The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign Ryan O'Reilly

Ridiculous, they gave him a chris drury contract

The $1 million in salary per year makes him slightly easier to trade if the time ever comes, but that 7.5M cap hit definitely stings. He was already overpaid at over 6M with Colorado.

You caught me before my edit. You're 100% right. I thought that the Sabres were pulling an NFL style contract.

You and your darn math skills ruined it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Well i'd say your point is still valid, the contract could be attractive to some teams. To my knowledge, the signing bonuses are paid by the Sabres since they were the ones who "signed" him to his contract. Although the cap hit is quite high, a team would only have to pay $1m salary (actual cash) each year if they acquired O'reilly.

For examples sake, say Canucks acquire him next season, his cap hit is 7.5m but the Aquillinis would need to pay him $1m each year for the remainder of his contract. More attractive to owners (who pay salaries) than it is to GMs (who need to fit cap hits under the limit).

Well i'd say your point is still valid, the contract could be attractive to some teams. To my knowledge, the signing bonuses are paid by the Sabres since they were the ones who "signed" him to his contract. Although the cap hit is quite high, a team would only have to pay $1m salary (actual cash) each year if they acquired O'reilly.

For examples sake, say Canucks acquire him next season, his cap hit is 7.5m but the Aquillinis would need to pay him $1m each year for the remainder of his contract. More attractive to owners (who pay salaries) than it is to GMs (who need to fit cap hits under the limit).

Exactly. It's a smart move by GMTM. Also, he was able to shave 500k per year off of ROR's demand of 8M/yr. just by giving him a giant signing bonus.

Both were smart moves, but that 7.5M cap hit is still too much for ROR. I have a feeling he's going to get traded right before players like Eichel and Reinhart need to sign their own new contracts. So ROR could basically turn into a 3 year rental while there is still cap space to burn.

I would assume the bonus isn't one lump sum today and is paid yearly. Ie 10m this year means 1m salary and 9m bonus. Then 8m next year means 1m salary and 7m bonus, etc. Whoever owns him on July 1st each year is responsible for the signing bonus that year like the leafs paying kessel 4m in bonus money before trading him to pitts saving the pens 4m.

No the signing bonus is paid every year on July 1 (around this date). If a team acquires him, they will need to pay for his signing bonus starting the next payout day.

I would assume the bonus isn't one lump sum today and is paid yearly. Ie 10m this year means 1m salary and 9m bonus. Then 8m next year means 1m salary and 7m bonus, etc. Whoever owna him on July 1st each year is responsible for the signing bonus that year like the leafs paying kessel 4m in bonus money before trading him to pitts saving the pens 4m.

Pretty much, but after year 3 his contract becomes very reasonable. 1M salary & 4M bonus. He would still be attractive to other team's owners since the bulk of his contract is paid by then.

No the signing bonus is paid every year on July 1 (around this date). If a team acquires him, they will need to pay for his signing bonus starting the next payout day.

Copy/Paste from above post:

Pretty much, but after year 3 his contract becomes very reasonable. 1M salary & 4M bonus. He would still be attractive to other team's owners since the bulk of his contract is paid by then.

In what world is Kesler worth 5, Saad 6 and O'Reilly 7.5...

With the contracts increasing by such a big amount of money.. Are we sure that the teams' revenue is increase as well?

Well when Kesler got his new contract he was absolutely worth $5+ million as one of the best 2nd line centers 1st line RWs in the league. But this is nuts

Well when Kesler got his new contract he was absolutely worth $5+ million as one of the best 2nd line centers 1st line RWs in the league. But this is nuts

It's no biggie. ROR won't be with the Sabres after year 3 of that contract. GMTM left himself with a trade friendly "out".

Just look at Brian Campbell in Florida, his overpaid butt has been making over 7 mill. per year for 5 or 6 years now and his contract has no bonuses. Florida has been eating that whole salary for some time now.

Yeah. The contract is buyout proof, but trade friendly for teams wanting to reach the cap floor.

Yeah. The contract is buyout proof, but trade friendly for teams wanting to reach the cap floor.

I like what GMTM did to get the cap hit from 8 to 7.5 and the way that he structured the contract. ROR is overpaid, but the Sabres need to stay above the cap floor for the next 3 years and this is a good way to do it.

ROR took the bonus money over salary because in the USA, bonus money is taxed less than an actual salary. It's another unfair advantage that US teams have over Canadian teams.

ROR took the bonus money over salary because in the USA, bonus money is taxed less than an actual salary. It's another unfair advantage that US teams have over Canadian teams.

Makes you wonder why this is the first time a contract was structured this way. Leave it to Ryan O'Moneybags to find every last loophole to get every last cent! Wonder if this type of contract becomes a trend.

Makes you wonder why this is the first time a contract was structured this way. Leave it to Ryan O'Moneybags to find every last loophole to get every last cent! Wonder if this type of contract becomes a trend.

I think this was more of GMTM's doing. ROR is still pocketing what he would have on a normal 8M contract. He's just pocketing the lion's share at the start of the new bonus laden contract. It was just a way for GMTM to shave off 500k from his cap hit.

ROR is still overpaid, but the Sabres have the cap space to do it for the next 3 or 4 years then they can trade him to a budget conscious team like the Senators, Panthers, Coyotes, etc.

Yes it does. The cap hit is as follows, 10, 8, 7.5, 5, 5, 5 and 5. He gets relatively cheap after year 3. Also, Zadorov isn't with the Sabres. He plays for Colorado now.

*edit* Well CanucksLegacy just rained on my parade and proved me wrong with math. I take my posts back. ROR is overpaid.....

Lol.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I love Americans knowledge about hockey. J/k sb.

But ya like hippy said, this is a brutal deal for buffalo.

Lol.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I love Americans knowledge about hockey. J/k sb.

But ya like hippy said, this is a brutal deal for buffalo.

Sadly it was basic arithmetic that tripped me up.... lol I swear, 90% of the time when I get overly cocky about things, it comes back to bite me in the butt. :lol:

The contract isn't actually that bad for the Sabres. They need to stay above the cap floor while Eichel, Reinhart, and the others are on their ELC's. That means that with the lower salary + lower bonus starting in the 4th year, ROR becomes very trade friendly to budget conscious teams. Don't forget that the Sabres paid that plug Meszaros over 4M last year just so they could get above the cap floor. I'd rather overpay ROR for 3 or 4 years than have to watch Meszaros try and play hockey.

Exactly. It's a smart move by GMTM. Also, he was able to shave 500k per year off of ROR's demand of 8M/yr. just by giving him a giant signing bonus.

Both were smart moves, but that 7.5M cap hit is still too much for ROR. I have a feeling he's going to get traded right before players like Eichel and Reinhart need to sign their own new contracts. So ROR could basically turn into a 3 year rental while there is still cap space to burn.

This move isn't genius your GM overpaid O'Reilly by 2 million. No one would have even given him more than 6 per year so saying you saved 500k and its a smart move is not exactly true its a stupid signing. O'reilly is an okay second line centre he is not an elite shutdown centre and he isn't going to break out and score 40 goals he will stay around where he was at 20 goals 30 assists.

This move isn't genius your GM overpaid O'Reilly by 2 million. No one would have even given him more than 6 per year so saying you saved 500k and its a smart move is not exactly true its a stupid signing. O'reilly is an okay second line centre he is not an elite shutdown centre and he isn't going to break out and score 40 goals he will stay around where he was at 20 goals 30 assists.

I can tell that the reasons behind the contract is structured the way that it is hasn't sunk in yet for you. ROR is getting highly overpaid, but that works to get the Sabres over the cap floor, but by the time that his contract extension reaches past the 3rd year, he will be a great candidate to trade to a budget conscious team who will gladly take the cap hit if it means they only have to pay him 5M per year instead of 7.5M. The Sabres will trade him for picks and or prospects.

This is no run-of-the-mill ordinary contract. It's structured perfectly. It's a pay cash now then recoup your investment after a trade contract. Don't be surprised if other money/cash flush teams start doing the same thing.

ROR won't be in Buffalo longer than 3 or 4 years. I'll give you time to reason it all out. Read the previous posts that me and the other posters reasoned out once we got all of the information worked out.

Archived