The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why All the Negativity?

vladimirpuck

there's two main camps:

- those who want to win now... are pissed off that by trading Lack, Bieksa and Kassian for Prust and futures that we're not competitive esp after the Flames, Kings and Oilers upgraded their teams.

- those who want a scorched earth rebuild in hope of drafting the next Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook. They think we haven't done enough to trade vets like Sedins, Burrows, Higgins and Miller.

Guess I don't fall into either category. There's a third - the long-timers who've seen worse s*** come down the pike and are taking a wait-n' see approach to this. I'm not about to lynch the GM and the President of Hockey Operations. And I've seen the Canucks scrape the bottom of the barrel throughout the years.

Been waiting 45 years for a Cup... won't hurt to wait a bit longer. Not going to hit the panic button.

So much complacency. Some trades have been hard to swallow but I believe Benning has solid master plan for the youth which could be great in a few years time (Virtanen, McCann, shinkaruk, subban, gaunce, boeser).

I'd sure be stoked to see Kenins, Prust and Virtanen play on the 4th line together.

Umm, there's no centre on that line. Maybe you can be Benning's assistant.

Guess I don't fall into either category. There's a third - the long-timers who've seen worse s*** come down the pike and are taking a wait-n' see approach to this. I'm not about to lynch the GM and the President of Hockey Operations. And I've seen the Canucks scrape the bottom of the barrel throughout the years.

Been waiting 45 years for a Cup... won't hurt to wait a bit longer. Not going to hit the panic button.

It is reminding me of the Harry Neale era...hope the Kassian trade doesn't turn out like the Cam Neely trade

The answer to your question:

1- Its CDC. That's how it is here.

2- the fan fav Kassian got traded and all his fans are pissed at the management.

3- It's a city filled with bandwagoners, who have no interest in the team whatsoever.

4-Everyone here just "knows" better how to run the team

Simple as it gets.

The answer to your question:

1- Its CDC. That's how it is here.

2- the fan fav Kassian got traded and all his fans are pissed at the management.

3- It's a city filled with bandwagoners, who have no interest in the team whatsoever.

4-Everyone here just "knows" better how to run the team

Simple as it gets.

Poor return for Zack and Eddie's deals. Trader Jim panicked in making his moves so the returns are underwhelming.

(Also, there was news that he had a better deal with the Sharks, 2 x 2nd for Juice but then he botched it)

Of course, people are unhappy that the team is likely going to need to rebuild while most other teams got much better around the draft and free agency (Calgary with Hamilton, Edmonton's D and goalie got upgraded, plus Connor "King" David, L.A. got Lucic when we were going to get him for Juice, apparently; S.J. not trading us the 31st so we could draft Roy, Anaheim's always been good, even Buffalo and Colorado improving by leaps and bounds... CDC says "and here we are with older guys still around")

This team was good enough to at least beat Calgary in the playoffs last season. They should have, but for some reason they didn't.

So the Canucks had to fix some things to advance farther into the playoffs.

1. Bieksa had to go because he was the guy who said Ferland would be irrelevant and that sparked Ferland to dominate us. Sure, Ferland was wiped off the map in his first meeting with Anaheim the series after, but Bieksa should have just kept quiet. Good-bye.

In comes Matt Bartkowski who Benning says is real good, and he is a ton cheaper and years younger. Sure he might appear to have no skill, but that will change once he starts playing with the skilled players he has to work with here as opposed to Boston.

2. Kassian was a complete non-factor in the playoffs, he quit on the team and was a real piece of work all the time he was here. He should have been traded last deadline, but the team wanted all men onboard for the playoff run.

In comes Brandon Prust, warrior. Instant team-first upgrade that we should not overlook. He's not scared to do what it takes to win games. Sure, again it might appear that he has no skill, and he is older, but he'll quickly become a fan favorite here like Dorsett did and Kassian will be long forgotten about, no matter what he does after his back gets better.

3. Lack was a sieve in the playoffs. There is absolutely no doubt about it. So he had to go, no matter how much of a 'nice guy' he is.

In comes Markstrom, who just took the Comets to the finals. He CARRIED the Comets there, actually. He's fantastic. Sure, his NHL starts have been shaky at best, but this will change in the coming season with the younger defense.

4. Shawn Matthias had to go. He was utterly useless in the playoffs. It was a catastrophe. He should have been traded at the last deadline, but again, Benning wanted all men onboard for the run.

In comes nobody. That means a spot is open for a young player to take. That young player, whoever it is, will be an upgrade on Shawn Matthias by default.

5. Brad Richardson also had to go. He was getting in the way of Linden Vey and other good young players.

6. Stanton was busting here and had to go. Corrado and Clendening, even Fedun, are better.

I am not sure why people are complaining about the moves that Benning did. He quietly improved the team a bit for the coming season, and they'll be good enough to contend for a playoff spot again. This is the goal since that's what the fans deserve.

Your posts always amuse me; #3 made me (and probably everybody else here) laugh out loud. The Lack comment was also a laughriot. Of course there is always the possibility that your post is sarcasm in which case ya got me. Judging from previous posts this one isn't sarcasm...

Before you say our roster looks pretty good, take a look at what most of the teams in West, and especially in the Pacific Division did.

But that's not the reason for the negativity. It's the feeling that we moved some assets that we should have received more in return for, or that we received assets that seem to go against the getting younger and faster plan.

I mean, the Flyers traded Zac Freaking Rinaldo to the Bruins for a third round pick. We trade a legitimate starting goalie for a third rounder and a 24 year old power forward in the making for a 31 year old 4th liner.

Just can't shake the feeling that our GM was abused by his fellow GM's.

Maybe you have that feeling cause you massively overvalue our players? People get this idea in their head that X is worth Y and thats that, its static, etc. But in reality Lack and Kassian are only worth what people were willing to pay, and if you think they both werent shopped around and werent widely known as available, then youre off your rocker. Fact is no one was willing to pay more for either of those traded assets, or we woulda taken it.

So that bags the question, if Lack really was viewed as a legit starter (young at that) why werent people falling over themselves running to the phone to offer more? Same goes for Kassian.

As some context too, the folks on on 1040 said the goalie coaches they talked with placed Lack 3rd amongst available goalies, behind the two that got more return, and that they thought the return was fair given the market and our situation. Likewise, while idk any analyst who is enthralled by the Kassian trade, most believed his time was done here and had some sort of negative story to go along with it.

Poor return for Zack and Eddie's deals. Trader Jim panicked in making his moves so the returns are underwhelming.

(Also, there was news that he had a better deal with the Sharks, 2 x 2nd for Juice but then he botched it)

Of course, people are unhappy that the team is likely going to need to rebuild while most other teams got much better around the draft and free agency (Calgary with Hamilton, Edmonton's D and goalie got upgraded, plus Connor "King" David, L.A. got Lucic when we were going to get him for Juice, apparently; S.J. not trading us the 31st so we could draft Roy, Anaheim's always been good, even Buffalo and Colorado improving by leaps and bounds... CDC says "and here we are with older guys still around")

I get where you are coming from, and I agree we could have gotten better return for Kass and Lack. But again, JB needs to be given a chance. He's got his way of doing things, we don't know how the team will perform the coming season. It could either be the same as last year( I hope) or worse. But what I don't understand is why some people already have an adamant opinion formed about him that he's a bad GM. 1 year is not enough to rebuild a team, or to fix whatever went to wrong with the team due to previous administration. I get why people are upset, but he deserves at least one more year before we can all reach a verdict as to what kind of a GM he is and if he is fit to be here. I am gonna wait till the TDL and the beginning of the season to see if he makes any move, and like someone else mentioned in another post, in a recent interview he said he isn't done making deals yet. Let's wait and see...

Because when people demand change, they want the change to occur in a way that THEY approve.

They want a GM that is a smooth talker.

They want a GM who will not re-sign our roster players they do not like.

They want a GM who clearly wins every trade.

They want players re-signed at home town discount rates but not give out NTCs.

Some want the team to tank and want a GM who will trade off our presant core so that we can stock up with some 1st over all picks and have a guaranteed Stanley Cup.

Me...I have followed the team since 1970.

I am just happy to have a team.

And like everybody else, I like some moves and not others.

No big deal.

Just standard fan base stuff.

-People want change, but don't

-People complain that their favourite players are gone

-People overvalue the players and expect to get 2nd rounders +

-People want 30+ year olds gone and see no point of having vets

-People can predict the future and thought GMJB should have traded away player x (mainly Matthias) earlier in the season

-People are geting mad that other teams are better while we're not; but wait, didn't some wanted the vets to be gone and tank?

... Just some of the reasons for negativity

Yes, there's a lot of hate going on but if you think the roster 'isn't that bad', you're being way too biased.

Give me 3 rosters in the west that are worse than the canucks. Good luck

Archived