The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why All the Negativity?

vladimirpuck

I think what's happening is the right direction for this team too. I think we have the best group of prospects in the NHL. Prust is what this team was missing in the playoffs.

We just need to make the playoffs. It all depends how our young kids do

So much complacency. Some trades have been hard to swallow but I believe Benning has solid master plan for the youth which could be great in a few years time (Virtanen, McCann, shinkaruk, subban, gaunce, boeser).

I'd sure be stoked to see Kenins, Prust and Virtanen play on the 4th line together.

Whose gunna take the FO? Lol

Negativity because arguably this team is worse. Things have been moved for less value than they could/should have been moved for, and at the wrong time. Timing being terrible, combined with bad returns, overpriced signings, and obsession with former staff member's buddies/draft picks and players. Nonsensical direction.

It all says reactionary behaviour. No part of it suggests preconceived intent, planning, or accomplishing goals set out. No part of it suggests assertive management. Kind of like the team's play, letting the other guys dictate what goes on makes this team a loser.

The roster looks pretty good right now, but I still hear all this negative talk about how this team is going to suck, how this team will pick first, how we are going to get crushed, etc. I don't get it. Why all the negativity? I just don't see how this team is worse than last year's team. Can someone please enlighten me?

Three popular Canucks gone in less than a week, and not much in return.

Add to that some of the lamest sounding excuses I've heard from corporate management blaming value on return on things like guys out east 'not knowing about our guys' when all 30 teams have pro scouts on the payroll, coming from a guy who IS a pro scout?

there's two main camps:

- those who want to win now... are pissed off that by trading Lack, Bieksa and Kassian for Prust and futures that we're not competitive esp after the Flames, Kings and Oilers upgraded their teams.

- those who want a scorched earth rebuild in hope of drafting the next Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook. They think we haven't done enough to trade vets like Sedins, Burrows, Higgins and Miller.

Actually, more like one camp has patience and is willing to get this done the right way. Right meaning not a blow-up/tank-for-years/hope-for-a-saviour but building through drafting, FA, and trades, bringing in youth and sending out veterans.

The other camp cries out for everything to be blown up, but then cries louder when a popular veteran player gets traded as a necessary part of the change. Then again, these are the types that typically complain about everything anyway.

I'm excited for change. I look forward to bringing in the young guns; but I just can't comprehend the Kassian trade. Was one of my favourite Canucks and think he deserved one last year to see if he breaks out. Weber and Vey got another year, why not Kassian? We should be trading Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, etc.

Actually, more like one camp has patience and is willing to get this done the right way. Right meaning not a blow-up/tank-for-years/hope-for-a-saviour but building through drafting, FA, and trades, bringing in youth and sending out veterans.

The other camp cries out for everything to be blown up, but then cries louder when a popular veteran player gets traded as a necessary part of the change. Then again, these are the types that typically complain about everything anyway.

No you are way off, the way you've reduced it to such black and white terms only illustrates your ignorant opinion and lack of willingness to understand the position.

Nobody is asking for 'everything to be blown up' and 'complaining about anything anyway' I would think after the countless volumes of very rational posts there's ample evidence of what people are thinking.

Value judgement is way off. There's no 'right way' to build a team but there sure ARE wrong ways to build one (or run a business for that matter). If I bother making reference to the large number of things that don't make sense according to your 'right way of doing things' are you going to then call me names or would you even read it?

Do you really think overpaying FAs is the 'right way to build a team'? Maybe if you are building the Florida Panthers. The other parts of that equation require sensible value judgement and the jury IS OUT on that one so hate people's opinions if you want but the evidence is on the table for all to see. Benning can't play poker.

You think this team has management that wants to do things the right way yet they are showing they're doing it the wrong way. Notice nobody said anything about them 'tanking' but you DON'T build for the future by recycling DOWN in value. If you want to go black and white it's that simple.

I'm part of the camp you mentioned:

build through drafting - check.. in progress... Horvat made the team, Corrado will and Virtanen has a chance... 3 draft picks right there.

FA - this year was an ugly crop but we have 5 expiring contracts so we have cap space for signing an impact player next year

Trades - could have gotten slightly higher returns but better than losing players for nothing which was done a lot in the Gillis era... traded Lack, Bieksa and Kassian for 3rd rounder Brisebois, 2nd rd 2016 and an expiring contract

Bringing in youth - Horvat, Vey and Kenins made the team as rookies last year while Baertschi, Markstrom, Corrado and Clendening will likely make the team this year... Virtanen has a chance. That's 7-8 young players in 2 yrs.

sending out veterans - Lack, Bieksa, Kassian, Richardson, and Matthias are out. Vrbata, Hamhuis, Weber, Bartkowski and Prust all on expiring contracts. That could be 10 vets out in 2 years.

But the original question was "why the negativity" and the 2 camps who want all-in compete now or all-in rebuild are the most unhappy. I'm pretty happy with the direction of the team.

Did this team try to trade Matthias in February while his value was at an all time high or have they let him go for nothing when they probably could have managed a 2nd or 3rd for him mid-season?

So we kept him for the 'playoff run' and how did that work out?

I don't think they know how to get the most out of what they've got, and that is called management.

No you are way off, the way you've reduced it to such black and white terms only illustrates your ignorant opinion and lack of willingness to understand the position.

Nobody is asking for 'everything to be blown up' and 'complaining about anything anyway' I would think after the countless volumes of very rational posts there's ample evidence of what people are thinking.

Value judgement is way off. There's no 'right way' to build a team but there sure ARE wrong ways to build one (or run a business for that matter). If I bother making reference to the large number of things that don't make sense according to your 'right way of doing things' are you going to then call me names or would you even read it?

Do you really think overpaying FAs is the 'right way to build a team'? Maybe if you are building the Florida Panthers. The other parts of that equation require sensible value judgement and the jury IS OUT on that one so hate people's opinions if you want but the evidence is on the table for all to see. Benning can't play poker.

You think this team has management that wants to do things the right way yet they are showing they're doing it the wrong way. Notice nobody said anything about them 'tanking' but you DON'T build for the future by recycling DOWN in value. If you want to go black and white it's that simple.

well said.

Did this team try to trade Matthias in February while his value was at an all time high or have they let him go for nothing when they probably could have managed a 2nd or 3rd for him mid-season?

So we kept him for the 'playoff run' and how did that work out?

I don't think they know how to get the most out of what they've got, and that is called management.

I get the feeling that Benning and Linden wanted to give the core one last kick at the can last year. That's why players like Matthias and Bieksa weren't dealt at the deadline. But after getting our butts whipped by Calgary they've turned to the long-term plan.

I think we are going for the right goals but maybe not going about it the best ways.

1.You do not say you want to get younger and maintain picks but then trade a 24 year old and a pick for a 31 year old. I get the argument of bringing a leadership role in and that Kassian was having difficulties here but in my eyes that still doesn't justify trading the potential that is Kassian for someone like Prust. I like the idea of someone like Prust on the team but not at that price.

2. I didn't agree with moving Lack to begin with but I get that he brings in the biggest return. However, if a 3rd and a 7th is your biggest return you don't pull the trigger. He is simply worth more than that. I don't believe those saying that there was zero market for someone like Miller. I don't think Benning even looked at moving him. I would've much preferred to shed that salary and role with a Lack/Martstrom tandem. The Bachman signing was a great idea though. Keeps Markstrom on his toes and Bachman has shown flashes of brilliance.

3.Guys like Higgins and Burrows are chewing up cap space and potential roster slots for youth. I get that there isn't much return for them but for what they bring on and off the ice it makes more sense to me to ship them off and get what you can. Bring in a couple cheap 1 year guys if needed and let the kids play.

4. I am a believer of the 'tank philosophy'. The truth is while it hurts to go through a season or two like that it does work. You need to draft to properly rebuild and anything outside of a Top 10 pick greatly reduces you chances of a successful rebuild. You need to hit rock bottom sometimes before you start climbing back to the top. The younger players know they are coming into a team that needs work and that they are the future. They learn the system in a low pressure locker room and master their skills. Then come out swinging.

5. I love the Sedins and I am seriously torn on this issue. They can still fetch a decent return, they are still 50-60 point players (likely more on a better team) and they deserve a cup. I want them to live out their whole careers as Canucks but it makes more sense for both parties to move them to a team where they can have another shot at winning and allow the Canucks to pick up some important rebuilding pieces. I would hope management sits them down, goes over these facts and sees if they are willing to waive to go to a true contender (which we are not).

6. Vrbata is another piece that could fetch some kind of respectable return to help the rebuild. Another contender worthy player who deserves a cup run. You don't have to mvoe him if the return isn't right (like any of our players really) but it is something I hope the brass are seriously exploring.

These moves would truly gut the team and bring it down to bare bones. While i don't think Benning is the most crafty trader in the league he is definitely a slick scout and good at drafting. Giving Benning a bucket pull of picks would allow him to do what he does best and allow us to rebuild quickly. When it comes to developing youth that is also one of WD's specialties. In fact it's a big reason why he got the job. Let them do wha they do and we will be back in the mix in a much shorter time. Short term suffering instead of long term mediocrity is the motto we should be going with.

Listen man, I was really trying hard to be positive about this team, but after this joke of a Kassian trade, you trade him PLUS A DRAFT PICK??? For a 31 year old slow over the hill player which we have too much of already?

BENNING and Linden, you are making a mess of this team, and honestly you just lost me as a true fan. I guess it is time to start cheering for the Habs again.

Seriously none of these moves make any sense whatsoever. Last year was great, now this year Benning seems to have had something put in his drink. Lack, Bieksa and Kassian gone for what?? Hardly anything at all.

I will now be shifting my focus to a negative one after witnessing these horrid trades. Maybe the Canucks do want to tank next season.

CDC calls for the sky to fall. Oiler fans brag about their team every June - oct. Lets see how this team plays out. Young players get better every year. We will be better than last year. teams can only have 5 guys on the ice. Lucic didnèt make L.A better, they still have internal issues. Aneheim got slower on Defense with Bieska..... When this team was injured and limping it was our young D-corp that stood out. We actually went backwards when the Veterns came back. That won t happen this year. We will be surprised. Mcdavid will not make the Oilers better this year, And will Mcdavid be rushed as all oiler prospects. They are still damaged prospects, And culture change will not be seen much till next year. Oilers miss play-offs. san Jose will still miss. Los Angelas will be a bubble team. Canucks will be middle of the pack, And as soon as these young guns are ready, then we will be a good team.

Archived