The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predictions - Western Conference Standings

Lui's Knob

I'm hoping for the bottom and our veterans look old and are young players excel and develop and make the typical rookie mistakes to cost us to lose and we trade as many veterans for draft picks at the deadline and we end up with a top 3 pick in the draft and stock pile the cupboards with some great picks in the draft and give us some real prospects we can gush about and not over rate some of the mediocre ones we have now (Jensen , Shinkaruk , Cassels .... Ect )

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Canucks are ranked 26th, only ahead of Philly, Carolina, Toronto and Arizona. If that's true, that's a top 5 pick and I'm OK with that. However, I think Toronto will do better with their new coach.

I personally hope we can pick top 3. There's no way we can pick ahead of Arizona or Toronto. Those teams are gutted. Maybe if Carolina's prospects step up they can surpass expectations. And I don't think Philly is as bad as ESPN indicates

Top 3 Div:

Anaheim

Chicago

LA

Minnesota

San Jose

St. Louis

Wildcard hopefuls:

Winnipeg

Nashville

Calgary

Vancouver

Edmonton

Colorado

Arizona

LA for sure bounce back. I expect San Jose to as well, but 3rd might be up for grabs. I think we're in the same position as last season going in. Should have a real shot at 8 or better. I don't think Calgary is as great as everyone thinks they are. Still very vulnerable. More teams will be up to play them. Nashville the same thing. Not as good as they appeared through 35 games. Very much a middle of the pack team.

Edmonton isn't a playoff team over night. Pittsburgh was terrible in Crosby's rookie year. Still poor defensively. Goaltending a huge question mark.

Canucks goals outbound:

Matthias: 18

Richardson: 8

Kassian: 10

Bieksa: 4

Canucks goals inbound:

Prust: 4

Bartkowski: 0

Bearcheese: ?

Horvat, Kenins, Vey, others increase: ?

Rookie: ?

Change is coming. The Canucks are presenting some awesome opportunities for players to improve. I think that's an automatic, and the only question is, by how much? And which new rookie will rise to the occasion and take an NHL spot? It's going to be an exciting ride.

Canucks goals outbound:

Canucks goals inbound:

Change is coming. The Canucks are presenting some awesome opportunities for players to improve. I think that's an automatic, and the only question is, by how much? And which new rookie will rise to the occasion and take an NHL spot? It's going to be an exciting ride.

Great entertainment eh? :)

Canucks goals outbound:

Canucks goals inbound:

Agree. excited to see our next Horvot this year . virtanen? Shinkaruk? Cassels??

Draft is over, and the free agency frenzy is nearly complete. As it stands now, where do you think teams will end up in the West?

1) Anaheim

2) Minnesota

3) Calgary

4) Nashville

5) Chicago

6) St. Louis

7) LA

8) Winnipeg

--------------------

9) Dallas

10) Colorado

11) Edmonton

12) San Jose

13) Vancouver

14) Arizona

Top 7 pick for Vancouver?

Really? Vancouver won 48 games last year. We lose Kassian and Bieksa and now we are 2nd worst? Mathias and Richardson will be replaced by youth.

I think Calgary will have the Avalanche effect from 2 years ago. Barely squeak in

1) Anaheim

2) Nashville

3) Vancouver

4) Chicago

5) St. Louis

6) Winnipeg

7) LA

8) Calgary

--------------------

9) Minnesota

10) Dallas

11) Colorado

12) San Jose

13) Edmonton

14) Arizona

The Avalanche effect was essentially that they were a poor possession team that had unbelievable goaltending and a lot of puck luck, winning close games with unsustainable shooting percentage.

Calgary was also not a great possession team but adding Hamilton and Frolik as well as getting Gio back should improve the possession metrics. They also get a former 18 year old for a full season giving them a much better balanced line up when you know have Bennett and Frolik in the top 6. I do feel they improved and while I don't think they will be near the top of the Pacific they will be solidly in the Playoffs.

Let me take my run at this:

Anaheim (Pacific is not great now)

Nashville (Still best in the division, goaltending and D-D-D)

Minnesota (if get good goaltending all year)

St.Louis (still good, some drop off)

Winnipeg (think developing better balance in scoring)

Calgary (improved and in weak Pacific)

Chicago (will take a while with all the changes and tough division)

LA (they just have to be eighth they alway are)

-------

Dallas (the return of the Russian but not any better on D, maybe in net)

Edmonton (better but a lot to learn)

Vancouver (Another year older and top four role for Sbisa, less balanced lineup than last year with Vey or unknown rookie as 3/4 C)

Colorado (Had amazing centre depth 2 years ago, starting to improve D with Zadorov but killer division)

SJ (what are they doing? Do they know?)

Arizona (Just awful team)

I frankly thing Calgary, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Edmonton, Colorado and Vancouver could be within five points of each other. SJ I just don't get what they are doing, another great lesson in how NTC keep you from rebuilding when you need to rebuild (i.e.: Canucks, Vancouver).

Funny looking at the summer it looked like the Pacific was bulking up but other than Anaheim, I see no great team. LA has problems on D and just find it hard to take games seriously but may come back strong. Calgary has the potential to get there but needs a few years. Edmonton has a truly staggering amount of quality youngsters but is still very young and I am not sure about their goaltending still. SJ who knows. Arizona is awful. While I think it will be harder to get points against the Alberta teams it is not like a few years ago where a California trip was facing three 100+ point teams.

With our luck is we will hang on this year for a middle of the road pick and get awful just when expansion comes and after losing the lottery we will pick 6th in a weak draft.

PACIFIC DIVISION

1. * Anaheim

2. * Los Angeles

3. * Calgary

4. Vancouver

5. Edmonton

6. San Jose

7. Arizona

CENTRAL DIVISION

1. * Chicago

2. * St. Louis

3. * Nashville

4. * Winnipeg

5. * Minnisota

6. Colorado

7. Dallas

*= playoffs

Pacific

1 Calgry

2 Edmonton

3 Anahiem

4 LA

5 Arizona

6 San Jose

7 Canucks

Eastern

1 Chicago

2 Winnepeg

3 Minny

4 nashville

5 St Louis

6 Colorado

7 Dallas

LA and Preds for wild card

I think well to go for the lotto pick next year after bennings dis grace this summer

Archived