The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we in full rebuild. Or just clueless?

nitti999

The reason there appears to be no plan at the moment is because it has yet to transpire. Once it happens, you'll be 'Ah, so. THAT was the plan.' And if it doesn't happen then, it is because the plan is still in the works, and you should be patient. But if when it happens and it looks bad, it is because of circumstances out of the team's control and you should not use hindsight to criticize. This will be how it is here forever, since this has been how it has been here forever.

But don't worry. Once the plan transpires and it is good, then you will all be happy. Or maybe not. As fans in Vancouver, you are hard to please. It's making it difficult to maintain a steady stream of max revenue. I suggest you relax, have another beer, and enjoy the exciting games and seasons that are taking place in this market.

The Canucks must do the following by the 2016 summer:

-Trade all of these expiring contracts for HIGH draft picks, although that now looks tough because Benning keeps getting ripped off in deals.

-Ensure that young prospects get lineup spots. Hard to do since the coach is so loyal to veterans and Medicine Hat alumni

-With the cap space, you can sign an impact FA Defencemen. Bartkowski is not that guy.

If these do not happen, you can pretty much assure that this management group has no clue when it comes to hockey. Do not give me the baloney of "they must be smart, they work in the NHL" because fans who watch hockey 24/7 can be just as knowledgeable and are not taken for fools. Just ask the folks in Montreal, they react to every play and transaction and know when they are getting screwed.

The clock is ticking for me, 2016 is the final year where I will decide whether to support this loser franchise anymore.

Blowing it all up doesn't work. You have to bring young players into a winning environment.

Benning right now is chasing character, hard-working players. Getting rid of Kassian confirms this.

Getting rid of Kassian is not a smart move...

Trading Kassian for an asset that will help the Canucks for many years is a smart move.

Prust will be claimed on waivers in a year; if he is lucky. This does not help the Canucks future.

Prust is like Tanner Glass...he is a plumber...bring back the plumbers...not a good move.

JB has lost me.

Since when did Bieksa have a bad attitude? Show us where you came up with that one. No one knows that Hamhuis and Vrbata will be gone next year. They might get traded but that is not a sure thing.

As far as rebuilding...yes some of the moves appear that the Canucks are closer to a rebuild than they are to retooling....surprise surprise.

He has a poor attitude. Just because you don't see it in 15 second interviews on tv, doesn't mean he doesn't. granted I haven't been on here much in the past couple years, but theres more than a few people around here who are aware that I do have moderate knowledge of what goes on with the team on an off ice level.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are both gone after next year. Either thru trades, or UFA. We are cap tight NOW. Imagine when we have to re-sign some younger guys soon... we aren't going to thru around 3-6M a yr on those two again when its clear this team is on the way down. Its just common sense. Vrbata will either want to 1- go to a contender or 2- get paid for his value. Neither the 1st nor the 2nd is something the Canucks can do. Hamhuis COULD stay for a hometown discount situation...but I feel he wants to win now, not 4 yrs from now.

The Canucks must do the following by the 2016 summer:

-Trade all of these expiring contracts for HIGH draft picks, although that now looks tough because Benning keeps getting ripped off in deals.

-Ensure that young prospects get lineup spots. Hard to do since the coach is so loyal to veterans and Medicine Hat alumni

-With the cap space, you can sign an impact FA Defencemen. Bartkowski is not that guy.

If these do not happen, you can pretty much assure that this management group has no clue when it comes to hockey. Do not give me the baloney of "they must be smart, they work in the NHL" because fans who watch hockey 24/7 can be just as knowledgeable and are not taken for fools. Just ask the folks in Montreal, they react to every play and transaction and know when they are getting screwed.

The clock is ticking for me, 2016 is the final year where I will decide whether to support this loser franchise anymore.

So what FA impact dman are you speaking of? When the alarm goes off, don't trip on the doorjam on your way out.

what did kassian really do for this team anyway??? did he score a big playoff goal for us?? NOT !!! did he set up a lot of nice plays??? NOT !!! did he try and fill the role the team asked him to??? NOT !! so, what did kassian really do for us ??? he got us prust. which is way better than nothing for a player like kassian who just can't quite come up with the huge effort. benning was asked: "what did dorsett think of the trade?" benning replied: "derek thanked me." that says a lot.

So what FA impact dman are you speaking of? When the alarm goes off, don't trip on the doorjam on your way out.

Check out this list of 2016 UFA D-men next year, led by Seabrook and Dusty, unless you do not think they are impact D-men, you must be one of those Sbisa and Edler fanboys:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=D

We will most likely sign none of these top guys, even with 16 mill in potential cap room next year...instead I think the Canucks will extend Weber for 4 yr/16 million, and give Sbisa top pairing minutes. Way to build a winner!

I don't see how these things aren't so black and white obvious to people.

Lack isn't the type of goalie you build a team around. Miller was brought into when the team DIDN'T have a number 1 goalie, Lack had not proven anything at that point to warrant the job.

They are CLEARLY making moves to allow pieces to be more easily moved out if one of the younger players is ready to take over somebodys job.

You can't ice a team of 18 year olds either, as so many of you should know with how Edmonton have been doing the past few years. You need the right foundation for your prospects to get accustomed to the pressures and workload of being an NHL player. You need some veterans and I am very confident in the leadership group that will surround these guys coming up from Utica. Prust will be a big part of that just like Dorsett. Consumate professionals that fight for every inch of the ice on a nighly basis. I have atleast not forgotten about how important it is to allow your prospects to develop fully and be mentally prepared for the NHL before you just throw them in. It works for some but it is not a rare ocassion that players have entered the league too early, been like deers staring into the headlights and have never reached their full potential. I support the Detroit approach 7/7 days a week 365 days a year than the Edmonton let's hope these teenagers get us into the playoffs approach that they have been doing.

Kassian doesn't deserve anymore chances. Not with the play on ice, not with his off ice issues. He let the management and leaders of this team down continously and was given more than a few chances to succeed.

The team needs to have some players available for next year but I fully expect a lot of movement around the deadline and draft if the team fails to reach the playoffs and the full "blow up" will happen. It's just not time yet.

Wait and see what we have in the players here and the ones that have been brought in before these judgements are made.

I am a happy chappy right now, and that says a lot with the bleak outlook of our team with our ageing core and the unavoidable rebuild that will happen. I am fully confident in the management group as well.

Edit: No prospect should be entitled to an automatic spot on a roster. A roster spot is given to players that deserve it and work their butt off for it. Bo was given a chance to take a spot and he did it by earning the trust of his coach and look at what that got him this past year. I don't want to see our prospects feel entitled to things or being rushed into this league when they are not ready. With signing players and trading for high character guys, Benning is ensuring that when they are ready, they are insulated by great people to make that transition quicker and with a higher chance at being successful. People look at Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, Carolina in some kind off envy because they are picking in the top 5 in the drafts.. they have stunk for so many years with that recipe. Benning is building this team the smart way. A bunch of 18 year olds don't win you a cup, but if those 18 year olds are allowed to develop, enter a situation with solid leadership around them, not have all the pressure to produce, they will have a higher chance of succeeding and not "busting". Benning is allowing for these chances to be provided with the moves he has made. Are people forgetting that Corrado and Clendening will be competing for spots with Bartkowski, Weber, and Sbisa next year? With the way some of you speak about those three players, those are clearly spots there for the taking IF Corrado and Clendening earn them. Give your freaking heads a shake. You wanted change, you wanted youth, well here it is coming for you. Also, the trades that have happened have all been fair. Don't you think other teams would have offered more for Kassian if anyone actually wanted him? I am sure if someone was offering a 2nd round pick and a prospect Benning would have taken that deal........... WAKE UP!!!!

what did kassian really do for this team anyway??? did he score a big playoff goal for us?? NOT !!! did he set up a lot of nice plays??? NOT !!! did he try and fill the role the team asked him to??? NOT !! so, what did kassian really do for us ??? he got us prust. which is way better than nothing for a player like kassian who just can't quite come up with the huge effort. benning was asked: "what did dorsett think of the trade?" benning replied: "derek thanked me." that says a lot.

This also says a lot about Willie being a supposed players coach, or how we have so much leadership in the dressing room that we couldn't corral one bad apple in kass and make him a pro?

He was injured during the Calgary series, I have a hard time believing he would not have made a difference, since the ONLY player to actually fight was Juice LOL what a disgrace.

Canucks are all about leadership and growth, yea right, more like softness and charity work. I guess thats why the Hawks always made fun of us, bunch of chumps who get intimidated by teenagers. This team has no swagger, confidence or intimidation factor, which is why we will always be bullied out of the playoffs. At least Kass had some of that in him.

I truly believe that the kassian move is to prepare for flipping prust at trade deadline for picks. Kassian is not movable at deadline, while character guys like prust will be wanted in playoff as "the missing piece" for 4th line. In a way, I think Benning is preparing for the firesale in deadline by shoring up what he thinks other team would want by trade deadline.

I can see higgins, hamhuis, and vrbata joining that firesale list, maybe hansen and burrows as well.

I truly believe that the kassian move is to prepare for flipping prust at trade deadline for picks. Kassian is not movable at deadline, while character guys like prust will be wanted in playoff as "the missing piece" for 4th line. In a way, I think Benning is preparing for the firesale in deadline by shoring up what he thinks other team would want by trade deadline.

I can see higgins, hamhuis, and vrbata joining that firesale list, maybe hansen and burrows as well.

If we tank they better sell vrbata to the highest bidder if they have half a brain.

As of right now the evidence points to clueless. Cleaning up gillis mess is an excuse for people who don't want to accept he has made zero trades that he won. His signing are average at best. I can't remember a GM that gets fleeced as much as benning has over the coarse of ONE season. Ouch. Yeah clueless

What is with this obsession with winning trades!!! A GM job is not to win trade but to do trades that make sense. Other team's GMs are not stupid who will get fooled by sweet talking. You don't always win trade and in the off chance you do, it is usually something unexpected that happens. You could only judge if a trade based on how well it accomplishes the goal a GM set out to do.

It is a rebuild. Management is just afraid to use that word.

Haha maybe. Maybe JB and TL are in full realization that this team is in need of a rebuild but are trying to sweep that from under the nose of Aquillini to look competitive.

Year 1: Trade Garrison

Year 2: Trade Bieksa

Year 3: ???

Year 4: Stanley Cup.

According to Sportsnet....we are a loser....

LOSER: Vancouver Canucks

Nothing good has really happened this off-season except for drafting Brock Boeser. Dealing Zack Kassian was just admitting a mistake. Still stuck in mushy middle.

Sigh, we got rid of Hodgson because he was a problem. We got rid of Kassian because he wasn't doing the things his coaches and development.
Mistake hardly... Sportsnet is terrible.

Haha maybe. Maybe JB and TL are in full realization that this team is in need of a rebuild but are trying to sweep that from under the nose of Aquillini to look competitive.

Year 1: Trade Garrison

Year 2: Trade Bieksa

Year 3: ???

Year 4: Stanley Cup.

I think that is there plan all along. On the surface to make this a competitive team but secretly setting up the environment for us to suck to a top ten pick.

Explains all the one year deals he signed today as well. If he plays his cards right, our rebuild will only cost us one or two years of really sucking.

Archived