The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Joel Ward to Sharks

Good signing for the Sharks, but I have my doubts on the team. Specifically, Thornton and Marleau. Both need to go before the Sharks can become contenders again. Especially with the tension right now between them and management.

so we lose bieksa, kassian, matthias, richardson, and lack off our roster, and add beartschi, markstrom, clendenning, virtanen and some fans think we go from having a playoff group to having a bottom 3 team? lmao...

#haveaclueyouidiotsdonot

I don't get it, we're supposed to laugh at them for doing this, but applaud when we did the exact same thing last off-season?

Except we got second in the division, the 34 year old goalie won us most our games, had pro hockey's longest shutout streak and the other 34 year old led our team in goals.

Safe to say it paid dividends. Doubt it will for San Jose tho

I think the core deserved one more shot last year after the debacle the previous year hence the Vrbata and Miller signings and besides I am not sure our prospects were ready to be inserted into the lineup if we started to tear it apart last year except maybe Corrado. Makes some sense for Benning to move some picks for older prospects such as Baertschi, Clendening and Pedan who the first two have a much better shot at succeeding this year. Then add the possibility of Virtanen, Gaunce, Shink, Jensen either making it or being call ups for the latter three.

so we lose bieksa, kassian, matthias, richardson, and lack off our roster, and add beartschi, markstrom, clendenning, virtanen and some fans think we go from having a playoff group to having a bottom 3 team? lmao...

#haveaclueyouidiotsdonot

Cut them some slack... Its the same bone heads that said we'll be bottom of the west last off season too! =)

#haveaclueyouidiotsdonot

It's not so much that we got worse but more so that every team in our division got better. Even if by some miracle we make the playoffs (which we won't) we will just be knocked out in the first round again, if your not gonna go all the way why go at all?

Yeah, Hammer could always come back. He shouldn't mind a chance on a contender. Must deal Hamuis and Vrbata before the deadline. Tons of assets to be returned.

Except with benning doing the trades it would be hamhuis and a 5th for a 7th. And vrbata for a 35 year old 4th liner with some kid willie coached in jr. but isn't good enough to make any other team.

There is no way LA will sign Franson. While they do have the cap space at around 7m, I think they much rather use it to fulfill organizational depth needs such as an extra skater or so in case of injury as well as a 7th and 8th d-man considering they only have 6 on their roster. I doubt Schultz will even be given a chance to play in the NHL again with the Kings.

Besides, Franson is looking for term and money. There's no way LA would throw that at Franson when they need to re-sign Kopitar to a long term deal giving him a raise next off season and if they have plans to keep Lucic in LA.

Living a life of regret for not capitalizing on his opportunity to continue playing with the Sedins

His post-NHL career includes a foray into the music biz as well as a current gig as an analyst on U.S. TV. I hardly think he's "living a life of regret" for not bowing down and kissing the feet of Canucks management for the opportunity to play with the twins. They've got just as many Cups now as he retired with, remember?

Archived