The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions - Western Conference Standings

Lui's Knob

Do you guys realize we only have to finish in the top 3 in our division to guarantee a playoff spot?

I'd say Anaheim and LA are better than us, but we can give Calgary and San Jose a run for 3rd.

I won't even comment on Edmonton. They're moving in the right direction with Chiarelli but I won't believe it until I see it from them.

1.) Nashville

2.) Chicago

3.) St. Louis

4.) Anaheim

5.) Calgary

6.) Minnesota

7.) Edmonton

8.) Vancouver

9.) LA

10.) Colorado

11.) Winnipeg

12.) San Jose

13.) Dallas

14.) Arizona

regards,

G.

EDIT: spelling.

I think your most of you are high on BC bud ...the prediction above is much closer to what will be reality......they will not get a top 10 pick unless they trade for it...they are/will be middle of the pack ....not saying they are a playoff team but it wouldnt surprise me because they way things are shaping up this years version will be closer to an actual team then in many years, and it looks like they will have more heart, toughness and determination....add to that more character and they become a dangerous commodity come playoff time......happens all the time...an 8th place team going deep just because of the character and will of the team....<----this is my prediction top 20 draft pick and 2 rounds in the playoffs

I think your most of you are high on BC bud ...the prediction above is much closer to what will be reality......they will not get a top 10 pick unless they trade for it...they are/will be middle of the pack ....not saying they are a playoff team but it wouldnt surprise me because they way things are shaping up this years version will be closer to an actual team then in many years, and it looks like they will have more heart, toughness and determination....add to that more character and they become a dangerous commodity come playoff time......happens all the time...an 8th place team going deep just because of the character and will of the team....<----this is my prediction top 20 draft pick and 2 rounds in the playoffs

I dont see Edmonton in the top 10 at all

I can't help but believe we'll be right in the thick of things come April. Our boys in Blue and Green clocking in at that 8 spot. If Horvat can up his game, and Virtanen can crack this roster and make some noise of course.

Stars must align for us to have a legit shot of course. We need Sbisa to play up to his contract, we'll need Vey to become consistent, Sedins to hold the status quo, Miller to stay healthy, and Edler and Tanev to minute munch. If all those connect, I still believe in this team to make some noise. Our bottom 6 got a lot tougher with Prust, so we should be tougher to play against.

This team will fight for a wild with a glut of teams like the Sharks, Stars, and Avs. I don't quite see the Oilers there, but they will steal games from us which will be the difference between 8th and 12th. Benning will start a fire sale if the team is out of a playoff spot by trade deadline, and it will only take 4 points to trigger it in a very tight west.

Draft is over, and the free agency frenzy is nearly complete. As it stands now, where do you think teams will end up in the West?

1) Anaheim

2) Minnesota

3) Calgary

4) Nashville

5) Chicago

6) St. Louis

7) LA

8) Winnipeg

--------------------

9) Dallas

10) Colorado

11) Edmonton

12) San Jose

13) Vancouver

14) Arizona

Top 7 pick for Vancouver?

I like to be positive, but? Gunna cheer my arse off, but this is logically where it lands IMO.

Anaheim

Calgary

LA

Chicago

Nashville

Minnesota

St Louis > wildcard

Winnipeg > wildcard

San Jose

Edmonton (might be high, might need time but Sekara, Renihart & McDavid all coming to town, Nurse?)

Dallas Are they any better defensively? Got some pop! Philly of the west!

Vancouver

Colorado (better in some ways, but lost ROR and Stastny in back to back years = time)

Arizona

edit : The team that can and should surprise, may easily move up is Winnipeg. But it depends if Morrisey, Ehlers or any other rookies make it. AND make an impact. Until they do, going to cede it this way. But frack, they could also do damage from that wildcard position. Big, physical, imposing and fast team.

Miller is one year older and slower, Markstrom is a complete unknown yet at the NHL level. We did nothing to address secondary scoring so i will go with the 13th hole for the Canucks. Gone are the days of banking points off the Coil and Phlembs.

1.) Nashville

2.) Chicago

3.) St. Louis

4.) Anaheim

5.) Calgary

6.) Minnesota

7.) Edmonton

8.) Vancouver

9.) LA

10.) Colorado

11.) Winnipeg

12.) San Jose

13.) Dallas

14.) Arizona

regards,

G.

EDIT: spelling.

Prust helps our 4th line.

I don't buy that we are better anywhere else. Is our 2knd line going to be Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata? Not better this year anyway. Maybe when more of Virtanen, Boeser, McCann etc start arriving (in force > ie when they are impacting). I hate to admit would like to see Vrbata moved for futures. We'll see how it goes?

Same thing last year, everyone thought the Canucks would miss...yet they didnt.

Just saying

Last year we added Vrbata, had a new coach, expected (and received) reinvigoration from the Twins.

Barring the unknown; Baertschi & any improvement from Horvat is what we have to hang our improvement hat on.

Bartkowski may be good value, but is not going to be any game breaker for us. Our D is faster, but smaller and less physical in a BIG and getting bigger. To that end Vey is getting a promotion at the expense of the ultr competitive Richardson. Prust will add some feist. Is he better than Mathias (who he really replaces)?

I am not a member of tank nation. But unlike last year, we did not make any moves to step up our competitiveness. If not making tangeable moves to stay competitive in an improving conference; I don't see the logic in keeping Miller over lack, Prust over Kass.

Last year I dismissed tank nation because it was justified. This year we are just stuck flapping our wings in the middle.

teams that improved in our division

L.A + Lucic

Anahiem + Bieksa (already a favorite to win it all)

Edmonton ( no question about this. Added Connor McDavid, goaltending and defence.

Calgary, Hamilton + Frolik, (although not much of a threat still better then VAncouver

so to be honest, even divisional standings its like that

top makes it in, second one might be a wild card if we finish ahead of the Central wild cards.

canucks come in 11th or 12 this year.

Is Anaheim better with Bieksa over Beauchemin. They have put similar numbers up over the last 4 years. Similar age. Beauch has better plus/minus (better team though) and is a little bigger. I dont know - maybe a wash? They lost Beleskey. I cant think who else they added?

We will still be better than the oilers. That team is still a skeleton of prospects that have been taught how to lose.

Im not so sure about that ..the Oilers have probably bungled their way into being a powerhouse in the next year or so...I think we will be lucky to get a split in the series with them this upcoming season..The days of getting freebie points against the Oilers are over for the foreseeable future ..IMO .

Everyone who's picking Vancouver to be near the bottom needs to give that some more thought. In reality who was lost? Lack/Bieksa and Kassian, as well as Richardson and Mathias, none of these players, nor the sum of their combined efforts were the reason the Canucks had a 101 point season last year. The reality is the Canucks under the Sedins/Edler/ and Miller, along with some youth and depth will still be competitively fighting out for a spot anywhere from 5-10 in the conference.

Sure they might wind up missing the playoffs, but they are not gonna be a total tank show as most here seem to think.

I predict they'll be in the hunt basically down to the last week or two, and it wouldn't at all surprise to me see them make the playoffs again. Like I said anything between 5/6-10 in the west is where I expect the Canucks, unless Miller goes down for a long time with an injury and Markstrom can't step up.

Everyone who's picking Vancouver to be near the bottom needs to give that some more thought. In reality who was lost? Lack/Bieksa and Kassian, as well as Richardson and Mathias, none of these players, nor the sum of their combined efforts were the reason the Canucks had a 101 point season last year. The reality is the Canucks under the Sedins/Edler/ and Miller, along with some youth and depth will still be competitively fighting out for a spot anywhere from 5-10 in the conference.

Sure they might wind up missing the playoffs, but they are not gonna be a total tank show as most here seem to think.

I predict they'll be in the hunt basically down to the last week or two, and it wouldn't at all surprise to me see them make the playoffs again. Like I said anything between 5/6-10 in the west is where I expect the Canucks, unless Miller goes down for a long time with an injury and Markstrom can't step up.

Totally agree.

The Sedins alone will ensure we are competitive night in and night out. If Baertschi can supplant Higgins on the 2LW, the second will be in better shape as well. Horvat has another summer under his belt, and if he can get himself off the fourth line, he is a definite upgrade on the Veys, Matthiases, Richardsons of the world.

People may be forgetting that our D was already TERRIBLE last year and we still managed to make the playoffs. Our D may be worse this year, but only slightly so.

I'm strongly in the camp of team tank, but this iteration of the Canucks is probably still good for 7-8th next year.

Archived