The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Phil Kessel to Penguins

that doesn't mean a bloody thing tbh.

and wadr, what do you know about who'll be available late in next year's draft?

is anyone surprised that they're rebuilding?

This is what you do - dump over-rated, overpaid assets for futures.

Not a whole lot, but I've seen a few reports suggesting that '16 and '17 drafts are nowhere near as good as '15.

YES. THIS IS BAD FOR BOTH TEAMS

I don't know, I think Toronto could have won this one.

Pittsburgh'll be in cap h311 for the foreseeable future and so top-heavy and bare in the cupboard that they'll probably need to rebuild big-time in a couple of years, while the Leafs get exactly what they want and need for a rebuild (couple of blue-chippers in Kapanen and Harrington, good young 3rd line defensive winger in Spaling, plus couple more picks to speed up the rebuild). Biggs is a declining asset (relegated to ECHL duty recently), and Tim Erixon was a waiver pickup that cost the Leafs nothing.

I honestly think Pittsburgh did very well to pick up the Thrill without giving up more than a few late 1sts and Harrington, who I heard projects as a 4-5. Especially since they got Toronto to eat 1.2 mil.

Kessel could be awesome next year in a new environment and we know he can put up points even when he's miserable. In the playoffs, too.

Time will tell but on the face of it, this isn't a good deal for the Pens. They could have gotten better value for other forwards out there at much cheaper prices than Kessel. Jeff Skinner, TJ Oshie, Kyle Okposo, Kassian...

The Penguins just ripped the Leafs.

Toronto retains salary, received a bottom six forward in Spaling, a projected 3rd pairing/depth dman in Harrington, and a hyped prospect that is your prototypical boom or bust pick.

Pittsburgh has too much salary invested in 5 players, doubt it'll work. That team needs depth badly.

This looked like a very good deal for Toronto...until the fact came out that they added 3 pieces on top of Kessel (and ate salary)...

Pitts 1st for Tor 2nd is just a late 1st for high 2nd trade down....so they added a 3rd and some spots in the draft in terms of picks

Great deal for Toronto in my opinion. If Pittsburgh just makes it into the playoffs that first could be in the 18 range. Not to mention getting rid of Kessel. With holding cap might sting a little, especially with how long he'll be on the books. But I guess 6mil cap space and a slew of prospects/picks is worth it.

Archived