The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 free agents Benning is planning to target

homersexual

If Benning's plan is to have enough cap space to target high end free agents in 2016, who do you think he has his eye on.

Considering he tried to trade for Lucic*, my guess is he very well could be a Canuck next summer. LA doesn't really have the cap space to sign him so he might be a one year rental player for them.

No chance Stamkos* becomes a free agent. Brent Seabrook* would look pretty good on our D.

Would love to see him go after David Backes*.

* if available

It's Lucic. End Story. Lucic will be a Canuck next year. His numbers will be down again this year with the Kings, then then Benning will overpay him and Lucic will be sold because he's a Vancouver boy. He wants to make up for 2011 because this is his home town and for his dad. He'll make us forget about Kassian but it won't matter.

David Backes is a proven no show in the playoffs. Stay away. St.Louis might trade him like they did with Oshie. Stamkos is either staying or signing with the leafs for league max. Seabrook is a No.2. He's smart enough to know that signing here would accomplish nothing .

It's Lucic. End Story. Lucic will be a Canuck next year. His numbers will be down again this year with the Kings, then then Benning will overpay him and Lucic will be sold because he's a Vancouver boy. He wants to make up for 2011 because this is his home town and for his dad. He'll make us forget about Kassian but it won't matter.

David Backes is a proven no show in the playoffs. Stay away. St.Louis might trade him like they did with Oshie. Stamkos is either staying or signing with the leafs for league max. Seabrook is a No.2. He's smart enough to know that signing here would accomplish nothing .

spot on chap

It's Lucic. End Story. Lucic will be a Canuck next year. His numbers will be down again this year with the Kings, then then Benning will overpay him and Lucic will be sold because he's a Vancouver boy.

+1.37 million

Want it or not, Lucic will be coming to Vancouver. No matter the cost, Benning will sign him. Don't tell anyone this, but BENNING WILL PAY ANYTHING!!! Sad. If you look in the "Armchair GM" forum, I posted a few days ago that I predict on July 1, 2016, Benning will sign Lucic to a 7 year deal (the max length possible) for about $7 million a year. Sound ridiculous? Maybe. But that's what a bonafide top 6, 28 year old guy gets these days if you look around the league. Even if I am wrong, it will be maybe $6 million, but nothing less. Some people posted they would sign lucic for $5 million a year for 2 years... HA! Lucic would need to have the worst agent on earth to get a deal like that.

I would hope he try's to get Seabrook.

Although Seabrook would be nice (BC boy), here's five VERY GOOD reasons why it won't be Seabrook:

1) Seabrook is 3 years older than Lucic. Seabrook would be 31 at the start of next season, Lucic would be 28. We already know how "old, wore out defensemen" play. All that playoff/cup mileage on Seabrook's body?? Can't be very good at all. I bet he will break down soon (probably after he signs a huge fat contract in UFA)

2) Of all the UFA's, Seabrook is going to be the most OVERPAID and OVERRATED because of his 3 cups with Chicago. His agent is going to get him $$$$$ and good for Seabrook, but it won't be from us (hopefully)

3) Jim Benning is very familiar with Lucic. He knows him well from his Boston days. He isn't as familiar with Seabrook.

4) We don't need defense. We have good depth. Tanev and Edler are signed long term and many young prospects on their way up (let's not forget tiny Jordan Subban, who may surprise). On the other hand, we have no 2nd line right now, and in a couple of years we might not have a 1st line.

5) By signing Lucic, we take him away from a division rival, versus signing Seabrook away from an eastern conference team.

Just my opinions anyways. I'd be ticked off if we paid $7 million a year (and he will get it too) for Seabrook. No thanks.

Although Seabrook would be nice (BC boy), here's five VERY GOOD reasons why it won't be Seabrook:

1) Seabrook is 3 years older than Lucic. Seabrook would be 31 at the start of next season, Lucic would be 28. We already know how "old, wore out defensemen" play. All that playoff/cup mileage on Seabrook's body?? Can't be very good at all. I bet he will break down soon (probably after he signs a huge fat contract in UFA)

2) Of all the UFA's, Seabrook is going to be the most OVERPAID and OVERRATED because of his 3 cups with Chicago. His agent is going to get him $$$$$ and good for Seabrook, but it won't be from us (hopefully)

3) Jim Benning is very familiar with Lucic. He knows him well from his Boston days. He isn't as familiar with Seabrook.

4) We don't need defense. We have good depth. Tanev and Edler are signed long term and many young prospects on their way up (let's not forget tiny Jordan Subban, who may surprise). On the other hand, we have no 2nd line right now, and in a couple of years we might not have a 1st line.

5) By signing Lucic, we take him away from a division rival, versus signing Seabrook away from an eastern conference team.

Just my opinions anyways. I'd be ticked off if we paid $7 million a year (and he will get it too) for Seabrook. No thanks.

Sebrook traded after 1st cup i think

Archived