The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 free agents Benning is planning to target

homersexual

Not understanding all this hard on for Lucic. He's been a liability for Boston the past couple of seasons with his antics and pretty classless at times (handshake line, running Miller down). I thought the mantra Benning and Linden have been preaching was character and that's not Lucic.

Also most clubs, particularly Montreal manhandled him pretty well last season, taking liberties with him at every turn, hitting, running him down, etc. He's gotten slower and is more likely to cost the Canucks with idiotic and dumb retaliatory penalties. Unless the idea is to go back to being the most hated team in the league again, he's an easy pass for me. There are much better free agents out there that could actually improve the Canucks with better character.

Of course there are better free agents and he is looking slower. But he mentioned he thinks he can get back to the level he was before this past season with a good summer. He mentioned how the long playoff runs have wore him down and he needed a full summer to rest and be able to train properly.

I'm aware of his history at the same time he is the type of player the Canucks lack. A true bruising power forward who will intimidate when he is on his game and stick up for teammates.

I think he would be a good fit here with the Sedins but I wouldn't go more than a 4 year deal with him.

Another local guy who is a realistic get is a guy like Troy Brouwer who is a better skater and has a little more skill could be a fit on the wing with the Sedins.

My problem is that many teams now that the 2016 free agent class is potentially great so the Canucks won't be the only team competing for these guys.

If the Canucks have a down year, as many people expect it will be hard to get free agents to come here unless overpaying like Edmonton has done.

I really don't see 3 or 4 "name free agents" being signed. I could easily see Lucic or Brouwer and maybe even Franson.

Besides that I think they would have to overpay to get anyone and they don't have many good trade chips to part with in terms of roster players.

Prospects, picks. and young players at this point should be almost untouchable.

Lucic would have to have a pretty good year go warrant getting 6 million for 6 years. He'll be old and slow by the end of his contract and we will be stuck with this $6 million deadweight.

Have it front loaded so you can easily trade it to a bottom feeder team just to make the salary cap floor

This surely is becoming a Benning team, they're speeding up the process which is cool to see.

We're a Mini-Boston 2.0, 200 ft. beast with Bergeron and Lucic clones, lovin it...

Horvat-Virtanen-McCann-Boeser-Shinkaruk-Pedan-Subban

I love my team

Even if there is a remote chance of getting stamkos, you try and not shrug it of and give up. I dont care how much as you need someone like that.

If by some miracle he actually makes it to free agency, then I'd agree. However, I think the possibility of that happening is extremely remote.

Yzerman has stated that he wants to sign Stammer to an extension and I believe Stamkos wants to stay in T-Bay where he has an excellent chance of winning a Cup, as opposed to jumping ship and being part of a rebuild in Toronto or Vancouver.

It's nice to dream, but the reality of the situation is a dream is as close as we'll get.

I'm hoping Benning adds pieces in these next 2 UFA off seasons and come 2018 make that HUGE splash for John Tavares. I know, the Isles would probably never let him get away but it could be the best timing for canuck fans.

Danny and Hank come off the books in 2018. Burrows most likely gone by 2017? Same goes for Higgins?

Just trying to picture our lines in 2018 if successful on Tavares....

Baertschi. Tavares. Virtanen

? Horvat. Grenier

Shinkaruk. Vey/McCann. Boeser

Gaunce. Vey/McCann/Bonino. Dorsett

Defense

Edler. ?

Hutton. Tanev

Pedan. Clendenning

On the mend...

Cassels

Corrado

Brisbois

Goalies

Extend Markstrom if all goes well.....

Add backup if Demko isn't ready yet.

? Marks represent area's where I think the team can add some 28-32 year old vets to help out the kids. Also I see them as holes right now. Perhaps Shatenkirk to pair with Edler?

This lineup looks too raw and inexperienced still. Ultimately Grenier might make a fine 3rd line RW and Boeser slides up when ready. 1st line/2nd line LW a glaring hole still. Hmmm, one Jamie Benn becomes available? Or does he?

Point of this excersise for me is to still be patient when UFA season rolls around. Secondly, adding one stud C (yes easier said than done) could catapult this team rather quickly with the likes of Horvat, McCann, Vey and even Cassels filling out the remaining C positions.

Finally....my prediction for 2015-16 season. Biggest surprise.... Linden Vey. Expectations are currently low from fan base but I believe all that ice time he received last year with a full off season of understanding what it takes to play C in the bigs will really pay off.

I used to want to have Milan Lucic back here (provide the grit we need, good hockey IQ, etc.), but after what happened to his Dad (won't get anything more from me on this), if I were in Milan's shoes (and granted I'm not), it would better for him to play elsewhere as I think being here would just make the pain worse. I was actually very surprised that Benning wanted to bring him here - I can only guess that Benning somehow didn't know all of the circumstances.

Lucic was recently interviewed and said he was excited to hear the Canucks trying to trade for him

Yeah i think we should get him hes a force noone wants to take on. Hed take a home town discount so maybe 5 years $4.5 million would be great then in next year after this next year

Sedin sedin Burrows

Lucic Horvat Virtanen

Shinckaruk Boneno Grenier

Prust Gaunce Dorset

Or vey or hansen too it sounds really good :)

Archived