The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Restructuring the Draft

Why oh why is the Entry Draft, 7 rounds???? I keep hearing how the later rounds are simply "crap shoots"......so why bother with them? Should teams be rewarded for being "lucky" in making a selection of an 18 year old who has not fully matured, physically, mentally and skill wise.....or, should we actually allow these players to develop and make the drafting of them at a later age, far more logical. The NBA figured this out years ago, and their draft is now only 2 rounds (and they moved their age limit up). Now, I realize they need fewer players on an NBA team than on a hockey team....plus, the NHL needs more players on their AHL etc teams for development purposes. But, let's be realistic.

One of the problems the draft has, is the age at which players can be drafted. Why do we make it so young, when it is difficult to determine a players full potential....and then come out and say, "we really won't know about this player for 5 years"! Wouldn't it be nicer to draft players who could actually play in the NHL within a year or 2, and not have to have so much "guessing" go into it?

There are very few players who can play the year after being drafted (Sydney Crosby, Connor McDavid etc) so why not move the age up at least a year so teams can make a better decision on a players potential? How would this hurt?

I believe we need to consider the following:

1 Downsize the draft to 4 rounds.

2 Move the draft age up at least 1 year ( 2 would actually probably be better)

3 Allow an exemption for extremely talented players, like McDavid, with the stipulation that if they are drafted at that younger age, they MUST play at least 1/2 the next season in the NHL

4 Any players over the age of 21, who have not been drafted are then free agents and can sign with any team, so they can select at team that suits their desires, perhaps due to the needs of the team or the players desire to play in certain locations.

Why oh why is the Entry Draft, 7 rounds???? I keep hearing how the later rounds are simply "crap shoots"......so why bother with them? Should teams be rewarded for being "lucky" in making a selection of an 18 year old who has not fully matured, physically, mentally and skill wise.....or, should we actually allow these players to develop and make the drafting of them at a later age, far more logical. The NBA figured this out years ago, and their draft is now only 2 rounds (and they moved their age limit up). Now, I realize they need fewer players on an NBA team than on a hockey team....plus, the NHL needs more players on their AHL etc teams for development purposes. But, let's be realistic.

One of the problems the draft has, is the age at which players can be drafted. Why do we make it so young, when it is difficult to determine a players full potential....and then come out and say, "we really won't know about this player for 5 years"! Wouldn't it be nicer to draft players who could actually play in the NHL within a year or 2, and not have to have so much "guessing" go into it?

There are very few players who can play the year after being drafted (Sydney Crosby, Connor McDavid etc) so why not move the age up at least a year so teams can make a better decision on a players potential? How would this hurt?

3 Allow an exemption for extremely talented players, like McDavid, with the stipulation that if they are drafted at that younger age, they MUST play at least 1/2 the next season in the NHL

4 Any players over the age of 21, who have not been drafted are then free agents and can sign with any team, so they can select at team that suits their desires, perhaps due to the needs of the team or the players desire to play in certain locations.

You're crazy lol, who decides these "talented" players. the stat lines ? there are so many different junior leagues that a 100 points in QJMHL is less thrilling than 100 points in WHL / OHL

Some draft eligible players play in men leagues in Europe, so is that weighted more? weighted less?

What about college route. they play alot less games than the CHL... does that exclude all of those players then? and even then on your stipulation to force them in the lineup that excludes all those college kids from going back to college...

Not to mention adding random rules complicates an already complicated league. the Draft is one thing that should be easy to understand and more importantly for the fans to follow along.

Again Zetterberg was something like a 7th round 210 overall... that's one reason to go 7 rounds... it's not an excuse to go to less than 7 because its a "crap shoot"

On the bolded I believe players can enter the draft as a 17 year old and if not drafted can reenter the next draft as an 18 year old... if they don't get drafted then I believe they become UFA...

Also not sure how Lack got signed but he was undrafted so not sure if he even went through the NHL draft process..

I totally agree.

Not to mention adding random rules complicates an already complicated league. the Draft is one thing that should be easy to understand and more importantly for the fans to follow along.

This is simplifying the current draft which would make it much it easier to follow.

Most of the players drafted never make it. Why not just cut it down? The cream will rise to the top and the first four rounds will have plenty of top end, NHL ready talent rather than scrawny teenagers who you hope pan out.

You're crazy lol, who decides these "talented" players. the stat lines ? there are so many different junior leagues that a 100 points in QJMHL is less thrilling than 100 points in WHL / OHL

Some draft eligible players play in men leagues in Europe, so is that weighted more? weighted less?

What about college route. they play alot less games than the CHL... does that exclude all of those players then? and even then on your stipulation to force them in the lineup that excludes all those college kids from going back to college...

Again Zetterberg was something like a 7th round 210 overall... that's one reason to go 7 rounds... it's not an excuse to go to less than 7 because its a "crap shoot"

On the bolded I believe players can enter the draft as a 17 year old and if not drafted can reenter the next draft as an 18 year old... if they don't get drafted then I believe they become UFA...

Also not sure how Lack got signed but he was undrafted so not sure if he even went through the NHL draft process..

Let's see:

There are so few players as talented as McDavid or Crosby, that it would not be that difficult to decide. They are known about for years after scoring 200+ points in Midget. I believe that this exemption is actually in play in Major Junior now so that players like McDavid are able to play Junior a year earlier than the rest. If they were not part of the "exempt" players, not real harm is done as they would just be drafted a year or two later.

Nobody would be forced to forgo college. Even now, if a player is drafted, they still have the opportunity to attend college. They are simply the teams property until they actually sign a contract.

The Zetterburg argument is moot.....if the Red Wings, or any team, knew he was going to be as good of a player as he turned out to be, you can be sure he would have been drafted in a much earlier round. Having him undrafted until he reached an age when it was obvious that he was going to be a talented player, takes a lot of the guessing out of things...and does not hurt the player one bit. In fact, being drafted in a higher round would likely give them a much higher entry level contract (which might be something that would also need to be looked at.)

We make it so young because there are players that can make the NHL at 18

Again, the proposal acknowledges those very few who are capable.

Do we also need 7 rounds and draft players who many will admit, are simply NOT capable of playing in the NHL?

Let's see:

There are so few players as talented as McDavid or Crosby, that it would not be that difficult to decide. They are known about for years after scoring 200+ points in Midget. I believe that this exemption is actually in play in Major Junior now so that players like McDavid are able to play Junior a year earlier than the rest. If they were not part of the "exempt" players, not real harm is done as they would just be drafted a year or two later.

Nobody would be forced to forgo college. Even now, if a player is drafted, they still have the opportunity to attend college. They are simply the teams property until they actually sign a contract.

The Zetterburg argument is moot.....if the Red Wings, or any team, knew he was going to be as good of a player as he turned out to be, you can be sure he would have been drafted in a much earlier round. Having him undrafted until he reached an age when it was obvious that he was going to be a talented player, takes a lot of the guessing out of things...and does not hurt the player one bit. In fact, being drafted in a higher round would likely give them a much higher entry level contract (which might be something that would also need to be looked at.)

But that goes against the stipulation... The team is forced to play the player half the year yet the player has the option to goto college ? again then its stipulation with clauses.

Honestly even if you push the age to 21 nothing will change there will be players players that will surprise at 22-23 and players that will fizzle out when they are 21 in the NHL.

Sorry man but fact is there are 17 - 18 year olds that can play in the NHL so why limit yourself there and more and more thats a common theme. Exactly what this guy said:

We make it so young because there are players that can make the NHL at 18

But that goes against the stipulation... The team is forced to play the player half the year yet the player has the option to goto college ? again then its stipulation with clauses.

Honestly even if you push the age to 21 nothing will change there will be players players that will surprise at 22-23 and players that will fizzle out when they are 21 in the NHL.

Sorry man but fact is there are 17 - 18 year olds that can play in the NHL so why limit yourself there and more and more thats a common theme. Exactly what this guy said:

The team is forced to play the player half the year, ONLY if they are one of the few who are exempt and are declared "draft eligible" before everybody else (Connor McDavid this year, for example). For everyone else, they would not be eligible to be drafted until 1 or 2 years later than is currently in place. Obviously, then, they could go to college, either before being drafted (i.e. 2nd overall selection this year, Jack Eichel who played in College this past season) or after being drafted if they chose not to sign a contract...as is currently the case.

My original point remains....there is no need to have 7 rounds in the draft and we need to let the majority of players develop more, before being draft eligible.

My original point remains....there is no need to have 7 rounds in the draft and we need to let the majority of players develop more, before being draft eligible.

Who will develop them? Their junior/collage teams? Once a team drafts a player they have a vested interest in him and usually have some part in his development. This can only be good for the player IMHO.

7 rounds is fine; it used to be 9 and before that 12 and I was OK with that too. IIRC my old buddy Valeri Zelepukin was picked in the 11th round and he has his name on the Cup.

A funny observation: I have many friends around the world who are my "hockey buddies" (as I call them). Some live back east, some are in Europe and not a lot of them are die hard Canuck fans (although they probably do constitute a majority of my HB's). Other than the Canuck fans, none of the other guys (and gals) could care less about the draft; many say it's imperfect but nobody seems to think that changes are needed... except the Canuck fans. Maybe the fact that we have been terrible at drafting for a long time accounts for the dissatisfaction and certainly a few of them subscribe to the old "the NHL hates the Canucks, there is a conspiracy to keep us from winning a Cup..." paranoia. I'm sure if I go look hard on HF boards I will find fans of all teams that hate the draft but in my experience at least only Canuck fans dislike the draft format as it is today.

Archived