The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-Structuring The Draft (Proposal)

My 2 cents.

- Skip drafting in 2017 entirely. OR, draft players 19+ for two rounds.

- Change the draft age to 19. No exceptions for the McEichel's.

- 5 rounds is enough rounds.

- Non-Playoff teams have a compensatory 6th round, single pick each.

- Rule Change: Draft pick amount restrictions

- Minimum of 2 picks

- Maximum of 8-10 picks in five round draft

- Top 5 picks are lottery for number 1.

- Top 7 picks are lottery for number 2. (except for first overall team)

- Top 10 picks are lottery for number 3. (except for first and second overall teams)

- Cannot have number 1 pick two years in a row

- Certainly cannot have it 3 years in a row (Edmonton.)

- Once completed their draft -1 year, they can leave the CHL & play in the NCAA for their draft year.

Allows for better development, tougher league.

Thoughts?

Imput?

Thanks, DP

- Skip drafting in 2017 entirely. OR, draft players 19+ for two rounds.

- Change the draft age to 19. No exceptions for the McEichel's.

This I like. I've said for a long time that they draft too young. In theory, I think there would be fewer draft busts if they were a year older at draft time.

- 5 rounds is enough rounds.

- Non-Playoff teams have a compensatory 6th round, single pick each.

I agree that 5 rounds should be enough, but I think the rules should be the same for everyone. No special round for non-playoff teams.

- Once completed their draft -1 year, they can leave the CHL & play in the NCAA for their draft year.

Allows for better development, tougher league.

Not being able to play in the NCAA after playing even one game in the CHL is the NCAA's rule, not the NHL. The NHL has no power to change that. Besides, that alternate route to the NHL via the NCAA is a big recruiting point for BCHL teams. I wouldn't want to see that taken away.

- Cannot have number 1 pick two years in a row

- Certainly cannot have it 3 years in a row (Edmonton.)

This never bothered me. If they suck so much that they get consecutive number one picks, so be it.

This I like. I've said for a long time that they draft too young. In theory, I think there would be fewer draft busts if they were a year older at draft time.

I agree that 5 rounds should be enough, but I think the rules should be the same for everyone. No special round for non-playoff teams.

Not being able to play in the NCAA after playing even one game in the CHL is the NCAA's rule, not the NHL. The NHL has no power to change that. Besides, that alternate route to the NHL via the NCAA is a big recruiting point for BCHL teams. I wouldn't want to see that taken away.

This never bothered me. If they suck so much that they get consecutive number one picks, so be it.

I see your point, however, if the players were one year older they would have much bigger team impacts as first overalls. Therefore, If they aren't TRYING to suck, they should not be in last again.

Archived