The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 free agents Benning is planning to target

homersexual

dream world

Milan Lucic 4 years <<6.25 ( Hopefully )

Brent Seabrook 3 years 6.25 million per

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata ( 1 year 4 million )

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Bonino-Burrows

Kenins-(UFA)-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Seabrook

Sbisa-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Higgins+ Hansen gone = 5 million

Hamhuis gone = 4.5

= 9.5 million off the books

Although Seabrook would be nice (BC boy), here's five VERY GOOD reasons why it won't be Seabrook:

1) Seabrook is 3 years older than Lucic. Seabrook would be 31 at the start of next season, Lucic would be 28. We already know how "old, wore out defensemen" play. All that playoff/cup mileage on Seabrook's body?? Can't be very good at all. I bet he will break down soon (probably after he signs a huge fat contract in UFA)

2) Of all the UFA's, Seabrook is going to be the most OVERPAID and OVERRATED because of his 3 cups with Chicago. His agent is going to get him $$$$$ and good for Seabrook, but it won't be from us (hopefully)

3) Jim Benning is very familiar with Lucic. He knows him well from his Boston days. He isn't as familiar with Seabrook.

4) We don't need defense. We have good depth. Tanev and Edler are signed long term and many young prospects on their way up (let's not forget tiny Jordan Subban, who may surprise). On the other hand, we have no 2nd line right now, and in a couple of years we might not have a 1st line.

5) By signing Lucic, we take him away from a division rival, versus signing Seabrook away from an eastern conference team.

Just my opinions anyways. I'd be ticked off if we paid $7 million a year (and he will get it too) for Seabrook. No thanks.

We don't need defence?

Whoa, dude...

COHO

/thread

lol

No thanks.

Lololololol...

Although Seabrook would be nice (BC boy), here's five VERY GOOD reasons why it won't be Seabrook:

1) Seabrook is 3 years older than Lucic. Seabrook would be 31 at the start of next season, Lucic would be 28. We already know how "old, wore out defensemen" play. All that playoff/cup mileage on Seabrook's body?? Can't be very good at all. I bet he will break down soon (probably after he signs a huge fat contract in UFA)

2) Of all the UFA's, Seabrook is going to be the most OVERPAID and OVERRATED because of his 3 cups with Chicago. His agent is going to get him $$$$$ and good for Seabrook, but it won't be from us (hopefully)

3) Jim Benning is very familiar with Lucic. He knows him well from his Boston days. He isn't as familiar with Seabrook.

4) We don't need defense. We have good depth. Tanev and Edler are signed long term and many young prospects on their way up (let's not forget tiny Jordan Subban, who may surprise). On the other hand, we have no 2nd line right now, and in a couple of years we might not have a 1st line.

5) By signing Lucic, we take him away from a division rival, versus signing Seabrook away from an eastern conference team.

Just my opinions anyways. I'd be ticked off if we paid $7 million a year (and he will get it too) for Seabrook. No thanks.

So having a mediocre defence is okay with you?

Lucic and Seabrook would be nice, but they're both getting older and slower. Regardless, they'd be nice complementary players and Cup winners to help groom our younger guys while we also try to win a Cup.

However, we've got plenty of right handed defencemen, and there are some nice looking left handers on the market to replace Hamhuis if we let him go. Kris Russel and Giordano will ask for lots and Calgary may be just able to squeeze them all under their cap, but Keith Yandle will still be under 30 and available.

I believe we'll have around 20M to play with.

1) Yandle 4 years at 6.5M (we need a puck mover and Hamhuis will most likely be leaving or not playing big minutes any more)

2) Lucic 4 years at 4.5M (his goal totals are down - I wouldn't like Lucic here but Benning would, and by the time this contract expires Boeser and Virtanen will be ready for the NHL)

3) Hamhuis 1 year 3.5M

4) Loui Eriksson, Okposo or Grabner (similar value) at 3 years 4.5M

5) Seabrook at 3 years 6M

We could load up on either defence or wing, but I'd love to snag a real top pairing in Yandle and Seabrook plus a depth winger like Grabner or even Lucic. 3 players at under 20M. Flip Sbisa to Pittsburgh for a pick and we free up even more space.

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

Dorsett - Bonino - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Cassels - Hansen

Yandle - Seabrook

Edler - Tanev

Bartowski - Clendening

Corrado

Suddenly, you've got a team full of veterans who have either won a Cup or been in the SCF, and a bunch of kids who are winners at their own levels. That is a team of winners. Every older player there has played in the Cup finals and done well in the playoffs, and all the kids have played huge roles in their respective Finals.

Basically, Yandle + Seabrook + Lucic, but it'd never happen. If we could take just one, I'd go hard for Yandle.

I really don't think it will be Lucic, the guy has already said he would never play for Vancouver even though this is where he is from. Second Miller hates Lucic, it would just be a cancer in the room. With MIller signed here for the next 2 years and if he stays, Lucic is not coming here.

{Warning Explicit Language}

I really don't think it will be Lucic, the guy has already said he would never play for Vancouver even though this is where he is from. Second Miller hates Lucic, it would just be a cancer in the room. With MIller signed here for the next 2 years and if he stays, Lucic is not coming here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERA-GY2K1o

{Warning Explicit Language}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvE82q4yKEM

Lucic was recently interviewed and said he was excited to hear the Canucks trying to trade for him

Archived