The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign Ryan O'Reilly

O'Reilly AAV is $7.5M

Sorry...I just spit a chunk of granola out of my nose reading this.

On what planet is he worth $7.5 FRIGGING MILLION! For a career high 64 points on a super charged Colorado team for one year. 3 times broken 50 points but only a .53ppg player in the league

Hahahahaha OH man oh man oh man.

Sabresfan how do you feel about this one???

Bonuses are less heavily taxed than salary so that helped bring his demand down from 8M to 7.5M.

With an incredibly front loaded bonus laden contract where a cap hit becomes less every year, he could easily be traded after 3 years. His new team would then only have to pay out of pocket 1 Million per year and his actual cap hit would be pretty low.

GMTM knows his sh*t people!! It's cheating/playing the system, but it's perfectly legal under the rules.

*edit* Well CanucksLegacy just rained on my parade and proved me wrong with math. I take my posts back. ROR is overpaid.....

Sorry...I just spit a chunk of granola out of my nose reading this.

On what planet is he worth $7.5 FRIGGING MILLION! For a career high 64 points on a super charged Colorado team for one year. 3 times broken 50 points but only a .53ppg player in the league

Hahahahaha OH man oh man oh man.

Sabresfan how do you feel about this one???

Read my post that I just posted. GMTM actually was brilliant with his contract. It's a good thing that the owner of the Sabres is a multi-billionaire who wants to win championships!!!

God darn, I love legalized cheating!!! First the double tank and now this!!! GMTM = Excellent NHL GM.

*edit* Well CanucksLegacy just rained on my parade and proved me wrong with math. I take my posts back. ROR is overpaid.....

Bonuses are less heavily taxed than salary so that helped bring his demand down from 8M to 7.5M.

With an incredibly front loaded bonus laden contract where a cap hit becomes less every year, he could easily be traded after 3 years. His new team would then only have to pay out of pocket 1 Million per year and his actual cap hit would be pretty low.

GMTM knows his sh*t people!! It's cheating/playing the system, but it's perfectly legal under the rules.

Read my post that I just posted. GMTM actually was brilliant with his contract. It's a good thing that the owner of the Sabres is a multi-billionaire who wants to win championships!!!

God darn, I love legalized cheating!!! First the double tank and now this!!! GMTM = Excellent NHL GM.

That cap hit doesn't change though man. While it might be attractive to teams down the road it sure screws them for signing zadorov eichel reinhardt etc in 3 years if the cap raises are as negligible as this year no?

That cap hit doesn't change though man. While it might be attractive to teams down the road it sure screws them for signing zadorov eichel reinhardt etc in 3 years if the cap raises are as negligible as this year no?

Yes it does. The cap hit is as follows, 10, 8, 7.5, 5, 5, 5 and 5. He gets relatively cheap after year 3. Also, Zadorov isn't with the Sabres. He plays for Colorado now.

7.5? Geez. Makes the Sedins deal look like a bargain.

Edit: The cap hit is the same across the whole term? The only thing is the salary goes down because it is front loaded?

Read my posts. His cap hit doesn't stay at 7.5 million per year. It starts out front heavy and then goes down to 5M per year after the 3rd season.

Soooooo why was there a lockout again?

So teams with ultra-wealthy free spending owners like the Sabres have can buy Stanley Cups!! ::D

In what world is Kesler worth 5, Saad 6 and O'Reilly 7.5...

With the contracts increasing by such a big amount of money.. Are we sure that the teams' revenue is increase as well?

This is an NFL tactic that the Sabres are using for the NHL now. It's a decently ballsy move by GMTM. Front loaded contracts like this give a competitive advantage to teams with owners who have money to burn like the Sabres, Leafs, Kings, etc.

Read my posts. His cap hit doesn't stay at 7.5 million per year. It starts out front heavy and then goes down to 5M per year after the 3rd season.

I believe for all contracts the cap hit stays the same throughout the entire length, hence, AAV (average annual value). What Friedman tweeted is the amount O'reilly is entitled to each year in terms.

Signing bonuses: 10 + 8 + 7.5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 45.5 then add the 1m salary x 7 years = 52.5m.

52.5m over 7 years = 7.5m caphit.

I believe for all contracts the cap hit stays the same throughout the entire length, hence, AAV (average annual value). What Friedman tweeted is the amount O'reilly is entitled to each year in terms.

Signing bonuses: 10 + 8 + 7.5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 45.5 then add the 1m salary x 7 years = 52.5m.

52.5m over 7 years = 7.5m caphit.

CRAP! I just did the math. You're right.............

OK. I'm much less happy then. He's overpaid.

Cap hit has always been the average of the entire contract. Why do you think loophole contracts like luongo existed? It was to lower the aav and hence cap hit.

Cap hit has always been the average of the entire contract. Why do you think loophole contracts like luongo existed? It was to lower the aav and hence cap hit.

Yep. Just did the math. You and CanucksLegacy are right. I'm much less happy now... lol

Apology accepted.

It just doesn't make sense if that was the case. Like look throughout the NHL, there are no contracts that decrease in terms of cap hit.

You caught me before my edit. You're 100% right. I thought that the Sabres were pulling an NFL style contract.

You and your darn math skills ruined it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Archived