The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 free agents Benning is planning to target

homersexual

we are gonna trade 2-3 players at the trade deadline if we dont look like we are gonna make the playoffs then benning is gonna sigh/trade a bunch in the offseason and hopfully we get a top 10 pick in this next years draft from not making the playoffs

If we draft well in 2016 then that would justify spending some UFA cash. Otherwise we should just continue with the process.

If we're spending large, I would target:

-Eric Staal. He's a big, fast and skilled franchise center that has a lot more to give. He's being wasted in Carolina.

-Anze Kopitar. Likely unavailable, but who knows.

-Steve Stamkos. Ditto.

-Brent Seabrook.

-Erik Johnson.

-Alex Goligoski.

-Franz Nielsen.

-Shane Doan. Mentor.

-Andrew Ladd.

But I don't really envision us being big UFA players. We may sign some big contracts, but they may be of the overpaying variety on non-difference makers. Fingers-crossed we do better at the draft and free agency than I anticipate.

He'll provide great protection for the Sedins if they stick around and the young players. I'm sure being home Lucic will act differently and he surely like most players and people will mature and make better decisions with age.

His skating I agree is suspect but he claims he is gonna work real hard to get back in shape this year with a full summer. In the interview he said Boston like LA was used to going on long runs and as heavy teams they wore down and got tired without having full summers off to rest and build up their strength and stamina fully.

I would take him over Prust and Dorsett.

Nobody wants to take on Lucic in the modern NHL there are less than guys than ever who can legitimately challenge him as a fighter and still play hockey.

He would tune Ferland or pretty much anyone in the league right now. There are no other heavyweights except him who can still play the game enough to get regular ice time but play with such an aggressive style hitting and fighting wise.

Probably takes a 4 year deal worth 22 mil to get him to seriously consider coming here and getting to play on the Sedins wing.

Not understanding all this hard on for Lucic. He's been a liability for Boston the past couple of seasons with his antics and pretty classless at times (handshake line, running Miller down). I thought the mantra Benning and Linden have been preaching was character and that's not Lucic.

Also most clubs, particularly Montreal manhandled him pretty well last season, taking liberties with him at every turn, hitting, running him down, etc. He's gotten slower and is more likely to cost the Canucks with idiotic and dumb retaliatory penalties. Unless the idea is to go back to being the most hated team in the league again, he's an easy pass for me. There are much better free agents out there that could actually improve the Canucks with better character.

The only way I see us getting the top end guys being mentioned, regardless of the fact that we have $20 mil to spend, would be if the Sedins get moved in the next offseason.

This would signal a watershed change in the organization and would allow us to 'overpay' like is necessary in UFA. By then the brothers would have two years left on their deal and we could expect to get a less than stellar return because our teams would be limited by buyers and their NTCs. This would come with moving Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows etc... as well making it a scorched Earth policy.

If this were to come to pass, as sad as it would be to see them in other colours, then we would likely be taking back a large contract along with some futures. For example, I could imagine a team like Florida or Clb be interested if the Sedins are. Jokinen, Kulikov, Trochek, 1st or Clarkson, Rychel, Wennberg, 1st.

Then we would be in position to offer several heavy contracts like Lucic 7x3, Seabrook 8x4, Staal 8x3, Brouwer 5x4, ....or something like that. Similar to what Minny did three years ago.

I'm not saying it's likely...I'm just saying it isn't impossible either.

A motivated Byfuglien would be amazing. He has the ability to shore up our defence, or play with the Sedins up front.
Motivated is the key word, but since he threw Kane's clothes in the shower because he was fed up with his attitude, he might actually be more passionate than people give him credit for. Even if that was kind of stupid.
Andrew Ladd would also be great. Maybe we can coax both of those guys as they've played together the past few years.

The only way I see us getting the top end guys being mentioned, regardless of the fact that we have $20 mil to spend, would be if the Sedins get moved in the next offseason.

This would signal a watershed change in the organization and would allow us to 'overpay' like is necessary in UFA. By then the brothers would have two years left on their deal and we could expect to get a less than stellar return because our teams would be limited by buyers and their NTCs. This would come with moving Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows etc... as well making it a scorched Earth policy.

If this were to come to pass, as sad as it would be to see them in other colours, then we would likely be taking back a large contract along with some futures. For example, I could imagine a team like Florida or Clb be interested if the Sedins are. Jokinen, Kulikov, Trochek, 1st or Clarkson, Rychel, Wennberg, 1st.

Then we would be in position to offer several heavy contracts like Lucic 7x3, Seabrook 8x4, Staal 8x3, Brouwer 5x4, ....or something like that. Similar to what Minny did three years ago.

I'm not saying it's likely...I'm just saying it isn't impossible either.

I'd rather have the Sedins for 7x3 than any of those guys. At least we know they'd resign for cheap. Since their game is not predicated on speed, I believe they can play 'til 40. They will never become liabilities because they could play 3rd line at the end of their careers, like how they started.

I'd rather have the Sedins for 7x3 than any of those guys. At least we know they'd resign for cheap. Since their game is not predicated on speed, I believe they can play 'til 40. They will never become liabilities because they could play 3rd line at the end of their careers, like how they started.

I agree and would re-up the twins for two more years after this contract. They are still very effective players and can win if surrounded by the right group. Add Lucic or Buff and a bunch of junkyard dogs, with a good level of talent, and we're good. And of course fix the D.

I agree and would re-up the twins for two more years after this contract. They are still very effective players and can win if surrounded by the right group. Add Lucic or Buff and a bunch of junkyard dogs, with a good level of talent, and we're good. And of course fix the D.

Yeah all the guys we want would fit with the Sedins. Those are guys you build around, even at this stage in their careers.

Lucic at no more than 6yr x 6mil... the guy's an absolute beast, would love to have him.

I think we should be in the market for Yandle if he becomes available. 6x6 again.

Re-sign Sedins in 2 years for 3 more years at 2mil each. ---> play on 2nd/3rd line. FA and young guns take over 1st line.

Canucks win the cup in 2019. :bigblush:

Lucic at no more than 6yr x 6mil... the guy's an absolute beast, would love to have him.

I think we should be in the market for Yandle if he becomes available. 6x6 again.

Re-sign Sedins in 2 years for 3 more years at 2mil each. ---> play on 2nd/3rd line. FA and young guns take over 1st line.

Canucks win the cup in 2019. :bigblush:

Lucic would have to have a pretty good year go warrant getting 6 million for 6 years. He'll be old and slow by the end of his contract and we will be stuck with this $6 million deadweight.

Um... Why is nobody talking about Kopitar?

Same reason that nobody is talking about Stamkos or Voracek. There's basically zero chance that they won't sign extensions this year.

Personally, I hope we skip the UFA crop next season. None of the guys mentioned fit with the stated goal of getting younger and faster.

I'd be okay with a defensive minded D-man like Russell, or a bigger guy with a mean streak, who can clear the crease. Otherwise, I hope we sit it out.

Lucic would have to have a pretty good year go warrant getting 6 million for 6 years. He'll be old and slow by the end of his contract and we will be stuck with this $6 million deadweight.

If we would have to give him 6x6 to come here i would still do it. After the Sedins' contract is up there is most likely nobody filling that cap space anyways, but obviously most of us are hoping he takes a hometown discount if he does reach free agency.

Archived