, and they just added one of the leagues premier floaters to an already front heavy team. I have little regard for their concept of team building.

Archived