The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why All the Negativity?

vladimirpuck

The roster looks pretty good right now, but I still hear all this negative talk about how this team is going to suck, how this team will pick first, how we are going to get crushed, etc. I don't get it. Why all the negativity? I just don't see how this team is worse than last year's team. Can someone please enlighten me?

The roster looks pretty good right now, but I still hear all this negative talk about how this team is going to suck, how this team will pick first, how we are going to get crushed, etc. I don't get it. Why all the negativity? I just don't see how this team is worse than last year's team. Can someone please enlighten me?

It's CDC.

Our team is about the same but our competition improved a lot thus all the negativity. Not saying it is completely justified but I will not be surprised if we are near the bottom of the pacific.

Simple ignorance. Little perspective when it comes to time

So much complacency. Some trades have been hard to swallow but I believe Benning has solid master plan for the youth which could be great in a few years time (Virtanen, McCann, shinkaruk, subban, gaunce, boeser).

I'd sure be stoked to see Kenins, Prust and Virtanen play on the 4th line together.

People here want to somehow patch this in the short term with aging offensive solutions, rather than wait for the teams to nurture a future crop of skilled assets.

After a decade of, essentially, the same old Vancouver Canucks, I am looking forward to watching the next generation of talent progress through our system.

I like the direction. I can see what is forming. I've always liked Prust. He possesses the right character to be a mentor as a pro.

Before you say our roster looks pretty good, take a look at what most of the teams in West, and especially in the Pacific Division did.

But that's not the reason for the negativity. It's the feeling that we moved some assets that we should have received more in return for, or that we received assets that seem to go against the getting younger and faster plan.

I mean, the Flyers traded Zac Freaking Rinaldo to the Bruins for a third round pick. We trade a legitimate starting goalie for a third rounder and a 24 year old power forward in the making for a 31 year old 4th liner.

Just can't shake the feeling that our GM was abused by his fellow GM's.

Because we were a cup contender and Gillis did NOTHING after the Cup loss to get us over the hump in the 2011-2012 season. Then MG screwed up more cause Luongo and Kesler to leave.

And NOW we are a top 10 pick in next years draft. Bookk Itttt

Before you say our roster looks pretty good, take a look at what most of the teams in West, and especially in the Pacific Division did.

But that's not the reason for the negativity. It's the feeling that we moved some assets that we should have received more in return for, or that we received assets that seem to go against the getting younger and faster plan.

I mean, the Flyers traded Zac Freaking Rinaldo to the Bruins for a third round pick. We trade a legitimate starting goalie for a third rounder and a 24 year old power forward in the making for a 31 year old 4th liner.

Just can't shake the feeling that our GM was abused by his fellow GM's.

Really? Eddie definitely has the potential but he is not ready to be a starter yet. Kass I doubt he will ever be a power forward. He was good in spurts and last season he looked good paired with the twins but the twins can make anyone look good.

there's two main camps:

- those who want to win now... are pissed off that by trading Lack, Bieksa and Kassian for Prust and futures that we're not competitive esp after the Flames, Kings and Oilers upgraded their teams.

- those who want a scorched earth rebuild in hope of drafting the next Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook. They think we haven't done enough to trade vets like Sedins, Burrows, Higgins and Miller.

So both camps are pissed off. I'm of the camp where I don't want a culture where you take one guy and give them a sense of entitlement and/or unfairly put the pressure on them ie: Hodgson, Kassian, Kessel, Kadri, Taylor Hall, etc.

Also I see the big picture where we have tons of cap space next year. If we tank, we can always sell our pending UFA's for futures plus acquire better players at next year's offseason. If we compete, hopefully it means that young guys like Baertschi, Horvat, Clendening, Corrado, and Markstrom took it to another level or at least have a measuring stick to improve their game. For those who like the spoiled, entitled players, I hate to break it but those days are gone. We have a pool of young players coming in who will be upgrades on our stale core and it's not going to stop.

People here want to somehow patch this in the short term with aging offensive solutions, rather than wait for the teams to nurture a future crop of skilled assets.

After a decade of, essentially, the same old Vancouver Canucks, I am looking forward to watching the next generation of talent progress through our system.

I like the direction. I can see what is forming. I've always liked Prust. He possesses the right character to be a mentor as a pro.

I think what's happening is the right direction for this team too. I think we have the best group of prospects in the NHL. Prust is what this team was missing in the playoffs.

The main thing was us getting ripped off for kassian and trading him when his value was at an all time low when it was garunteed to go up by the end of this season. He was lighting it up before he got injured and he deserved one more year to finally show us what he had. If we were still talking about his "potential" next year I would have been the first to say trade him but we pretty much let him go at the moment that we would get the least back for him for no reason.

Archived