The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why All the Negativity?

vladimirpuck

Well I would say we are worse off...? Not end of the world, and I'm interested to see how we go next year. Our Defense will be thin, losing secondary scoring in Matthias (someone will need to step up) and well, the team is older. You never know if these guys can keep producing like we want them too. If the Sedins/Vrbata struggle, Our whole team is going to struggle...

Not to mention other teams in the pacific are much better. I honestly think as of right now, Edmonton has a better line up than us...So its concerning if we want the 8th spot... Then again is our roster good enough to even make it to the cup final? Compared to Tampa and Chicago's teams...no way.

Did this team try to trade Matthias in February while his value was at an all time high or have they let him go for nothing when they probably could have managed a 2nd or 3rd for him mid-season?

So we kept him for the 'playoff run' and how did that work out?

I don't think they know how to get the most out of what they've got, and that is called management.

If we did trade him you'd probably be the first to freak out. Imagine you work so hard going to a playoff run then your GM sends the message that he's going to make the team worse. What message would that send to Horvat, Kenins, etc? That your GM doesn't believe in you?

Also if Benning really is bad at getting fair return then be glad we didn't trade Matthias. Realistically Matthias doesn't have high value. He is not even one of the top free agents in this weak free agent year.

In the long run, the plan is bring in young guys, then move vets once they become redundant and by having a net savings on cap space, use that flexibility to upgrade via free agency or trade. That will probably be most available by the 2016-17 season and it should be a sustainable model. One missed trade of a Matthias here or an extra round in a draft there for Lack isn't going to matter in the long run. What matters more is that Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Vey, Corrado, Clendening, etc. develop and become upgrades on the core... and if they aren't then the next batch of McCann, Cassels, Boeser, Brisebois, etc. will try. The days of solely relying on only one young guy per year being a fringe player at best (ie: Kassian, Schroeder) are over. This core is going to be flipped for value in the coming years.

This team was good enough to at least beat Calgary in the playoffs last season. They should have, but for some reason they didn't.

So the Canucks had to fix some things to advance farther into the playoffs.

1. Bieksa had to go because he was the guy who said Ferland would be irrelevant and that sparked Ferland to dominate us. Sure, Ferland was wiped off the map in his first meeting with Anaheim the series after, but Bieksa should have just kept quiet. Good-bye.

In comes Matt Bartkowski who Benning says is real good, and he is a ton cheaper and years younger. Sure he might appear to have no skill, but that will change once he starts playing with the skilled players he has to work with here as opposed to Boston.

2. Kassian was a complete non-factor in the playoffs, he quit on the team and was a real piece of work all the time he was here. He should have been traded last deadline, but the team wanted all men onboard for the playoff run.

In comes Brandon Prust, warrior. Instant team-first upgrade that we should not overlook. He's not scared to do what it takes to win games. Sure, again it might appear that he has no skill, and he is older, but he'll quickly become a fan favorite here like Dorsett did and Kassian will be long forgotten about, no matter what he does after his back gets better.

3. Lack was a sieve in the playoffs. There is absolutely no doubt about it. So he had to go, no matter how much of a 'nice guy' he is.

In comes Markstrom, who just took the Comets to the finals. He CARRIED the Comets there, actually. He's fantastic. Sure, his NHL starts have been shaky at best, but this will change in the coming season with the younger defense.

4. Shawn Matthias had to go. He was utterly useless in the playoffs. It was a catastrophe. He should have been traded at the last deadline, but again, Benning wanted all men onboard for the run.

In comes nobody. That means a spot is open for a young player to take. That young player, whoever it is, will be an upgrade on Shawn Matthias by default.

5. Brad Richardson also had to go. He was getting in the way of Linden Vey and other good young players.

6. Stanton was busting here and had to go. Corrado and Clendening, even Fedun, are better.

I am not sure why people are complaining about the moves that Benning did. He quietly improved the team a bit for the coming season, and they'll be good enough to contend for a playoff spot again. This is the goal since that's what the fans deserve.

So much complacency. Some trades have been hard to swallow but I believe Benning has solid master plan for the youth which could be great in a few years time (Virtanen, McCann, shinkaruk, subban, gaunce, boeser).

I'd sure be stoked to see Kenins, Prust and Virtanen play on the 4th line together.

Don't forget about Cassel's in that list, he will be an impact player

The roster looks pretty good right now, but I still hear all this negative talk about how this team is going to suck, how this team will pick first, how we are going to get crushed, etc. I don't get it. Why all the negativity? I just don't see how this team is worse than last year's team. Can someone please enlighten me?

I totally agree. I love what Benning has done thus far. Super happy with our draft. All of the trades he's made I'm in favor of. I certainly don't give a cat's meow what john in prince george thinks or Kevin in abbotsford thinks. He's clearly reshaping the team and will build a winner. If Dorsett's "thank you" to Jim Benning doesn't speak volumes already then I'm afraid the haters will never understand team concept. Go trader Jim Go.

If we did trade him you'd probably be the first to freak out. Imagine you work so hard going to a playoff run then your GM sends the message that he's going to make the team worse. What message would that send to Horvat, Kenins, etc? That your GM doesn't believe in you?

Also if Benning really is bad at getting fair return then be glad we didn't trade Matthias. Realistically Matthias doesn't have high value. He is not even one of the top free agents in this weak free agent year.

In the long run, the plan is bring in young guys, then move vets once they become redundant and by having a net savings on cap space, use that flexibility to upgrade via free agency or trade. That will probably be most available by the 2016-17 season and it should be a sustainable model. One missed trade of a Matthias here or an extra round in a draft there for Lack isn't going to matter in the long run. What matters more is that Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Vey, Corrado, Clendening, etc. develop and become upgrades on the core... and if they aren't then the next batch of McCann, Cassels, Boeser, Brisebois, etc. will try. The days of solely relying on only one young guy per year being a fringe player at best (ie: Kassian, Schroeder) are over. This core is going to be flipped for value in the coming years.

If we had moved Matthias when his value was so high I would have been the first to applaud. Thanks for the instant assumption I'll keep that in mind when I have to read another of your posts. Trading Matthias for a second rounder is NOT making the team worse, considering he was a FA!! Logic!

I get the same apprehensions as you when he gets ready to make a trade, but SOMETHING IN RETURN for HIGHER RELATIVE VALUE > NOTHING IN RETURN FOR NOTHING. Moving him out would also make room in theory for a young guy so we're really talking about the same thing.

I used this one instance as an example but the point I'm making is the same .. lack of preconceived intent throughout the moves this off-season (and the signings last season). Not really following a plan, and reacting like a headless chicken instead of being the ones dictating. Benning looks less like a guy in control and more like a victim or a mark.

You can't please everybody. For every trade or signing there will be positive and negative reaction. Canuck fans are an interesting bunch. Fickle and hard to please. We grow so attached to certain players, overvaluing them, thus causing uproar when these players are moved for anything less than a kings ransom. I'm a neutral fan. I refuse to rip management apart because it's July and we don't know what the team will look like in October. People are blowing this way out of proportion. Sure, the return for Kassian and Lack are questionable but do you honestly believe Benning wasn't trying his ass off to get the best deal he could? There simply wasn't a large market for either players thus the return.

We want change. We want a winner. It takes time to make it all happen. The real fans, like myself, will stick by the club through thick and thin. We may not agree with everything that happens but we refuse to quit on our team. It sickens me to see idiots on here, Facebook, etc jumping ship over a god damn trade. If you wanna stop cheering for the Canucks over a questionable trade be my guest. All it does is prove to the rest of the hockey world that Canuck fans are some of the worst in the NHL.

If we had moved Matthias when his value was so high I would have been the first to applaud. Thanks for the instant assumption I'll keep that in mind when I have to read another of your posts. Trading Matthias for a second rounder is NOT making the team worse, considering he was a FA!! Logic!

I get the same apprehensions as you when he gets ready to make a trade, but SOMETHING IN RETURN for HIGHER RELATIVE VALUE > NOTHING IN RETURN FOR NOTHING. Moving him out would also make room in theory for a young guy so we're really talking about the same thing.

I used this one instance as an example but the point I'm making is the same .. lack of preconceived intent throughout the moves this off-season (and the signings last season). Not really following a plan, and reacting like a headless chicken instead of being the ones dictating. Benning looks less like a guy in control and more like a victim or a mark.

No Benning is smarter than you, you're just not seeing what he's doing. So sad.

No Benning is smarter than you, you're just not seeing what he's doing. So sad.

You trog, do you think I'm the only one that sees no sense in what Benning's doing? So why don't you tell us all, what his plan is? Otherwise troll on, he is certainly smarter than YOU are given your post.

No other team fighting for a playoff spot sold their pending UFAs unless they had a replacement via another trade. Trading Matthias would have made the current lineup fighting for a playoff spot weaker. I highly doubt he'd fetch a 2nd rounder... he's not even a top free agent in a weak free agent market. In the long run I don't think this makes any difference. I think this year though, some of the pending UFAs will get traded esp if one of the young D take over Weber or Bartkowski's spots and if Virtanen makes the team and takes Prust's spot. I see the long game though... young players will come in and once they prove themselves to be upgrades, vets will be cashed out for value. The issue last year was we didn't have those young guys ready to replace Matthias. I was pleased to see Horvat take it up a notch and Baertschi get playoff experience... that was more valuable than the GM sending a message that the hard work to try to make the playoffs was for nothing and totally demotivate the team. If you want that we should bring back Torts.

Why bring back torts? The new regime is rebuilding a Torts style team aren't they? I disagree that trading a guy means sending a demotivating message to a team, it's the NHL and trades happen, it's a business and at the end of the day they are pros and that's part of the deal, that's why they make that kind of money. If someone is willing to pay you double for an item because they need it, perhaps because one of their C are injured, you take the deal. It's a risk assessment, no risk, no reward. In this case I feel it would have been a low risk high reward move.

The negativity comes from a few things.

1. Teams like calgary and edmonton getting stronger.

2. Questionable trades. Fans rightfully not feeling like gmjb not doing a good job in his trades. (Kassian lack vey)

3. Fans not being happy with signings. (Sbisa, dorsett, miller)

I look back to when jim benning was hired. Alot around cdc dubbed him as saviour.

Why? He hadn't really done anything yet. There's alot more to being a GM than scouting.

Now we're seeing that. I'm starting to question his abilities quite a bit.

I'm OK with the direction...if the direction is playing the young guns...

To stomach another year of the ageing veteran core and now an ageing Prust to go along with them, I think will be hard to watch.

The direction should be ...make roster spots available to the young guns, so they can be mentored by the Sedins, Vrbata and Hamhuis...the rest can go and should go.

Good post . Thanks for taking the time to be positive.
The hysterics against management just showing again that part of this fanbase is a total embarrassment.

Gillis leaves a carcass handcuffed to rot on the side of the road.

Benning is going to build us a beauty.
this team will not only be skilled but bad ass.

in other words playoff built.

The Mason Raymond, Cody Hodsgon fanboys melting down again here (s.o.p CDC) and freaking out on talk radio because the idiots at 1040 have whipped them up into a frenzy need to all go back to cheering for the Flames, Leafs , Jets , Habs etc.....

Lets stay positive and make this a market that players want to come to instead of a backstabbing , bus throwing, negative cancer pit

This team was good enough to at least beat Calgary in the playoffs last season. They should have, but for some reason they didn't.

So the Canucks had to fix some things to advance farther into the playoffs.

1. Bieksa had to go because he was the guy who said Ferland would be irrelevant and that sparked Ferland to dominate us. Sure, Ferland was wiped off the map in his first meeting with Anaheim the series after, but Bieksa should have just kept quiet. Good-bye.

In comes Matt Bartkowski who Benning says is real good, and he is a ton cheaper and years younger. Sure he might appear to have no skill, but that will change once he starts playing with the skilled players he has to work with here as opposed to Boston.

2. Kassian was a complete non-factor in the playoffs, he quit on the team and was a real piece of work all the time he was here. He should have been traded last deadline, but the team wanted all men onboard for the playoff run.

In comes Brandon Prust, warrior. Instant team-first upgrade that we should not overlook. He's not scared to do what it takes to win games. Sure, again it might appear that he has no skill, and he is older, but he'll quickly become a fan favorite here like Dorsett did and Kassian will be long forgotten about, no matter what he does after his back gets better.

3. Lack was a sieve in the playoffs. There is absolutely no doubt about it. So he had to go, no matter how much of a 'nice guy' he is.

In comes Markstrom, who just took the Comets to the finals. He CARRIED the Comets there, actually. He's fantastic. Sure, his NHL starts have been shaky at best, but this will change in the coming season with the younger defense.

4. Shawn Matthias had to go. He was utterly useless in the playoffs. It was a catastrophe. He should have been traded at the last deadline, but again, Benning wanted all men onboard for the run.

In comes nobody. That means a spot is open for a young player to take. That young player, whoever it is, will be an upgrade on Shawn Matthias by default.

5. Brad Richardson also had to go. He was getting in the way of Linden Vey and other good young players.

6. Stanton was busting here and had to go. Corrado and Clendening, even Fedun, are better.

I am not sure why people are complaining about the moves that Benning did. He quietly improved the team a bit for the coming season, and they'll be good enough to contend for a playoff spot again. This is the goal since that's what the fans deserve.

I'm OK with the direction...if the direction is playing the young guns...

To stomach another year of the ageing veteran core and now an ageing Prust to go along with them, I think will be hard to watch.

The direction should be ...make roster spots available to the young guns, so they can be mentored by the Sedins, Vrbata and Hamhuis...the rest can go and should go.

This is what I am worried about, I cant stand to watch another season of aging heartless vets trying to win a game in the first round. Given Willie's preference for veterans, I dont see a youth movement coming. When have the Canucks EVER had a true youth movement? I do not recall once having a team full of young players ready to do some damage.

Kass didn't play in the playoffs...

Archived