The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Why not Cody Franson

Type R

I meant 40 point pace seasons, which he's had a few of. Even last season, despite a terrible Nashville stint, he scored in the high 30s. We had one defenceman eclipse the 30 point mark last season out of 7 guys. That's rediculous.

Meanwhile the Flames will have two 60 point defencemen next season and a couple of 40 point guys. Hamilton alone may well outscore our entire defence when you consider Edler is a 30 point defenceman at best now, Tanev is no better, Hamhuis couldn't score a goal to save his life last year, Bartowski is goal-less in his entire NHL career and a couple of rookies in Corrado and Clendening are stepping in.

You don't produce from the back end and you won't win games in this fast-paced, new-aged NHL. Our offence was too one-dimensional last season, with all the firepower coming from up front, and it was shut down pretty easily. You add a new dimension to every attack such as a puck moving threat like Franson and suddenly we're much harder to defend.

No let's get this straight! He had 4 points in his stint in Nashville in 23 games. Ask yourself why hasn't anybody throwing money at this player that had his highest production was this past season of 36 points? Tell me what a 40 point pace season is again please when he had 21,29 ,32 point seasons.

No let's get this straight! He had 4 points in his stint in Nashville in 23 games. Ask yourself why hasn't anybody throwing money at this player that had his highest production was this past season of 36 points? Tell me what a 40 point pace season is again please when he had 21,29 ,32 point seasons.

That's called some serious smudging of the sheets.

Biega has already showed he can play in the NHL (I'd expect him to be first), and Pedan will almost certainly get an audition at some point. That gives us 10, and Fedun is likely the 11th that fills Bennings quota. Hutton or one of the other rookies could even develop well enough to warrant a look as well.

Actually Pedan was playing on the second or third pairing with Huskins (Utica guys can confirm) and Green has already said he expects him to get a call-up at some point next season. He made great development strides last year and seems to be a year ahead of what Benning originally projected (2 years) when he made the trade.

3 concussions in his early career is concerning. After being KO'd by Stu Bickell he may never be the same as it ended his season. A lot of guys don't recover from that.

To me signing Weber was a mistake, he was one of the biggest liabilities against the Flames in the post season. Franson is a big boy and can stack up here in the west. He is great on the PP and isn't afraid to shoot the puck.

Benning secretly wants to tank one year to get some high end talent. Weber, Bart on 1 yr contracts and deciding not to go after odouya, Erhoff or Franson who will want some term

A gm who truly wanted to make the playoffs would have moved a guy like Higgins and then signed a big d man like the ones mentioned or seekera

Benning secretly wants to tank one year to get some high end talent. Weber, Bart on 1 yr contracts and deciding not to go after odouya, Erhoff or Franson who will want some term

A gm who truly wanted to make the playoffs would have moved a guy like Higgins and then signed a big d man like the ones mentioned or seekera

Except he'd rather get guys next year as they are much better. If you go this year you are out next year

Pass on Franson. ...Seabrook next year...I don't expect much this year....this team needs to lose to get better. That's the only way to make real change not just bandaids. The future looks bright for the Nucks but we need to get through some dark days first. ...plus how cool would it be to have guys named Bo, Hunter, Brock and Austin in our lineup.

Pass on Franson. ...Seabrook next year...I don't expect much this year....this team needs to lose to get better. That's the only way to make real change not just bandaids. The future looks bright for the Nucks but we need to get through some dark days first. ...plus how cool would it be to have guys named Bo, Hunter, Brock and Austin in our lineup.

Seabrook isn't going anywhere

I like Franson, but I think it's term or price with him. He likely wants 3 years or more and I think Benning has a plan. If he would sign for 1 year at 4 million I would do it.

One year makes sense. In fact, I have an idea. Let's sign Franson and Santorelli to one year deals then trade them at the deadline for a first round pick.

I meant 40 point pace seasons, which he's had a few of. Even last season, despite a terrible Nashville stint, he scored in the high 30s. We had one defenceman eclipse the 30 point mark last season out of 7 guys. That's rediculous.

Meanwhile the Flames will have two 60 point defencemen next season and a couple of 40 point guys. Hamilton alone may well outscore our entire defence when you consider Edler is a 30 point defenceman at best now, Tanev is no better, Hamhuis couldn't score a goal to save his life last year, Bartowski is goal-less in his entire NHL career and a couple of rookies in Corrado and Clendening are stepping in.

You don't produce from the back end and you won't win games in this fast-paced, new-aged NHL. Our offence was too one-dimensional last season, with all the firepower coming from up front, and it was shut down pretty easily. You add a new dimension to every attack such as a puck moving threat like Franson and suddenly we're much harder to defend.

And that's exactly the reason why he shouldn't be signed. He is slow and couldn't be relied on to skate the puck out of the zone. He really was not impressive in the Predators' system which is based on speed and constant pressuring from the back end.

I am of the same mindset as some others...We need to leave this alone and let some of the young guys prove their worth at the NHL level.

No better time than now, as we are handcuffed by the cap.Let the young guys play and see what we have. We may have a few diamonds in the rough, but we will never know if we keep bringing in band-aids.

We need some of the bigger NTC contracts to come off the books and by then some of the younger guys will have shown whether or not they can play at the highest level. Unfortunately we are now paying for some of the success we had 4-5 years ago. It is also kind of exciting to see what some of the draft picks will do with their additional ice time.

Who knows, we may have what we need given the opportunity!!

Would be better than Webber at more than 4 times the cost. I think Benning is more interested in gaining Salary cap flexibility next year than adding what is a B level D. He seems to want to swing for the fences for a #1 Dman +/or centre next year.

Maybe Voynov's replacement in LA to complete the stacking of the Pacific division. SJ could use a puck mover.

Sign him and dump Sbisa okay, otherwise stay away.

One year makes sense. In fact, I have an idea. Let's sign Franson and Santorelli to one year deals then trade them at the deadline for a first round pick.

It doesn't make sense for the player

I am of the same mindset as some others...We need to leave this alone and let some of the young guys prove their worth at the NHL level.

No better time than now, as we are handcuffed by the cap.Let the young guys play and see what we have. We may have a few diamonds in the rough, but we will never know if we keep bringing in band-aids.

We need some of the bigger NTC contracts to come off the books and by then some of the younger guys will have shown whether or not they can play at the highest level. Unfortunately we are now paying for some of the success we had 4-5 years ago. It is also kind of exciting to see what some of the draft picks will do with their additional ice time.

Totally agree.

Franson rumor is he wants north of $5 mil and term. That doesn't fit with where the Canucks are. Put

the young d-men in and see what they have. Based on that Benning can decide on the future of Hamhuis

and Edler as trade material come March. Same goes for up front. Give the young forwards some looks and

if positive any combo of Vrbata, Higgins, Burrows, Prust, and even Hanson. 2016 Draft looks very good.

While I wouldnt be horribly upset with a Franson addition, Id only really have interest in a 1 year contract. We are currently doing well in freeing up space for next offseason whichll be offering up better picups than the slow skating Franson.

He will want term for sure, and I dont see locking him up for 4-6 years as a smart move. So in that light Id pass, let the kids play, trade off more veteran assets at the deadline and go into next offseason looking to land a bonified top pair dman via UFA rather than taking another middle of the road filler and not having enough space for an impact player.

Forwards not scoring cost us against the flames not Weber and Sbisa;

Boston - Crash the net, wins Cup

L.A. - Crash the net, wins Cup

Chicago - Crash the net, wins Cup

Vancouver - Never crashes the net, never wins Cup.

Franson has never had a 40pt season.

As or the reason he doesn't fit in with the Canucks right now is if they signed him and didn't trade another dman, they'd lose either Corrado or Clendenning to waivers...their d-core is set..Bartkowski's the 3rd pairing guy to replace Bieksa, and so your 7 & 8th defensemen have to be Frankie and Adam. The day they inked both Weber and Bartkowski, the Franson window closed.

Their only need right now is a depth signing at Centre,...someone to push Vey.

Franson has never had a 40pt season.

As or the reason he doesn't fit in with the Canucks right now is if they signed him and didn't trade another dman, they'd lose either Corrado or Clendenning to waivers...their d-core is set..Bartkowski's the 3rd pairing guy to replace Bieksa, and so your 7 & 8th defensemen have to be Frankie and Adam. The day they inked both Weber and Bartkowski, the Franson window closed.

Their only need right now is a depth signing at Centre,...someone to push Vey.

We have Cassel's to push Vey we dont need anymore signings at centre unless its a #1 guy which we cant afford anyways.

Archived