The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA FREE AGENCY

Scorvat

Except Stamkos has an agent. Does this guy not have an agent who negotiates contracts on his behalf?

Since when is a verbal agreement for a sports contract the same as in writing? When or why would anyone be held to a verbal agreement for discussing a contract during a period they aren't allowed?

This sort of thing is regularly done by sports franchises, so it's funny to me that a player gets flak for changing his mind.

So much outrage over nothing.

I don't really think it's over nothing. Sure there was no written agreement he went back on, but still he gave his word that he would become the Mavs starting center and because of this they stopped pursuing other options and let Tyson Chandler walk because they thought they had his replacement.

Nothing he technically did wrong, just a giant douche move and big screw you to the Mavs

Except Stamkos has an agent. Does this guy not have an agent who negotiates contracts on his behalf?

Since when is a verbal agreement for a sports contract the same as in writing? When or why would anyone be held to a verbal agreement for discussing a contract during a period they aren't allowed?

This sort of thing is regularly done by sports franchises, so it's funny to me that a player gets flak for changing his mind.

So much outrage over nothing.

DeAndre had already publicly announced he was signing with the Mavs and agreed upon a contract. This is basically like an unwritten rule or code once a player goes public and announces he has agreed to terms with a franchise then other organizations stop contacting that player and that player stops speaking to other teams. It's like an honor system everything is agreed to and they just need to sign the papers once the FA officially opens. Basically every NBA signing you heard about this past week or 2 were verbal agreements to contracts that weren't signed until today.

It's legal but considered a huge dick move because while everyone is honoring this code other players are signing and trades being made. So when the Clippers broke this code and stole Jordan at the last second it screws the Mavs over hard because they had that hole filled but now not only do they not get that player but they missed out on talking to other players and exploring trades to fill that role.

He told the Mavericks he would sign with them, gave a verbal agreement. The least he could do is call Cuban and say I'm having second thoughts or that he's going to LA. Instead he avoided calls from Chandler Parsons and Mark Cuban, the guy acted so unprofessional through the whole thing in the past 24 hours.

That's like Stamkos saying yes to a Canucks offer during the period where teams are allowed to talk to players, but then 5-6 hours before free agency we hear rumours that Stamkos is having doubts and is thinking about re-signing with Tampa. He then doesn't talk to anyone from the Canucks organization and just goes ahead and signs with TB at 12:01am on July 1. We have cleared the cap room and everything, but are now left with a huge hole in that position with all of the other big players already committed to other teams.

Would you be fine with that or would you be extremely pissed off as a Canucks/hockey fan?

Of course I would be pissed but it's still within the rules. The Clippers changed Jordan's mind and really wanted him back. Too bad Cuban.

DeAndre had already publicly announced he was signing with the Mavs and agreed upon a contract. This is basically like an unwritten rule or code once a player goes public and announces he has agreed to terms with a franchise then other organizations stop contacting that player and that player stops speaking to other teams. It's like an honor system everything is agreed to and they just need to sign the papers once the FA officially opens. Basically every NBA signing you heard about this past week or 2 were verbal agreements to contracts that weren't signed until today.

It's legal but considered a huge dick move because while everyone is honoring this code other players are signing and trades being made. So when the Clippers broke this code and stole Jordan at the last second it screws the Mavs over hard because they had that hole filled but now not only do they not get that player but they missed out on talking to other players and exploring trades to fill that role.

Wrong. At no point did Jordan publicly announce the signing.

Cuban was part of that Chris Paul trade fiasco not too long ago. I don't think anyone feels bad for him.

Wrong. At no point did Jordan publicly announce the signing.

Cuban was part of that Chris Paul trade fiasco not too long ago. I don't think anyone feels bad for him.

He didn't?

Ether way he agreed to a contract and it was announced. He didn't deny it ever and backed out at the last second while not having the balls to respond to the Mavs after he got that new deal.

As far as Cuban goes I could careless for the guy but as far as the game goes it is a lowball move and may change how things are done. If he wasn't committed he shouldn't have agreed. If it was falsely announced he should have had it confirmed false. And when he was sure he was taking the new LA deal he should have had the balls to man up to his choice and tell the mavs as they tried to contact him repeatedly to know what was going on.

Overall it was really childish. Like a boy or girl telling another they will go out with them and making plans then getting with someone else and just avoiding the original person entirely not caring about how it effs them over xD

Cuban is no saint but Jordan handled this badly.

He didn't?

Ether way he agreed to a contract and it was announced. He didn't deny it ever and backed out at the last second while not having the balls to respond to the Mavs after he got that new deal.

As far as Cuban goes I could careless for the guy but as far as the game goes it is a lowball move and may change how things are done. If he wasn't committed he shouldn't have agreed. If it was falsely announced he should have had it confirmed false. And when he was sure he was taking the new LA deal he should have had the balls to man up to his choice and tell the mavs as they tried to contact him repeatedly to know what was going on.

Overall it was really childish. Like a boy or girl telling another they will go out with them and making plans then getting with someone else and just avoiding the original person entirely not caring about how it effs them over xD

Cuban is no saint but Jordan handled this badly.

I mean the Clippers basically held him hostage but yes he didn't handle it properly.

Archived