The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Joel Ward to Sharks

Sooooo literally everybody around us has gotten better...

#TankForMatthews

Ward's a good player but he's 35 and he's slow.

Don't you worry, the Sharks will be pacing us this season for recent 'contenders' in a world of hurt.

So we should consider trading Hammer, Burr, and Vrbata asap. Operation Buffalo Sabres is a go. :bigblush:

Yeah, Hammer could always come back. He shouldn't mind a chance on a contender. Must deal Hamuis and Vrbata before the deadline. Tons of assets to be returned.

I don't get it, we're supposed to laugh at them for doing this, but applaud when we did the exact same thing last off-season?

Except we got second in the division, the 34 year old goalie won us most our games, had pro hockey's longest shutout streak and the other 34 year old led our team in goals.

Safe to say it paid dividends. Doubt it will for San Jose tho

The Sharks played better last year when the had 20 something (23?) year old Matt Tennyson rookie playing 20 minutes a night for injured guys.

Then fell apart when the injured guys came back. I would be keen to try and grab Tennyson, who they do not appear to be (as JB calls it) ''making room for."

Further, I don't think anyone has picked up Matt Irwin yet including the Sharks? Maybe its him who is the real Paul Martin casualty.

Just thinking out loud, because as others have mentioned its a bit confusing.

I'm guessing Franson to LA. Lol the division keeps getting tougher. I love it though will give our young guys a challenge. I thought we'd get a top 10 pick but if Franson signs in LA like I think hes going too. We may get an even higher pick. :) I'm ok with that the rebuild is here change has come! The org can say it wants to remain competitive which we will im sure but were going to have a hard time making the playoffs unless our rookies have massive breakout seasons.

I'm fine with it :D

Book it though Franson to LA if he doesnt sign here.

Franson seems less of a commodity than I am sure he had hoped. Or he would have been signed by now for decent bucks?

Scored but was chastised for being a bit soft defensively in TO. Bit of a fail in Nashville.

Wonder where he will fall?

Have to laugh at the sentiments in here - OMGZZZ, even the Sharks are getting better!

Meanwhile, folks here complaining that they don't understand the direction this team is taking....

San Jose has an old core of 35 year olds in Thornton, Marleau.

Instead of retooling, they go out and add a pair of 34 year olds in Martin and Ward.

They'll have a tandem of Martin and Stalock at the back of it.

If you're looking for an unclear direction for a franchise, well, there you have it.

I guess they figure they're going to take another run with their oldtimers.

Should call up Dougie again and see if he wants any more additions to his old folks home. See what picks he has left to surrender up so they can pretend to contend again.

Should call up Dougie again and see if he wants any more additions to his old folks home. See what picks he has left to surrender up so they can pretend to contend again.

I was surprised to hear he was the frontrunner for Bieksa tbh. I wasn't about to second guess it or look a gift horse, but in the back of my mind I was certainly wondering wtf he's doing with that team.

It's one thing to add veterans for nothing in free agency as you continue to retool, but where exactly is the undercurrent of retooling in what San Jose is doing - and moreover, to be dangling picks for 34 year old defensemen? Bizarre.

Given their apparent stay the course approach, I'm surprised they did not make a pitch for MIller. If they did and the Canucks said no, I'd be pretty disappointed tbh.

I was surprised to hear he was the frontrunner for Bieksa tbh. I wasn't about to second guess it or look a gift horse, but in the back of my mind I was certainly wondering wtf he's doing with that team.

It's one thing to add veterans for nothing in free agency as you continue to retool, but where exactly is the undercurrent of retooling in what San Jose is doing - and moreover, to be dangling picks for 34 year old defensemen? Bizarre.

Given their apparent stay the course approach, I'm surprised they did not make a pitch for MIller. If they did and the Canucks said no, I'd be pretty disappointed tbh.

Same.

The sharks are just pretenders... There's no way they're going to make the playoffs with veteran core roster. Sure it worked well for us but don't think it'll work for em. I honestly think this team should be rebuilding. Douggie just doesn't know that and thinks he can still win the cup. Ffs the canucks have a better chance of winning the cup next season...

Franson seems less of a commodity than I am sure he had hoped. Or he would have been signed by now for decent bucks?

Scored but was chastised for being a bit soft defensively in TO. Bit of a fail in Nashville.

Wonder where he will fall?

Yeah maybe he wants to much. Maybe he's just waiting to see if he can land himself either in van or a good situation for a cup run. LA is prob waiting to see what their cap situation will be like with voynov too. Anyone know LAs current cap hit with Lucic?

Archived