The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nonis to join Bieksa and Kesler in Duckland....

Dave Nonis was hired by the Anaheim Ducks Friday as Special Assignment Scout and Consultant to Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Thursday that the Toronto Maple Leafs confirmed they have granted the Ducks permission to move forward with interest in hiring their former GM.

The Leafs fired Nonis at the end of last season after finishing the year 30-44-8, the third worst record in the league. Nonis had three years left on his deal.

Nonis, 49, was previously a senior advisor with the Ducks under former general manager Brian Burke. He has twice held a general manager's position in the NHL, with the Vancouver Canucks from 2004-08 and Toronto from 2013-15.

"TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Thursday that the Toronto Maple Leafs confirmed they have granted the Ducks permission to move forward with interest in hiring their former GM."

You need permission to hire a former GM that was fired?

"TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Thursday that the Toronto Maple Leafs confirmed they have granted the Ducks permission to move forward with interest in hiring their former GM."

You need permission to hire a former GM that was fired?

If he's still under contract

Nonis was being pressured by the Aquilinis to trade Edler, Schneider, and Kesler to TB for Brad Richards and change during the 2008 season. Say what you will about him, but he could have done that trade to save his job, but he knew what the best decision was. 2011 cup run doesn't happen with him.

Source?

Nonis was being pressured by the Aquilinis to trade Edler, Schneider, and Kesler to TB for Brad Richards and change during the 2008 season. Say what you will about him, but he could have done that trade to save his job, but he knew what the best decision was. 2011 cup run doesn't happen with him.

wasn't it Bieksa,Burrows, +?

Who knows, maybe that move would have worked. We'll never know.

It's too bad Nonis is in Anaheim again, because now Dregs will have more dirt on the Canucks.

wasn't it Bieksa,Burrows, +?

I thought that was what Nonis offered, but TB wanted more... This is just what I remember from listening to team1040 (or was it CKNW back then?). I believe Nonis himself said what was required but refused to make the deal because he didn't want to mortgage the team's future.

I thought that was what Nonis offered, but TB wanted more... This is just what I remember from listening to team1040 (or was it CKNW back then?). I believe Nonis himself said what was required but refused to make the deal because he didn't want to mortgage the team's future.

You are right, I remember that interview as well. He was steadfast and he knew it could cost him his job, but making that trade to save his job wasn't something he was prepared to do.

I've always said good on him for that play as that trade still looks bad today.

Source?

Frankly it was, the right play at the time, and it set Mike Gillis up perfect to turn a quality core of talent into a legitimate contender. To his estimable credit, Dave Nonis stuck with his conservative strategy to the end, even refusing to give up a package of Edler, Kesler and Cory Schneider for Brad Richards at the 2008 trade deadline when his job was on the line. It cost him, but it was clearly the right move.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/9/on-dave-nonis-canucks-tenure-and-whether-or-not-the-brian-burke-firing-could-impact-a-luongo-trade

There are other sources that are quite easy to find if you don't like this one.

Archived