The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] Martin St. Louis retires from the NHL

I know right there were better candidates than him that should have been on team canada and then for him to bascailly bail on tampa even after yzerman picked him for an injury replacement it was just a really cry baby move.

He was the reigning Art Ross winner at the time and the NHL linemate of one the teams top centres, not sure why Stevey Y left him off the team in the first place.

Marty was an inspiration to all the shorter guys out there. Congrats on what deserves to be a Hall of Fame carrer Marty.

Wow, I'm surprised. Always loved Marty, and that Tampa team he was on that won the cup is one of my favorite teams ever. Will miss the guy for sure but always respect guys that hang them up when they can still play instead of clinging to the game and becoming irrelevent.

To me he severely tarnished his legacy with how he handled being initially cut from TC. I always respected the guy and there's no doubting his accomplishments but how he whined to the media about being cut and ultimately asking for a trade only to the NYR left a sour taste in my mouth. Not a fan of him but regardless what he achieved being an undradted player is incredible.

Nothing but disrespect in this thread. Dude won the art ross MONTHS before being left off team canada. Id be pissed as well. Yzerman is one of the biggest a holes i ever met in my life, he isnt the classy guy the media makes him out to be. There is obviously more to the story we will never know.

But what i do know is Marty is one of the best players of this decade. He is a sure fire 1st ballot HHOFer.

He was done and it showed in the playoffs. Great trade by Yzerman.

Like Kesler, MSL would only waive to 1 team. Pretty similar situation, he demanded a trade and he picked the destination. Still can't believe Stevie Y got so much in return.

Tremendous career from a tremendous player. Love him or loathe him, he was one of the best players in the NHL over the last 15 years and I'm sad he's not coming back for one more year.

Do you guys think he is HOF calibre?

If you have to ask this question, you don't know who the guy is then.

1134 games played.

1033 points

Olympic Gold Medalist

2x Art Ross winner

1x Hart winner

1x Lester B Pearson

3x Lady Byng

Stanley Cup champ

That in itself is an impressive resume for a guy who's 5'8, went undrafted, and had many hockey experts and analysts at the time question whether he would be able to play in the NHL on a consistent basis in the late 1990s.

The 2004 Hart Trophy winner and two-time scoring champion finishes his career with 1,033 points in 1,134 games. He also posted a 102-point season in 2006-07.

If you have to ask this question, you don't know who the guy is then.

1134 games played.

1033 points

Olympic Gold Medalist

2x Art Ross winner

1x Hart winner

1x Lester B Pearson

3x Lady Byng

Stanley Cup champ

That in itself is an impressive resume for a guy who's 5'8, went undrafted, and had many hockey experts and analysts at the time question whether he would be able to play in the NHL on a consistent basis in the late 1990s.

The 2004 Hart Trophy winner and two-time scoring champion finishes his career with 1,033 points in 1,134 games. He also posted a 102-point season in 2006-07.

It's an impressive resume, no doubt, and he will get into the HOF for sure. I think it's gotten way too easy to get in though. HOF IMO should be for generational and near generational level stars.

Archived